SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
I love my XC60. However despite this there a lots of glitches that only happen once , are annoying at the
time and then don't return.

I have had the following glitches occur:
  • Spedometer not move when accelerating
  • Driver side mirror not move wide enough into position.
  • Opening the doors with keyless entry fails to open the mirrors. I have given up on keyless entry since it is not critical.
  • Moonroof fails to close. Happened twice, once in the rain, but the dealership found nothing.
  • ACC brakes for no reason.
  • Engine not start for no reason with engine check light.
  • BLIS complaining about needing service.

I have three major concerns here:
  1. Will mission critical things glitch, like acceleration or braking ?
  2. I don't want to spend my weekends at the shop.
  3. This is my first premium car. All of my prevous ones have been either subarus or hondas. I have never had this many issues within the first year of owning a car. In fact I have never had issues like this with subarus until the last one was out of warranty. Should I be expecting this in a Volvo?

Please advise

Thanks

Matthew Harelick

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I don't think anybody has ever mentioned "Spedometer not move when accelerating".

You should not be expecting these issues from Volvo or really any other brand and the vast vast majority do not have these issues. But it happens.

Seems like all your glitches are tied to the electrical system and these can be one of the most frustrating to troubleshoot. And if they all only ever happen once, then you've got the worst situation. It could just be one faulty module, just have to figure out which one.

I don't see why you would give up on the keyless issue if the system isn't doing something it should be. The dealer should be able to work on that one at least.

If it was me, I'd keep a video camera handy to show them it's really happening. And you may just be stuck with a lot of dealership visits till they can fix it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think anybody has ever mentioned "Spedometer not move when accelerating".

You should not be expecting these issues from Volvo or really any other brand and the vast vast majority do not have these issues. But it happens.

Seems like all your glitches are tied to the electrical system and these can be one of the most frustrating to troubleshoot. And if they all only ever happen once, then you've got the worst situation. It could just be one faulty module, just have to figure out which one.

I don't see why you would give up on the keyless issue if the system isn't doing something it should be. The dealer should be able to work on that one at least.

If it was me, I'd keep a video camera handy to show them it's really happening. And you may just be stuck with a lot of dealership visits till they can fix it.
+1 what Pattyweb said. All the items except BLIS are not "mere glitches" but in fact need to be resolved by your dealer, period. Now, I can tell you that BLIS *does* occasionally pop up with one of those "service req'd" messages and in my experience either resolves on its own or can be resolved with a simple clean-off of the camera lenses with a soft cloth and water.

As I've documented elsewhere on these forums I'm an ex-Acura owner (and we also had Toyotas and Nissans over the years) and while I love the way my XC60 drives, I'm continually frustrated by the QA and/or non-user-friendly issues my Volvo has had, especially as to electronics/infotainment. The Sensus 3.0 upgrade has helped, but some problems are just inherent. Acuras (and the other Japanese brands) "just work"...no bugs, no glitches. For everything I like about my XC60, for this reason alone I am not likely to buy another one, and will return to a Japanese brand, when I'm done with this vehicle in a few years.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In reading your post I had to smile as I have my own glitches with my MY11 and they are all different than yours!

1. Bluetooth will make call out no problem but in answering an incoming call neither party can hear the other person. I can call them right back tho!
2. Reverb when listening to the radio. sounds like a DJ getting fancy with my NPR.
3. Sometimes I can lock the car with the button on the handle, sometimes I can't. Key is always in exactly the same place in my bag.
4. Have already had the pistons and the latch motor replaced on the rear gate.

I REALLY want to love this car. A big step up from my previous car and I drove used Volvos in college so an emotional attachment as well to returning to the brand. But it is spending the night at the dealer as we speak. Again.

The service folks are very nice, agree I shouldn't be having these problems, and are committed to figuring them out. But...........

They have at least solved the rattle. Yay. Apparently it was missing a clip inside the door panel. A quality control issue. Sigh.

As others have said, keep at them til they figure it out. I am remaining hopeful that my car and I are going to work out our issues and have a long happy life together!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had issue where keyless start would not work, even after keyless entry was fine. Needed to put key in slot. But have not had this issue since Sensus 3.0 update at dealer. I also needed BLIS to be serviced because it kept failing and displaying warning. Now works okay. I would make full list and bring to dealer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well, our last few cars were Volkswagens....so this Volvo is like heaven for me. I have not had any issues so far (knock on wood).

The last VW I had required me to engage a lawyer to get satisfaction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Every company has lots of problems Japanese,German and Swedes alike. No car is glitch free. Ask any BMW,Audi or Lexus driver they will all have similar stories. Before my Subaru I was a Lexus driver for nearly 10 years through 3 vehicles. They all had things or glitches, IMO it's the service department that makes a difference.for the most part my Lexus vehicles ran trouble free but things happen on vehicles that move. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi:
I love my XC60. However despite this there a lots of glitches that only happen once , are annoying at the
time and then don't return.

I have had the following glitches occur:
  • Spedometer not move when accelerating
  • Driver side mirror not move wide enough into position.
  • Opening the doors with keyless entry fails to open the mirrors. I have given up on keyless entry since it is not critical.
  • Moonroof fails to close. Happened twice, once in the rain, but the dealership found nothing.
  • ACC brakes for no reason.
  • Engine not start for no reason with engine check light.
  • BLIS complaining about needing service.

I have three major concerns here:
  1. Will mission critical things glitch, like acceleration or braking ?
  2. I don't want to spend my weekends at the shop.
  3. This is my first premium car. All of my prevous ones have been either subarus or hondas. I have never had this many issues within the first year of owning a car. In fact I have never had issues like this with subarus until the last one was out of warranty. Should I be expecting this in a Volvo?

Please advise

Thanks

Matthew Harelick
I experienced the mirrors not opening with keyless entry. What I discovered: I was inadvertantly pushing the black button on the handle which was telling the mirrors to stay closed, even though the doors opened. Once I realized that and just use the handle, the mirrors have opened without fail.

One thing that has happened to me ONCE that you didn't mention. I opened the car door and all hell broke loose. Alarms went off, lights flashed, scared me to death. I fumbled around with the PCC until I hit something that shut it off. I asked at the dealership and they said once in a blue moon if you open the door quickly, the computer can't process it and that happens. It hasn't happened again.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
It sounds like you have a failing module.

On my XC60, I had frequent CitySafety issues. (early build car)

Geely seems to be taking care of Volvo and yes, I'd consider another XC60 if I wasn't such a whore for the Germans! ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
In reading your post I had to smile as I have my own glitches with my MY11 and they are all different than yours!

1. Bluetooth will make call out no problem but in answering an incoming call neither party can hear the other person. I can call them right back tho!
2. Reverb when listening to the radio. sounds like a DJ getting fancy with my NPR.
3. Sometimes I can lock the car with the button on the handle, sometimes I can't. Key is always in exactly the same place in my bag.
4. Have already had the pistons and the latch motor replaced on the rear gate.
I'm a total geek when it comes to troubleshooting and have experienced a couple of the same issues:

1) How did you answer your phone? If I use my iPhone to answer, the phone will sometimes default to using the earpiece. I make sure to answer using the Sensus buttons and seem to have solved the issue.

2) No advice... I use Bluetooth streaming or Satellite radio. I did notice an issue with HD cutting in and out for FM, so that's been deactivated.

3) Another phone issue... This one I verified with the dealer. For me, if the key is either in front of or behind my iPhone in my pocket, it does not work. Moving the key to the side fixes the issue. I could just keep the key in my other pocket, but my OCD won't let me do that. ;)

4) No advice, but mine does sounds a little grumbly sometimes... At 1700 miles, I hope it's not on its way out.

Hope that might provide a little help to isolate/solve your issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Volvo Corporate is watching this board and has contacted me about these issues. I will report more after their analysis.

·
Registered
222 Posts
...3) Another phone issue... This one I verified with the dealer. For me, if the key is either in front of or behind my iPhone in my pocket, it does not work. Moving the key to the side fixes the issue. I could just keep the key in my other pocket, but my OCD won't let me do that. ;)...
Wow! I have this problem, too. I figured it was radio interference from my Android phone overpowering the transmitter in the PCC remote. And, given my lack of success at getting a Volvo dealer to diagnose in a timely manner or even care about any software issues, I just decided to live with it.

I hope you'll keep us updated on this and the other issues.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Volvo Corporate is watching this board and has contacted me about these issues. I will report more after their analysis.
Glad to hear that. Your issues are more significant than the occasional bluetooth or Sensus glitch. As a (multiple) BMW owner, I can sympathize when it comes to issues. I was perusing the BMW X1 forum last night as I like the idea of a small, but taller, 4 door 1 series hatch (which is what the X1 almost is). Of course I became a bit disheartened as I started to see the typical list of BMW issues (and lack of resolution by dealers)...

·
Registered
21 Posts
@cab - what forum is that? My husband is seriously considering the x1 and it would be so upsetting to get that car and just be barraged by electronic issues. Then again, I could just brag to him about once again my volvo is superior to bmw.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A Volvo corporate engineer looked at my car at the dealership. They did not find anything and they found no codes for the issues I was reporting. They upgraded my software to the latest releases of all of the car software. I am concerned that no codes appeared for things. However since the software upgrade everything is working great! Even the rain detection on the windshield wipers is working.

I am now very happy with Volvo.

Matthew Harelick

·
Registered
75 Posts
1) How did you answer your phone? If I use my iPhone to answer, the phone will sometimes default to using the earpiece. I make sure to answer using the Sensus buttons and seem to have solved the issue.

2) No advice... I use Bluetooth streaming or Satellite radio. I did notice an issue with HD cutting in and out for FM, so that's been deactivated.

3) Another phone issue... This one I verified with the dealer. For me, if the key is either in front of or behind my iPhone in my pocket, it does not work. Moving the key to the side fixes the issue. I could just keep the key in my other pocket, but my OCD won't let me do that.

Sorry to have missed these responses but I now have more info.

1) I only answer with the Sensus buttons but it doesn't generally work for me. I now know tho, that it is my phone. They kept the car for a couple of days, talked multiple times with "New Jersey" and concluded the problem is in my phone. I will be getting a new phone.

2) Yup, HD was the culprit for all my radio issues so it was deactivated and I am now quite happy with it.

3) What I didn't realize when I said my key was always in the same place (always the same pocket in my bag) was that sometimes my phone was in front of it in the pocket and sometimes the phone was behind it. I now keep the key in front and that has solved the problem.

So thank you for your input and advice. You were spot on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts