SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 866 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i figured its about that time now that ive had my R for about 6 months now to post my own build thread. i dont have too too many pictures during installs because when i work i tend to keep working without stopping to take pictures. but from now on i will try to post more during installation photos!

[/url] Untitled by johnaji, on Flickr[/IMG]

August 27, 2012 the day i bought her ;) 79,000mi

my first mod: strut brace conversion from ipd

first time getting gas.. my friend pumped my gas (i live in jersey) and once he saw the amount of gallons that he put into my tank he was like "damn.. its a small hummer" haha

i was at the mall and i just happen to see a fellow R owner :)

sorry for the bad picture but heres me and my friend with his '71 140

okay back to the important stuff.. i decided to do a tune up at 80k since i wasnt sure how old the plugs and coils were. i got the oem volvo plugs with the ipd hd coils

i also put in my ipd turbo inlet tube but have no install pictures (sorry!)

yeah id say i needed new plugs

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Looks like it already has the poly upper engine mount, very nice. Check the firewall side too, sometimes people just do the one thinking that's it.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
timing belt time! ran into a few issues though... my exhaust cam vvt hub was SHOT! and due to sandy my R was stuck at my friends shop for 3 weeks without power :(

heres the video of my exhaust cam hub. notice the in and out play

some more random pictures from around town

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like it already has the poly upper engine mount, very nice. Check the firewall side too, sometimes people just do the one thinking that's it.
i forgot to mention i also put that poly upper mount in. the car was BONE STOCK when i got it. owned by a 60 year old guy who took amazing care of her

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Car looks even better in person. The Magic blue is a cool color. Also noticed the photos are pre PMIC.

Looking forward to see where you go with her.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Car looks even better in person. The Magic blue is a cool color. Also noticed the photos are pre PMIC.

Looking forward to see where you go with her.
thanks! where are you headed now? still on the east coast?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Got home last night. Trip was way to short this year ( 6750 miles), but will have the normal longer drive next year

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
now its time for my new OBX catless downpipe. $150 shipped to my house. arrived in 2 business days also! install took about 30 minutes using a lift. and the car sounds awesome with a catless downpipe and stock exhaust

why yes officer my downpipe does have a cat ;)

just lining everything up. i used a 42 draft design O2 spacer and have not got a CEL yet! (knock on wood)

got it all bolted up. oh she purrdddyyy

close up of the O2 spacer

Got my PHUZZY HD TCV in the mail

taking out my stock tcv, already replaced the old brittle rubber lines with the fancy shmancy blue silicone from ipd

one of my service advisors at work just bought a nice 740 turbo and of course asked me to work on it :) and look at my old tiny toolbox in the background. glad i upgraded ;)

it was foggy one morning and my R looked pretty nice so i snapped a few quick pictures

time to put in my ipd r boost gauge with my cuts by caschy cubby insert

test fit, had to shave off a little on the gauge insert because the ipd gauge wouldnt fit

now time to silicone the cubby insert on to the back of the radio

finished product. i think it looks clean

my girlfriend got my my roof rack for christmas :) shes the best!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got home last night. Trip was way to short this year ( 6750 miles), but will have the normal longer drive next year
where did you go once you left lancaster? you should post a thread about your trip with your VR!

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
854 Posts
Where do you work? You can PM me if you want. I can stop by next weekend if you still want to see the BLP working. I'm thinking about a complete system overhaul. Maybe a photoshoot after with my DSLR.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i work at joyce honda in denville. i can meet up next sunday around 4 or 430 when i get out

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Black friday came and i felt it was all i needed to convince myself to take advantage of IPD's black friday sale. i caved and ordered their 3" oval cat back exhaust. as soon as it arrived at my house i immediately put down my back seat and man did it fit perfect haha. i could even close the trunk with no problem. i drove down to my friends shop and pulled in my car at 5:35. put my car up in the air. pulled off the old exhaust. popped the new one on, and started it up for the first time with the new exhaust. when i went to start my car i looked at the clock and it was only 5:58. easiest exhaust ive ever installed. and i must say one of the nicest!

short video of the whole exhaust from underneath

and heres the first start up with a quick rev

For the past 2k miles I've been getting a clunk when pressing in the clutch out of 1st gear and reverse and while turning at full lock at low speeds. While I was putting my IPD oval exhaust on last week I checked my links since I had the car up in the air. When I banged on the links or the sway bars I wasn't hearing any unusual noises so I figured they were good. They didn't feel loose or worn either. Than a few days later I was on FCP and saw they had the meyle hd links on sale. I got all 4 links with tax and shipping for $91 even. Figured I couldn't go wrong there. Today I drive back down to my friends shop to install them since having an available lift is amazing :). The old links came off beautifully. Blasted them loose with an air gun than got a T30 torx and an 18 ratcheting wrench and got the nuts off. Rears went in even easier than they came out. When I compared the two it looks like the meyle ones are a little beefier than OEM.

Old

New

OEM vs Meyle HD

For the rears I didn't have to remove the wheels but for the front it is much easier to take off those pegs. The fronts I needed a 5mm Allen socket, a 15mm wrench and socket, an 18mm wrench and socket air gun, and a thin 16mm wrench to hold the stud on the meyle links while tightening the nuts down. The fronts didn't give me any more trouble than the rears but took longer due to taking off the wheels and having to keep switching tools.

OEM vs Meyle fronts

Meyle HD installed

All in all job took me about 30 minutes which included bull sh*tting with my friend. I'm a tech so the job was cake for me. But for an inexperienced DIY'er I'd say if you have the right tools it is a very possible job to do. Even in your driveway but you would have to take the rear wheels off too unless you wanted to lay on your back.

While I was at it I decided to fix the positioning of my new IPD tips since before they were a little too far to the left.

Looks good enough for me :)

So back to my original point..

Immediately pulling out of the bay there was no more clunk. The front end felt a little tighter which I didn't expect. Pressing in the clutch to disengage reverse the motor didn't seem to torque as much. Driving home I still haven't heard any clunk at all. Taking turns feels a lot better now. Feels like a brand new R :) next project is the IPD sways!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
while under my car i found i had a pretty nasty leak. i pulled out my angle gear and im glad i did. i couldnt tell if it was my trans or my angle gear that was leaking so i decided to reseal both just to be safe. was a $150 job since i did all the labor myself. just had to buy the seals from volvo and the angle gear fluid and manual trans fluid.

may car felt naked with just the base bars so i ordered my thule fairing and the next day it showed up at my door.

installed!

First time she saw snow

washed her after the snow

Next on my list was to get my PHMIC installed by Matt and Joel. i took a little trip out to lancaster, PA with the girl. what a beautiful area! we stayed at the comfort suites in amish country saturday night. it was only a 5 minute drive to the shop so it worked out well. cloudy day but still was a fun trip!

i dont have any pictures of the install because Matt's friend Joel who owns the shop let me use his car to take my girl out shopping. i never expected him to offer to let me use his car! both of them were extremely personable and do great work. CKAvolvo's V70R was already in the shop getting the finishing touches on his FMIC install. from start to finish it took them about 2 hours or so to finish my car and i must say it looks and works amazing! anyone on the fence about getting an FMIC you better look into Matts PHMIC and you wont be disappointed!

heres a group shot of Matt's, CKAVolvo's, and my R

heres my new front mount after a nice ride home from beautiful lancaster!

on the way home i picked up 15mm wheel spacers and extended bolts from Dustin (Desertfox)

before:

after:

very subtle but i love the look!

not volvo related but heres my new snap on box ;) looks alot bigger in person

some random pictures of another slight snow flurry

picked up the new volvo center caps as well

getting pretty cold in jersey... got all the way down to 5 degrees here at one point

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, you weren't at Paramus yesterday, were you?
i wish! i was working so i couldnt make it. next meet im definitely going to switch days with someone. id love to meet some fellow volvo enthusiasts since all my friends think volvos are "grandpa cars"

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 55w 6k HID fogs from DDM Tuning finally came! i used the guide on here to modify the fog light housings (very helpful) only problem was my passenger side fog light was broken when i bought it so i had to macguyver it together. still looking for a used replacement!

difference from halogen to the HID

love the results!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
If you need the passenger fog light still, let me know, I have one laying around - bracket, harness too.

PM me.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Love your progress man! Keep it up.

1 - 20 of 866 Posts