SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear shocks are leaking and i saw there's going to be a group buy for BC coilovers for our caRs. I'm still pretty new to modding/working on suspension for my R, although I did a full bilstein suspension replacement on my old s60.

If i were to buy the set on FCPeuro for $1,000 what exactly is necessary to do to do the full switch from the 4C setup to coilovers? Will I need new springs/mounts? (It doesn't look like they come with springs) and I'm assuming there's some way to deactivate the 4C with vida or something. Any help/experience is appreciated :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can't deactivate the 4C system. It's all tied in together with your headlights, the chassis settings, and your ABS I believe. You have to trick the sensor into thinking it's still running the electronic struts.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't deactivate the 4C system. It's all tied in together with your headlights, the chassis settings, and your ABS I believe. You have to trick the sensor into thinking it's still running the electronic struts.

is that the thing where you mount the sensor on the chassis?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah, I believe there's a couple write ups on different ways to do it. I want to do coilovers too, it's a lot cheaper than a whole 4C setup on all 4.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah and I feel like coilovers would be much better suited on the R, I'm not a fan of the 4C. Plus FCP has their lifetime warranty so it's basically $1000 for unlimited coilovers. I'm just unsure about the intricacies of it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For 05-07 P2R's you'll need to cut out the sensors from your existing 4c shocks, the rears are easier to do that with but the fronts can also be removed. You'd keep the sensors wired into the system and mount the sensors in the engine bay / on the rear control arms thus "tricking" the system and allowing you to run any shocks you want.

Here's what they look like as they come out of the bottom of the shock:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are there writeups on it? if not i can probably figure it out.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Just so there's no confusion, you don't have to trick the 4C into thinking anything. People choose to because of the error light that comes up on the dash (orange triangle).

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So much for the whole getting rid of 4C to save a buck idea, lol.
it'll save me a few hundred while also getting rid of the annoying 4C system. when it works it's great but it doesn't work too often for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
A 4C refresh is cheaper than coilovers... And better IMHO. Rear shocks are $550 for the pair on rockauto. Fronts are the same. Add $400 for 2 sets of spring seats and you're set for 120k miles.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are coilovers less durable? if i were to get the set for $1000, and have a lifetime warranty, i feel like it'll save me money and get better performance in the long run

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
When something doesn't work on my R I prefer just fixing it instead of scrapping it. Too many people want to blame it for things its not even responsible for like worn bushings and alignment, or the fact that driving through a giant pothole or speeding over a speed bump doesn't feel good.

When people start discovering that a cheap coil over system won't last as long as their factory struts did the first time around they will probably reconsider how much money they really saved.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well stealthy usually i agree with your opinions but wouldn't the lifetime warranty negate the whole wear issue compared to OEM? i like the options that coilovers give in terms of adjustment and i've read good things about these ones. for the same price as the 4C stuff which quite a few people think is inherently flawed i think it's worth it. but then again i haven't owned mine as long as you or hound so i'm probably missing something.

my suspension is getting a full overhaul and i'm just trying to play around with different ideas on what i'd view as the best option.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Sure, with a lifetime warranty you can just keep fixing it without having to buy the replacement parts. I don't mind paying extra for the more durable solution so I can minimize my DIY time which is always in limited supply. Don't forget that by buying from FCP I also now have a lifetime warranty on my front 4C struts too.

Since I like the 3 ride stiffness options provided with 4C I invested in sway bars instead. I enjoy speeding through corners and my current setup gives me the stability I need to do so with confidence. The idea of being stuck in harsh ride mode all the time for something that is not a race car doesn't appeal to me at all.

To each their own, but for those people who just go 'ouch, 4C parts are expensive, how can I save a buck on this car', the idea of ripping it all out to go with coil overs isn't the best solution available IMHO.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hm. yeah i see your point. the area where i live doesn't have incredibly awful roads so i don't mind the stiffness, i drive stricly in sport anyway. i basically just want to tighten up the suspension and make it less crashy and jittery than the 4C, i'm just not 100% sure how to go about doing so. new bushings/mounts obviously but for me its a grey area when i think about the actual strut/shock part of it

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
We have great paved roads where I'm at, but I also have to drive some unpaved roads sometimes too which is a reason I prefer the comfort mode as well as the stiffer options.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
To each their own, but for those people who just go 'ouch, 4C parts are expensive, how can I save a buck on this car', the idea of ripping it all out to go with coil overs isn't the best solution available IMHO.
For me, it wasn't the cost of replacement. It was driving an S60R(Connor's) on KWs. It was very eye opening.

And then what forced my hand, was a four year old strut's sensor failed. Just the sensor. Just outside of warranty. -_-

1 - 20 of 34 Posts