SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anything like this ever happened to you?<P>Ok, I know my XC was missing me (the feeling was mutual) while I was in Florida for two weeks, but this is just weird. Yesterday it was 95 F in Portland, Oregon (weird enough on its own) and about 80 in my garage. I just arrived home after the afternoon commute and let the engine idle for a while before turning the car off as usual. I went inside my house to enjoy the newly installed central air (luckily happened while I was gone) for an hour or so. I later returned to the garage to get some CD's from my car only to find the fan (and possibly the AC) was blowing in the car!? No key in the ignition, no lights on the dash, but definitely medium-powered cool air being blown through the vents. I put my key in and turned it to Accessory and back off. The air stopped immediately and hasn't returned -- that I've noticed, and I will not admit to trying to sneak up on the car later -- no matter what you've heard...<P>I found this a little strange. <P>--Adam

·
Registered
61 Posts
It is a design feature, so I understand, to prevent condensation under certain circumstances. The ghost would have departed if you had let it run its course. There may well be a troll or two resident in the car but they don't operate anything mechanical -just do funny things with the remotes and digital displays when they get capricious.

·
Registered
528 Posts
It's a feature, and it works pretty darn well, as far as I can tell. Its main purpose is to eliminate that nasty mold smell that so many AC systems get after a while. The "afterblow" operation is actually described in the owner's manual, believe it or not. It cannot operate the AC without the engine spinning the compressor, it just blows the fan to dry the evaporator.<P>It's a good thing.<P>- Darell

·
Registered
339 Posts
i once read that about 1 out of 10 people read their manual after they buy a car. not picking on anybody, but there is always something to learn from the book. it is there for a reason.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mostly it seems to be there to alert you to the fact that there is damn little maintenance that a mere owner can perform.<P>Pointing to the location of the various filters would sure be a bonus. Just take a look at any Honda manual as an example of how these things SHOULD be put together.<P>- Just a bit of a gripe of mine. Especially considering there is no shop manual for these cars...<P>- Darell

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking of filters, how does one check for the cabin / pollen filter? The local guys that take care of oil changes could not find it, and the dealer told them that some cars did not have them installed (Owner's manual says, under routine maintenance section, if equipped). Checking the window sticker, I am supposed to have one. Anyone?<BR>Thanks, Pk<P>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts