SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

GIAC chip

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Sue Esponte 
Re: Re: (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
As noted, GIAC has always been an aggressive tuner of VAG cars, but I've known VAG owners who have run into issues with some of their tunes...which gives me some pause in consideration of their response to question #1. My friend was pushing a lot of oil through his exhaust with the original chip in his TT. It was fixed but if the Volvo program isn't being supported then I'm concerned.

-Eric

Eric,

Not sure if I would use one person's experince as a proxy for GIAC. They are well known for having very well tested maps, and also usually two different levels, more or less aggressive. I had their chip in my old S4 ('01) and went for the -X (=more aggressive). Very nice upgrade with lots of torque and high end HP.
I remember seeing one quote that summarizes the chip & turbo failure relation perfectly:

"No, there is really no problem at all pushing the turbos to deliver twice the orginal design pressure and volume. Really. I'm sure."

IF you chip THEN your engine will be further abused
IF your engine is further abused THEN things will break.

The S4 (B5 style) was a rare bird since the RS4 model in Europe was pretty much the same engine with larger turbos and larger ICs. Hence the rest of the engine and drivetrain could easily take the chipped power.

On our cars I'd be concerned not only with the turbo, but also with drivetrain movement, the angle gear, and the intercooler (pressured air) piping etc.

But if I could get the same rush I had in the S4 in the Volvo - SIGN ME UP!!

Re: GIAC chip (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that one person's experience should be used as a proxy for GIAC. I was simply offering it as an example of why I'd only want to buy a chip from a company that was going to commit to ongoing support of the product and was questioning whether GIAC would do so if they were only selling an R chip as a "one off" or "group buy".

And actually, if my friend's experience could serve as a proxy, I guess you could say that it would be a positive marker of why one would want to buy from GIAC since they continued to support and revise the tuning of his chip to remedy the problems he (and other 225 TT owners) were experiencing with their early release chips. I know a lot of people who have bought from GIAC. I don't have an issue with them as a known quantity in the tuner world. It was more of a future support question as I described above.

-Eric

OK - sorry for missreading you [standing humbled in the corner, scratching my foot on the floor]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.