SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Girlfriend left driver window down overnight and it rained. What sort of things should I check for? Music doesn’t play out of the Harmon Kardon on door, that’s normal right?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Girlfriend left driver window down overnight and it rained. What sort of things should I check for? Music doesn’t play out of the Harmon Kardon on door, that’s normal right?
Well she might become an Ex-Girlfriend at this rate.....

Carpet Saturated. There are several layers so this could cause mold / mildew in padding. Try to get a wet vac and suck out as much moisture.

Headliner could have water damage.

Depending upon the amount of rain and where it landed, I recommend you test all electronics...Can't answer Harmon Kardon as I don't own.

From NAPA:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-dry-out-your-wet-car-in-3-easy-steps/

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well she might become an Ex-Girlfriend at this rate.....

Carpet Saturated. There are several layers so this could cause mold / mildew in padding. Try to get a wet vac and suck out as much moisture.

Headliner could have water damage.

Depending upon the amount of rain and where it landed, I recommend you test all electronics...Can't answer Harmon Kardon as I don't own.

From NAPA:

http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to-dry-out-your-wet-car-in-3-easy-steps/
Luckily I have the all weather mats. My biggest concern is the door, and the seat.

She’s offered to pay for any expenses related to any potential damage.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Depending on how much water got in I would remove the carpet and padding if possible all the way down the metal floorboards. You want to get that stuff dried out as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Luckily I have the all weather mats. My biggest concern is the door, and the seat.

She’s offered to pay for any expenses related to any potential damage.
Joking about the Girlfriend.

Remove all weather mats. Feel the carpet. Is it damp / wet? These mats don't protect everything.

Doors obviously have electronics. Powered lock. Speakers. Powered Windows. Do all these work?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joking about the Girlfriend.

Remove all weather mats. Feel the carpet. Is it damp / wet? These mats don't protect everything.

Doors obviously have electronics. Powered lock. Speakers. Powered Windows. Do all these work?
The power window worked this morning, however, the first time I hit the brake I thought I heard some sloshing of water somewhere in the car. I called the dealer and waiting for a call back.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
The power window worked this morning, however, the first time I hit the brake I thought I heard some sloshing of water somewhere in the car. I called the dealer and waiting for a call back.
Ya that's not good. Sounds like water is pooling somewhere. You aren't the first, nor the last, to have this happen. There are other threads on here about the very same mistake.

If you can't locate the water then the next best thing is let dealer handle cleanup. Can do an insurance claim if need be or just have g/f pay the cost of dealer to properly dry car. Last thing you want is mold / mildew to build up in your brand new ride.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2019 Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription, 2018 Volvo V90 Cross Country T5
94 Posts
HK system...no speaker in door panels
That's not correct.

There's no woofer in the typical location, but there most certainly is a tweeter behind the metal grill at the top front of the door.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Get a portable dehumidifier and run it inside the car for a few hours.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Depending on how much water got in I would remove the carpet and padding if possible all the way down the metal floorboards. You want to get that stuff dried out as quickly as possible.
DO this ASAP. Remove front seats from vehicle and pull the carpets. Gut the entire car's seats and carpets.

Any type of water can get into computer modules under the seats and carpeting and cause corrosion in the electrical connectors that will easily cost thousands to repair/replace.

I've seen it before....

·
Registered
530 Posts
This happened on my older XC90 during Hurricane Florence (thought it was a broken door seal, turns out someone left sunroof tilted). The dealer had to remove the carpet and let it dry for a few days and then put it back in (whole process took about a week).

Edit: Our car sat in the damp state for about 3 weeks before it went into the dealer and there was no mold or electrical issues, however it's a first gen XC90 which is much simpler which could be why there were no electric issues after.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
This happened on my older XC90 during Hurricane Florence (thought it was a broken door seal, turns out someone left sunroof tilted). The dealer had to remove the carpet and let it dry for a few days and then put it back in (whole process took about a week).

Edit: Our car sat in the damp state for about 3 weeks before it went into the dealer and there was no mold or electrical issues, however it's a first gen XC90 which is much simpler which could be why there were no electric issues after.
Gen 1 still had electronics...But the newer the cars, the more potential for a gadget to be affected.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Gen 1 still had electronics...But the newer the cars, the more potential for a gadget to be affected.
Depends on how high the water was under the carpet. 3" would submerge/kill the yaw sensor and possibly damage the AUD (amplifier under the passenger seat if equipped)

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Depends on how high the water was under the carpet. 3" would submerge/kill the yaw sensor and possibly damage the AUD (amplifier under the passenger seat if equipped)
Water is a nasty creature, because not only does it leave a residue, it brings with it debris, and also has a means of causing corrosion. So even if parts "dry out", who knows their condition unless housings are removed and cabling inspected.

People forget about all the electronics hidden under their but (seats)....Not to mention other areas where the water might have seeped into (Dash Board, Door Speakers, etc etc).

OP's car doesn't sound nearly that bad, but I have read on here stories of sunroofs being left open and a car being completely flooded to the point of no repair. As it's not just the parts, but all the labor involved in ripping things out and replacing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You do realize that even though she offered to pay, if you let her do that you will be the one that pays in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts