SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Recently I've been doing a lot of lurking and occasional commenting on here, and now I think it's time to formally introduce myself. My name is Colin, I'm an aircraft designer/wantrepreneur, and I come from the world of rallycross and E36 M3s! Super happy to be here.

So I've been trying to quell my interest in rallycross (I'd rather invest in my ideas at this point but it's SO MUCH FUN), and I've always thought that a fast AWD manual wagon is one of the best all arounders a person can drive. I was looking at B6 S4 wagons, Subaru WRX wagons, STi hatchbacks, and a car I've always had in the back of my mind, the Volvo V70R. My requirements were manual gearbox, AWD, refined interior (I drive about 65 miles a day), some good power, and obviously AWD.

I currently own a 1999.5 VW Jetta TDI 5MT that was awful for everything except for the 10,228 mile road trip I took it on, as well as a 1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Coupe which I absolutely adore. I'm certainly getting rid of the Jetta after I put the intake manifold back on, and I would LIKE to get rid of the subie. But I'm not sure that's gonna happen. Car love.

Anyway, so I've been idly searching for V70Rs for a couple months now, and stumbled upon the Craigslist Finds thread on swedespeed. Loved it, but be careful because they don't have everything. In fact they didn't have the best car I had found in the area for quite a while: a 2006 V70R 6MT in Sapphire/Nordkap with 100k on it... the one I ended up buying.

The PO had it since 39k just off lease, and it was dealer serviced until a couple days ago when I picked it up. Luckily I had a Pre-Purchase Inspection done at a different Volvo dealer though, because they found the angle gear to be not working at all. I was completely ready to walk away when the PO said that he would have the job done on his dime and keep the sale price as is! SO STOKED. One of the rear dampers has been replaced because it was leaking, and appears to work perfectly. It's amazing the difference in connectedness to the road!

So: while it's not a perfect example, it still makes me very happy to drive something so civilized/capable/fast/spacious after either driving a boring slow car (TDI) or a loud unrefined-but-hilariously-fun car (my beloved subie).

Some issues I discovered right off the bat (that weren't picked up by the PPI oddly?)

- Cruise control doesn't engage. There is no message being shown. The word "cruise" appears on the dash, but when I hit the + button nothing happens. A friend recommended the clutch position sensor. Ideas? Another piece of info that the emissions inspector discovered: it starts up without your foot on the clutch. Does that mean my clutch position sensor is definitely kaput? Most cars have a safety interlock that keeps you from starting until your foot is on the clutch.

-Low oil level light comes on every once in a while. I of course checked the oil level, and it's fine. Is the sensor known to fail?

-Some slightly buzzing speakers in the back when I crank it. I'll have to look for some replacements. I had a BSW audio kit in my M3 which are basically Rainbow speakers in the stock locations with the stock amp and I LOVED the sound.

Until I get more pictures up I just wanted to say Hello R Forum! I hope I'm here for a good while. :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
welcome, nice find on the wagon! definitely sounds like a clutch position sensor issue, although i have no experience dealing with this so i wont comment. the low oil warning comes on when the oil level is about halfway between the high and low marks on the dipstick.these cars do tend to burn a bit of oil so once in a while you might have to top it up. maybe once or twice between oil changes, depending how long your intervals are. these caRs love to be on the hiway, enjoy!

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard. VR manuals are a pretty rare breed - there are probably only a half dozen or so for sale around the country at any one time. You were smart to get a PPI - always surprised at the number of people who don't.

I have saved a lot of money being able to diagnose and repair the car from the information on these threads.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome, nice find on the wagon! definitely sounds like a clutch position sensor issue, although i have no experience dealing with this so i wont comment. the low oil warning comes on when the oil level is about halfway between the high and low marks on the dipstick.these cars do tend to burn a bit of oil so once in a while you might have to top it up. maybe once or twice between oil changes, depending how long your intervals are. these caRs love to be on the hiway, enjoy!
Thanks man! Yeah when I measured the oil it was about halfway between those hashmarks on the dipstick, so I added about a quart to bring it up to the full line. It came on shortly thereafter... I'm doing an oil change soon on it, so I guess I'll find out if there is a real problem after draining it and filling it up completely.

Congrats and welcome aboard. VR manuals are a pretty rare breed - there are probably only a half dozen or so for sale around the country at any one time. You were smart to get a PPI - always surprised at the number of people who don't.

Thanks! Yeah I think I always assumed they were impossible to find until this one came along. PPIs are so freaking awesome for complex cars such as these. This one paid for itself about 13 times over after they discovered the faulty angle gear/sleeve!
I have saved a lot of money being able to diagnose and repair the car from the information on these threads.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
A manual VR - so jealous.... I love my SR, but what I would do for a VR.

Can't wait to see more pics - where in CT are you located?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A manual VR - so jealous.... I love my SR, but what I would do for a VR.

Can't wait to see more pics - where in CT are you located?
Thanks man, I'm pretty stoked. I'm in Guilford but work over at Sikorsky in Stratford/Shelton. I see you're in Hamden? Maybe we can set up a little SoCo Volvo meet or somethin!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Probably so, I'd say in the $90 range for the SUM recal. Make sure to crank the headlight adjusters to point them down, make sure they have the headlights "on" when the SUM recal is done, then adjust the lights back up afterwards.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry about all the unusual borders... I was trying to be fancy with Adobe Lightroom which I don't know very well. I really just wanted the black border and my little signature on there, and I didn't want to have to mess with Photoshop. Camera was nothing fancy either, just my point and shoot.

Also please excuse the filthiness... I had it washed YESTERDAY but of course overnight we got snow and therefore salt. argh!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Also, I checked out the clutch pedal and there is this... wtf?

Just a guess but that could be a clutch position sensor wires looks like it may have had a remote start on it or something

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a guess but that could be a clutch position sensor wires looks like it may have had a remote start on it or something
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the clutch position sensor... the question is wtf are those clipped wires, and is that why my cruise control isn't working? I see brown on both ends... looks like it's supposed to be a continuous wire?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
it was obviously cut and tapped in to for some sort of aftermarket device. i would try reconnecting them and seeing if cruse control works.

BTW my office is located in guilford

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Low oil light could be the o rings on the oil pick up

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it was obviously cut and tapped in to for some sort of aftermarket device. i would try reconnecting them and seeing if cruse control works.

BTW my office is located in guilford
True... the PO didn't say anything about this though, which is weird because he told me about pretty much everything he's done or had done to the car, including how he integrated a Garmin nav into the center console. I guess it could have been done by the first owner...

Oh nice! I'll keep an eye out for ya. I live just off the green.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Thanks man, I'm pretty stoked. I'm in Guilford but work over at Sikorsky in Stratford/Shelton. I see you're in Hamden? Maybe we can set up a little SoCo Volvo meet or somethin!
I'm due for a meet (finally). I'd love to finally see a VR MT in person...

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Also, I checked out the clutch pedal and there is this... wtf?
Congrats on the new ride!
You are correct- the cruise control will not work if the clutch sensor is f'd. I recently had the same issue; replaced sensor and now working perfectly.
Welcome aboard!
Manual wagons rule!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm due for a meet (finally). I'd love to finally see a VR MT in person...
Let's do it... we should shoot for a date when it's a little warmer though. That way I can detail the exterior without it being 20 freaking degrees out

Congrats on the new ride!
You are correct- the cruise control will not work if the clutch sensor is f'd. I recently had the same issue; replaced sensor and now working perfectly.
Welcome aboard!
Manual wagons rule!
Yeah tonight I'm going to hook them up and see what happens. Cross your fingers! Can one of you guys with a manual (preferably 06) take a picture of your clutch position sensor and this wire? It's pretty easy to get to, all you need is some flexibility. Or even better, does anyone have a wiring diagram for these things?

Congrats on the car! :D

At least that wire is an easy fix!
Thanks man! We'll see... I'm hoping that's it. If it isn't I'm not going to like chasing this thing down.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts