SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the opportunity to speak with Garrett and he said he had designed a software for the S60R but due to lack of popularity, they didn't really market it. Anyhow, I have to opportunity to pick up the software for a decent price and will probably do so.

http://www.giacusa.com/

If anyone else might be interested or knows someone, let me know, I can see about getting a group buy or something

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (Jay_SB)

Without more info, people are going to be hesitant. The site looks legit and all, but there are no performance specs listed with respect to any volvo, so why buy this chip over some other reputable supplier? Unless it's dirt cheap and provides substantial proven performance gains, why risk getting involved with a product that lacks support and warranty?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (jdog)

Quote, originally posted by jdog »
Without more info, people are going to be hesitant. The site looks legit and all, but there are no performance specs listed with respect to any volvo, so why buy this chip over some other reputable supplier? Unless it's dirt cheap and provides substantial proven performance gains, why risk getting involved with a product that lacks support and warranty?

I had a GIAC on my passat and it was a nice upgrade. They're mainly Porsche/VAG if I remember correctly.

Oh.. And they have a softloader.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Giac hands down was the best chip for the 94-2001 cars. Their AF was close to ideal unlike MTEs bastard child which dips to 10:1. All torque limiters were removed as well as speed limiters. On an 850 same day same dyno, IPD netted 21 hp. Giac after the IPD pulled 34hp. Down side is if you drive like Terry Schiavo on crank your car will start acting like her...... dead. But if you are not a redlight to redlight racer it is a great chip. FYI PES use to handle GAIC. For Audi, Volvo, Porsche Giac is almost always the most aggresive, and they usually include maps that almost go to two bars.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Autoscope is listed as one of their dealers, and is 5 min. from me here in Dallas. I just emailed GIAC asking about it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (TexasV70R)

I would be VERY interested in a GIAC chip or mod. I have run a GIAC Stage III ECU in my 1999 Audi A4 1.8T for 5 years / 70K miles with ZERO problems. I trust GIAC implicitly.

Please keep us posted if any group buy opportunities become available.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (TexasV70R)

The security of a company like IPD and the history behind the company is the reason to use their product. I have heard of the company in question and have had less than positve feedback on them. (customer service anyways) I don't want to hijack this thread and that is not my reasoning. Just another option for our already quirky Volvo's. Just my 2c's, Rick

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (Mash)

Quote, originally posted by Mash »
The security of a company like IPD and the history behind the company is the reason to use their product. I have heard of the company in question and have had less than positve feedback on them. (customer service anyways) I don't want to hijack this thread and that is not my reasoning. Just another option for our already quirky Volvo's. Just my 2c's, Rick

No problem. Your input is valid and appreciated. It's just the lure and attraction of a softloader that gives us wanderlust.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: (VolvospeedAdmin)

Quote, originally posted by VolvospeedAdmin »
Giac hands down was the best chip for the 94-2001 cars. Their AF was close to ideal unlike MTEs bastard child which dips to 10:1. All torque limiters were removed as well as speed limiters. On an 850 same day same dyno, IPD netted 21 hp. Giac after the IPD pulled 34hp. Down side is if you drive like Terry Schiavo on crank your car will start acting like her...... dead. But if you are not a redlight to redlight racer it is a great chip. FYI PES use to handle GAIC. For Audi, Volvo, Porsche Giac is almost always the most aggresive, and they usually include maps that almost go to two bars.

PES is about 5 min from my home. I've been trying to get them to work on Volvos since my C70. Even though in Euro Tuner mag, and the like, their ad states Volvo. Awesome company if I had a VW, 996 or 997
Benz ......

http://www.pes-tuning.com

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re:

GIAC is a known quantity so I don't have an issue with them as a business but I do share some of the concerns of others on the board. Here are a few questions:

1) Will they continue to support the product if there are issues?
2) What is the price?
3) Will it be a chip or flash upgrade?
4) Will they sell it with a softloader?

As noted, GIAC has always been an aggressive tuner of VAG cars, but I've known VAG owners who have run into issues with some of their tunes...which gives me some pause in consideration of their response to question #1. My friend was pushing a lot of oil through his exhaust with the original chip in his TT. It was fixed but if the Volvo program isn't being supported then I'm concerned.

-Eric

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts

I emailed GIAC about possibly doing a chip for the R and they said that they weren't currently working on anything for Volvo. It didn't sound like they ever planned on releasing something for the R so I'm not sure where any of this came from.

-Eric

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (Sue Esponte)

Quote, originally posted by Sue Esponte »
I emailed GIAC about possibly doing a chip for the R and they said that they weren't currently working on anything for Volvo. It didn't sound like they ever planned on releasing something for the R so I'm not sure where any of this came from.

-Eric

Me too
:

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for your email. We had done some chips for the older models, but we don't have anything available for the 2004 V70R at this time. I can hang on to your email and let you know if something becomes available.

Regards,
Andrea Howlett
GIAC
Automotive Programming

At 02:49 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:

Autoscope is about 5 min. from me here in Dallas, TX and is listed as one of your dealers.

I hear you have an upgrade for Volvo R cars and would like more information on it.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
591 Posts
Re: Re: (Sue Esponte)

As noted, GIAC has always been an aggressive tuner of VAG cars, but I've known VAG owners who have run into issues with some of their tunes...which gives me some pause in consideration of their response to question #1. My friend was pushing a lot of oil through his exhaust with the original chip in his TT. It was fixed but if the Volvo program isn't being supported then I'm concerned.

-Eric

Eric,

Not sure if I would use one person's experince as a proxy for GIAC. They are well known for having very well tested maps, and also usually two different levels, more or less aggressive. I had their chip in my old S4 ('01) and went for the -X (=more aggressive). Very nice upgrade with lots of torque and high end HP.
I remember seeing one quote that summarizes the chip & turbo failure relation perfectly:

"No, there is really no problem at all pushing the turbos to deliver twice the orginal design pressure and volume. Really. I'm sure."

IF you chip THEN your engine will be further abused
IF your engine is further abused THEN things will break.

The S4 (B5 style) was a rare bird since the RS4 model in Europe was pretty much the same engine with larger turbos and larger ICs. Hence the rest of the engine and drivetrain could easily take the chipped power.

On our cars I'd be concerned not only with the turbo, but also with drivetrain movement, the angle gear, and the intercooler (pressured air) piping etc.

But if I could get the same rush I had in the S4 in the Volvo - SIGN ME UP!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Jay_SB - Will they offer this with their "Flash loader" sytems?
http://www.giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php

If so, I would be interested.

It would also be nice if they could offer a more tame re-map for those of us wanting more power but are worried about potential drivetrain problems. I'd be happy with a tune that adds 20 to 25whp (instead of the 30-35 offered by the others).

LTA

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (LTA)

Quote, originally posted by FastWgn »
Not sure if I would use one person's experince as a proxy for GIAC. They are well known for having very well tested maps, and also usually two different levels, more or less aggressive.

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that one person's experience should be used as a proxy for GIAC. I was simply offering it as an example of why I'd only want to buy a chip from a company that was going to commit to ongoing support of the product and was questioning whether GIAC would do so if they were only selling an R chip as a "one off" or "group buy".

And actually, if my friend's experience could serve as a proxy, I guess you could say that it would be a positive marker of why one would want to buy from GIAC since they continued to support and revise the tuning of his chip to remedy the problems he (and other 225 TT owners) were experiencing with their early release chips. I know a lot of people who have bought from GIAC. I don't have an issue with them as a known quantity in the tuner world. It was more of a future support question as I described above.

-Eric

·
Registered
591 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (Sue Esponte)

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting that one person's experience should be used as a proxy for GIAC. I was simply offering it as an example of why I'd only want to buy a chip from a company that was going to commit to ongoing support of the product and was questioning whether GIAC would do so if they were only selling an R chip as a "one off" or "group buy".

And actually, if my friend's experience could serve as a proxy, I guess you could say that it would be a positive marker of why one would want to buy from GIAC since they continued to support and revise the tuning of his chip to remedy the problems he (and other 225 TT owners) were experiencing with their early release chips. I know a lot of people who have bought from GIAC. I don't have an issue with them as a known quantity in the tuner world. It was more of a future support question as I described above.

-Eric

OK - sorry for missreading you [standing humbled in the corner, scratching my foot on the floor]

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: GIAC chip (FastWgn)

No need to apologize! Unfortunately, Jeff and I received the exact same email response so I don't think it much matters. I've emailed APR in the past, too, and never heard a response. I'd love to see a VAG tuner take on the R as a pet project.

-Eric

1 - 18 of 18 Posts