SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm real late on doing one of these on my wagon but better late than never. I figured I'd share with you all what I've been up to during my absence on here.

How it looked when I picked it up, minus the wheels. I put the stock hood and grill back on.

Little background... I traded my '00 GTI VR6 for my friends '88 245 that he already swapped in a '93 B230FT with a 16T and an M46. Problem was he blew the trans so let's start with that...

Initial trans swap. Picked up another M46 with under 100K just to get it driveable.

First gear remnants

Didn't waste any time doing the turbo swap

Custom manifold, EWUSA wastegate, custom screamer pipe, rebuilt Holset HY35W

Old engine bay

My friend Damian working his magic on my manifold

Gorgeous job

Oil cooler and filter relocation kit. Temporary oil cooler, I will be picking up a better one to put in front of the radiator eventually. As for oil delivery it will be 10AN off the block into the oil cooler. From there 10AN to the remote filter head in. The new filter head has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. The other inlet is plugged. One outlet is 10AN back to the block. The other is 6AN to the turbo inlet, than 10AN oil drain back to the stock return location on the block tapped to 3/4 NPT. This was the turbo gets cool, filtered oil.

Easy oil filter changing now

Temporary location, as stated before I will be picking up one that I will be putting in front of the radiator

Oil pressure sender adapter fitting

Heat sleeves on so the oil doesn't boil from being by the turbo and manifold

The beginning of the 3" downpipe. purchased the 4" to 3" conical reducer and welded it to the V band flange from a Holset exhaust

O2 bungs welded. One for factory O2 and the other for the AEM wideband

Sits a little low but I cant go much higher or else it'll hit the crossmember

PCV evacuation bung

First time trying exhaust wrapping on my own. Not horrible but definitely room for improvement. I wrapped my screamer pipe and downpipe. The reducer section was a huge PITA for a first timer!!

I installed a spark plug heat sleeve so the PCV evacuation bung wouldn't melt the wire

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Motor mount time!! Hockey pucks for now..

Passenger side is straight through

Driver side is offset. Sunk in the bolts so the pucks would lie flat on the metal brackets

Wideband, Boost, Oil pressure, and Water temp gauges install. The factory cluster water temp gauge doesn't work so i got a Prosport one

Water temp sender

Also did the E fan conversion

Intercooler and piping. Had to make custom lower brackets to support the weight of the core

Simple 20 degree bend pipe for the hot side

Extra long 2.5" 90 degree elbow cut short on the one side. 1/2 NPT port installed on the long leg with a 5/8" heater hose fitting off a '50's Chevy and the IAC is routed. Cleaned out the old motor

Cold side installed with generic BOV for not. Hoping for a Synapse recirc valve in the future

Coolant bottle mounted, intake routed with 3" AMM and stubby filter. 4" to 3" silicone 90 reducer off the turbo and a 3" 45 degree right after

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replacing the old torn up recaros with a set of these

My friend is making me custom mounting brackets so they should be installed shortly along with a black carpet

Oh and heres my next task at hand

Going to be tossing in a World Class T5Z trans out of a 5.0 mustang and pairing it up with a 3.73 rear LSD and see how that gearing is. Possible 4.10 rear LSD swap in the future if 3.73 aren't optimal.

Purchased some 25MM and 32MM spacers. Already had 25MMs on the front but now I put the 32MMs on the rear. Might toss the spare 25MMs on the rear of the 242.

Before

After

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tons of pictures I didn't post on here so more can be uploaded on request

·
Registered
350 Posts
Holy **** dude, how has no one replied on this thread?? Awesome work man. I would love more pics of recent work. I was actually looking to do a +T to a 83 240 5speed. Although I need to research a bit more haha. Keep it up man.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
+1

This is one badass build! Keep up the good work!

I would love to see some videos and hear this thing running.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have videos of it running once the fuel system is finalized. Got some time Monday to install the Nathan fuel rail, 1001cc injectors, aeromotive adjustable fpr, and started running the 6an feed and return lines to the sending unit. Still have to order the deatschwerks dw300 pump and wiring harness along with a new sending unit. Will post pictures up later tonight or this weekend!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Great work. I'm just looking at purchasing an old wagon to start my build. I would love to see how yours ends up looking.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Excellent.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
This is cool for sure, should be tons of fun once it's running. I would recommend rewelding the bung for the one O2 sensor though, the one that's on the bottom of the pipe is not in a good position for O2 sensors, all my WBO2 kits have always said to install the sensor at least horizontal to the pipe if not at a higher angle, the idea being to prevent moisture build up from fouling the sensor. Other than that it looks like a sick build. Can't wait to see some videos! Keep up the good work man.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is cool for sure, should be tons of fun once it's running. I would recommend rewelding the bung for the one O2 sensor though, the one that's on the bottom of the pipe is not in a good position for O2 sensors, all my WBO2 kits have always said to install the sensor at least horizontal to the pipe if not at a higher angle, the idea being to prevent moisture build up from fouling the sensor. Other than that it looks like a sick build. Can't wait to see some videos! Keep up the good work man.
the O2 sensor on the bottom is the factory O2 and im only putting it there temporarily because im looking to do a new manifold and maybe larger turbo which will require a new downpipe. if the sensor keeps getting fouled frequently ill have to change it sooner

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im sorry for the delay in updating this thread but ive been too lazy to use the laptop to post up all the pictures. ive actually been out of work on disability the past 2 weeks because i messed up my ankle pretty bad. so that means the past 2 weeks i really havent been able to do much of anything besides sleep and play video games.

heres what i got done before i got hurt

started my fuel system overhaul:

deatschwerks dw300 in tank pump
1001cc fuel injectors
nathaninwa fuel rail with 6AN ports
aeromotive adjustable FPR
6AN feed and return lines
brand new oem volvo fuel filter
SEA30R10 submersible fuel hose
deatschwerks fuel pump wiring kit

out with the old

in with the new

feed line

return line

ran the lines all the way back

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
now for the fuel pump and sending unit overhaul

cut these off

drill out the two wire holes to fit the bulkhead fittings

cut out the bottom of the "lid" to allow room for the bulkheads

before

after

for the pump mount.. i hollowed out the ridges to fit the larger pump and shortened the overall length of the collar

ran the pump wires and level sender wire through the old vent pipe and used gasoline proof sealant to seal it up

all put together except for the pump sock

pump installed with new lock ring and o ring

feed and return lines installed

just need to wire up the pump with the new wiring kit. comes with its own relay to hook up to the battery for constant pump voltage and use the old pump power to energize the relay

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
T5 update:

cleaned out all debris from case
replaced nylon shift fork pads with brass
sealed up trans
adapter plate and bellhousing on
stage 3 pp
going to resurface flywheel

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
installed a dynamat type mat for sound deadening

found a nice black carpet to put over it

now time to put the new seats in

painted the seat rails for S&G

retained the driver side height adjustment

nice mint e brake cover

view from the back seat. need to replace that ugly steering wheel the car came with

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
never looked at your links...very nice work man! :thumbup: whats wrong with SS 240 forum? no replies? it's like a limp dick over here! :D
Thanks Dougy! This car has actually been crushed as of last week. I stripped it to bare shell no interior or suspension. Body was rotting so i took the b230ft and will be building it with a 16v head and dropping it in the 242 :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts