SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Years ago I inherited a 93 850 GLT from my uncle. It served me well for years but it belonged to my parents, so it was not exactly mine. I gave it back to them with 205k miles and running strong. I ended up buying an 02 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. It was the perfect car to get me through the rest of college, but I get sick of the cop jokes, the way people drove around me, and the car needed a lot of work and was not highway worthy. Given that, and the fact I graduated college in May and I've got a nice new salary position, I decided to treat myself. I missed Volvo dearly and was amazed when I found a damn near perfect R in my city. The only R for sale in the city, and 1/2 Rs for sale in Arizona.

Before purchasing, I took my time and did all the research I could (thanks for the resources, guys) and spent a lot of time going over the car inspecting everything. After much debate, I pulled the trigger and bought the car:

2004 Volvo S60 R Automatic in silver with Nordkap interior

The good:
- 83k miles (low for an 04)
- Only 2 previous owners
- 1st owner followed scheduled maintenance through dealership
- Carfax reports over 30 maintenance records
- Exterior in near perfect condition
- 4c struts, air intake, timing belt, and air hoses replaced within the last 20k miles
- Interior shows very minimal wear for an 11 year old car
- Navigation, moon roof, 4 cd changer, and aux cord (aftermarket)
- Relatively new Yokohama tires
- New fluds (almost finished with stage 0 - next up is air intake filter)

The bad:
- Literally the only bad is the stitching on the top of the dash cluster is coming apart, but it's hardly noticeable

Initial price: $8,900 (originally asking $9,900, as car is valued at around $10k with excellent carfax)
Trade in value: $1,300 (crown vic was at 105k miles, needs heater core replaced, fluids flush/fill, new tires, brake pads and rotors, broken parts replaced and new paint)
Downpayment: $830
Final price after downpayment/trade in and before tax/license: $6,770

The car is in excellent shape. The engine is clean as can be, fluids are great, and the car starts/runs/and stops beautifully. I've since reset the ECU and I plan on checking/changing spark plugs. I'm very happy that a lot of preventative maintenance has been performed and big ticket parts have been replaced recently (4c struts and suspension rebuild.) Overall I'm in freaking love with the car. Knock on wood, but every single feature of this car performs flawlessly. Of course, being an R, I anticipate future maintenance and repairs at a steep price. However, I drive on average only 7k miles a year, so here's to hoping I don't have many issues. So happy to be a part of the Volvo family again, and even more elated to be driving an R.

And yes, I'll have a photoshoot for you guys very soon :D Cheers!

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Congrats, welcome to the 04 club and sounds like a good find. With all the maintenance and a new set of struts a lot of the basics have been covered.

You don't appear to mention if is an auto or stick though? You should be able to purchase a new dash cover cluster for a reasonable price too

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Pretty happy with the find. I know 04s get somewhat of a bad rep in this forum, but this one was very well taken care of and at a good price. It was either this car, an 10 ford focus, or an 11 dodge caliber. Much happier with this.

Sorry bout that, it is an automatic and I added that. I've driven manuals, but I've never owned one. I would have liked for this to have been a manual. It's hard enough to find an R, let alone a manual R. It's also my understanding that the autos get a bad rep as well in this forum. Is that do to preference or issues with the gearbox? Is it the manual or auto that tends to be more issue prone?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Thanks, Pretty happy with the find. I know 04s get somewhat of a bad rep in this forum, but this one was very well taken care of and at a good price. It was either this car, an 10 ford focus, or an 11 dodge caliber. Much happier with this.

Sorry bout that, it is an automatic and I added that. I've driven manuals, but I've never owned one. I would have liked for this to have been a manual. It's hard enough to find an R, let alone a manual R. It's also my understanding that the autos get a bad rep as well in this forum. Is that do to preference or issues with the gearbox? Is it the manual or auto that tends to be more issue prone?
It's a crap shoot. 04-05 5sp auto is torque-limited (more fragile) and generally slower than the 06-07 6sp auto, but manual specific parts are a bitch to find when they do break because they're much less common. The clutch, slave, and PS front axle, for example, are R-specific.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a crap shoot. 04-05 5sp auto is torque-limited (more fragile) and generally slower than the 06-07 6sp auto, but manual specific parts are a bitch to find when they do break because they're much less common. The clutch, slave, and PS front axle, for example, are R-specific.
Silly question, is the slave collar specific to manual? Doing my research I came across a lot of comments about the slave collar going bad. So far, the auto trans on my 04 shifts beautifully. When in sport mode, or semi-auto, it shifts nice and snappy and firm. When cruising/city driving, it has nice firm but butter smooth shifts. No leaks whatsoever and the trans seems to be doing great.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome aboard...I'm nearing 175K in my '04...best of luck with youRs....

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Silly question, is the slave collar specific to manual? Doing my research I came across a lot of comments about the slave collar going bad. So far, the auto trans on my 04 shifts beautifully. When in sport mode, or semi-auto, it shifts nice and snappy and firm. When cruising/city driving, it has nice firm but butter smooth shifts. No leaks whatsoever and the trans seems to be doing great.
There are no silly questions, just silly answers. Slave cylinders are indigenous to manual shift transmissions. It sounds as if you got a good buy and welcome.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Don't listen too much about it being inferior. As long as you take care accordingly, they are fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
The 04 Auto is torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear, so it is, by default, slower than the later autos. However, it's also not plagued by the throttle body issues of the 06+ Auto, so it's a trade-off. I suspect you'll be perfectly happy with it. If you absolutely insist on removing the torque limiting, it can be tuned out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts