SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am a huge noob. I dont even own my s40 yet, but Its what i plan on getting after my Focus sells.
I currently have a 2001 modified focus, and to start getting more HP, you immediatly add an intake, a full exhaust (header-cat-all the way back)
Bigger coils wires etc etc... and then you get it tuned
Then you get to turbo, and bigger injectors and bigger intercoolers and such. and tune it again.

It really is as simple as that. With the volvo, whats the best route to take?
on the hot side of the turbo, are there any options for different pipes or exhaust header or are all the exhausts started at the cat? Making it a cat-back?
The car i will be getting is a t5 geartronic, and i know that if its in geartronic and its not shifted manually by a certain rpm (4k or 5k) i think, it shifts for you...
Im wondering if you can tune that out, so it wont shift until you click it to shift. Id like to hold the boost into the higher rpm ranges.
If its tuned, can i just put in some larger injectors?
Can I buy an aftermarket intercooler setup?

What about throttle bodies? My focus came with like a 50mm tb, and i upgraded to a 65mm and that gave the pedal so much more response. 0hp, but alot more responsive....

Sorry for all the questions, I just have been searching for a few days and havent found anything.
The car already has the K&N setup, but Im not sure about the ECU placement...should it be moved?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Okay, a 70 mm TB is available, but doesn't make sense, as turbo engine "air flow" doesn't depend on the TB size. Instead it is the turbo pressure. So no reason to.

A tune up to around 380 hp doesn't require much:

- Different Turbo
- Different Software
- Different Cat
- Different exhaust
- Different Piping from MAF to Turbo

Done. 380 hp are then basically secure. Holding a turbo engine up at high RPM doesn't always help, as - depending on turbo size - the power will let off (if you have a small turbo it will be at too higher RPM for to produce enough boost).

And the GT can't be reprogrammed. I also wouldn't tune a T5 with GT to anything above 280-300 hp. The GT isn't the best and rigid automatic you can buy... If you want a lot of ponies, then look into an M66 (manual).

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Welcome to SwedeSpeed and good luck with your purchase!

Let's see pics of this focus! What engine does it have?

and i know that if its in geartronic and its not shifted manually by a certain rpm (4k or 5k) i think, it shifts for you...
Not true, I've redlined mine multiple times (I always drive in GT), but no way do I recommend driving like that! I was just experimenting with the GT one day.
If you put it in Drive and push the pedal past that little click, it will automatically shift around 6K rpm.

Now with an automatic, there is a torque limiter in 1st-2nd. And like Daim said, I wouldn't push a GT too far in the power range. It's not quite worth it for how the car restricts itself, it's likely just to cause more damage. However, many members with GTs have gotten plenty more power out of their cars! If I recall correctly though, doing a K16 turbo (or anything bigger) was stated as being pretty rough on the automatic transmission and you can't really use all of the potential power that you have.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a GT and she drives just fine ;)

if you dont wanna do a turbo swap right away you can go the route i did

FMIC
Intake
downpipe and exhaust
Intake manifold
Lower Intake Plenum
HD Coilpacks

Hey daim, i didnt know there was a 70mm TB out for our cars?!? would you mind posting a link? or is it swapped off of another volvo :confused:

·
Registered
915 Posts
Level 10 can build up the GT to handle the k16 swap and then some. The GT won't be as quick off the line as the M66 but it has longer legs! :) there is a Guy in south Africa with a built s40 t5 GT on c30 world.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
THanks guys, this will be a really good start.
Are alot of our upgrades from the Focus RS? I saw an ECM holder earlier too. I knew some suspension was interchangeable...
Anyway
So most of you said "if you want to go faster b.get a bigger turbo, but not quite a k16"
I dont no much about turbos yet, so if someone could name 3 that would be a good upgrade, Ill go from there and start learning because Im not sure where to even start. Whats the inlet and outlet size on the stock baby one?
And I KNOW i want to have the FMIC, but how does that work with the turbo being in the back of the engine? maybe im a retard but the turbo i was looking at the other night was connected to the intake (FMIC), and then also connected to the exhaust manifold....like i said, you might be rolling on the ground laughing, or calling me an idiot, but i have alot to learn...
And heres my focus.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, best of all is the K16. A friend has it in his 380 hp C30... FUN!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
However, many members with GTs have gotten plenty more power out of their cars! If I recall correctly though, doing a K16 turbo (or anything bigger) was stated as being pretty rough on the automatic transmission and you can't really use all of the potential power that you have.
Well, best of all is the K16. A friend has it in his 380 hp C30... FUN!
You say the k16's power is worth the beating that it gives the Auto tranny?
I have an aggressive shifting tune on my focus now, (also auto) and its been on about 30k, the transmission is starting to float going into certain gears, however i dont regret it because its so much fun. I wouldnt want this sort of thing to happen to my boosted s40 though.

Do you still stick with your k16 idea or would you say a step smaller would be less harsh on the tranny, but less hp too?

EDIT: That k16 turbo setup is sick. I didnt realize that was stock on the new RS. Very nice.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well the turbo charger can only produce the power it is programmed to. If you fit a K16 to a standard T5 and don't touch the software, it will still have the same punch. Maybe a little bit different in certain areas but in total it will have near to the same charakteristics. So I would take a K16 and get a gentle remap to say 300 hp. But you'd still be wanting a new downpipe, cat, and cat back!

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Agreed that the K16 is probably your best bet and a tune will help out for your car's sake. Really, I think it comes down to what other mods you want to do along with it.

A few other members on here have K16s, so you may want to search for their threads. The easiest search method on this site is to do a site-specific google search. Try this!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks!
But itll have the K&N, ill probably do a better FMIC setup, if i can find some examples and what not (my question still stands, the turbo is on the back...how does the FMIC work out?) and then the exhaust as well.
Ive seen some exhaust clips, what manufacturers are out there for exhausts? Theres always cheapy OBX, what about a magnaflow?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts