SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to thank everyone for helping us pick out our new XC90. I noticed that after several minutes of driving, and now that I think about it, pretty much the entire time after the car was warmed up, the temp gauge never passed a quarter of the way up, actually lookeing straight on at the gauge, between the quarter mark and 3/8's mark. I'm used to seeing those temp gauges closer to the middle. This seems low. Has anyone heard of sticking thermostats on these 2.5's?

What do you guys usually get mpg-wise around town and on the highway? I thought with the 2.5 it would be a little higher but maybe I'm just not used to driving such a heavier car. We current are averaging about 15 mpg on our first tank mostly around town, probably 75% town driving, 25% highway. Any recommendations to improve mpg?

I plan on doing the Stage 0 tune up in the next few weeks. I have February break off from work so that will probably be the best time. One more question on the timing belt. What exactly goes wrong that leads to excessive wear or damage with these? I assume it's the belt wearing out and causing slack/wear to the pulleys but just wanted to ask. I popped the timing belt cover off and the belt physically looked great, no cracks at all but some oil residue on the inside of the cover.

Also, any recommendations for oil + filter for the future? Going to order that filter removal tool!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congrats on the new ride.

I have an 06 2.5 also. I'm averaging about 18-20 but I'm 90% highway. When I run around town to much it drops quick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your car requires the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley replacement at 10 years or 120,000 miles. Most people also do the water pump while you're in there. If your timing belt breaks, the pistons will hit the valves, causing serious engine damage, likely destroying your engine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Temp gauge sounds like a thermostat issue. But wadda I know. Mine is in the middle and rock solid.

As far as MPG for many years I was right on the claimed MPG. 19 & 23. I have dropped a bit now (278k miles) If I am strictly in town it's 16-17. Note that the trip computer reads low by about 1 MPG. So you are likely getting a bit better! We have a vacation home in a high desert. 3600'. Our main home is only a couple hundred feet. I love coming back...downhill all the way! I'll do 25-27 MPG depending on traffic

And yes I would do the timing belt ASAP.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Do you run 91 or above octane fuel? That can improve gas mileage. But if it will outweigh price where you are, I don't know. I haven't heard of a sticking thermostat on a 90, but our V70XC had it go out and the temp reading was the same as what you described. Mine sits dead center all the time, no matter the driving conditions or how lead footed I am.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
And pictures maybe?

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to throw a picture up. Anyone know what temp the coolant should be running? I can run the torque app to check it. Only run 91. I'd rather pay the price for the octane. Same with my Saab.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your car requires the timing belt, tensioner and idler pulley replacement at 10 years or 120,000 miles. Most people also do the water pump while you're in there. If your timing belt breaks, the pistons will hit the valves, causing serious engine damage, likely destroying your engine.
Believe me, I know how bad that could be! It will be one of the first things on my list of to do's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts