SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2018 XC60 T5 AWD. I get 21.3mpg in mixed driving. It is pretty low, but then again, the XC60 is a heavy car. The XC90 is even heavier. When my wife takes my car for a few days, the number goes up to 23mpg in mixed driving.

·
Registered
106 Posts
2.0 Liter four cylinder vs a 4400 lb car is the reason your city mileage is hurting. This will be especially true if the area you're driving in has lots of elevation changes. I could easily pull 20 plus in the city with my 740 turbos, but they only weighed in around 2,900-3000 lbs My 960 2.9L NA can't get over 15-16 mpg in the city and it weighs close to 3600 lbs.

Yes the differance between 87 and 91-93 octane fuel matters in fuel economy. It you live in a flat area and never drive over 55 mph, the differance will be minimal. You live in a hilly area and like to drive above 65 mph you will take a major fuel economy hit using 87 over premium. I've done a lot of testing over the years on long drives and saw the big fuel economy hit. My 960 2.9l I6 cruise control set at 65 mph, straight gas 29-29.5 mpg, E10 28 mpg, 89 octane 25-26 mpg, 87 octane 22 mpg. My 740 Turbos saw similar drops in fuel economy as the octane was lowered.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
2.0 Liter four cylinder vs a 4400 lb car is the reason your city mileage is hurting. This will be especially true if the area you're driving in has lots of elevation changes. I could easily pull 20 plus in the city with my 740 turbos, but they only weighed in around 2,900-3000 lbs My 960 2.9L NA can't get over 15-16 mpg in the city and it weighs close to 3600 lbs.

Yes the differance between 87 and 91-93 octane fuel matters in fuel economy. It you live in a flat area and never drive over 55 mph, the differance will be minimal. You live in a hilly area and like to drive above 65 mph you will take a major fuel economy hit using 87 over premium. I've done a lot of testing over the years on long drives and saw the big fuel economy hit. My 960 2.9l I6 cruise control set at 65 mph, straight gas 29-29.5 mpg, E10 28 mpg, 89 octane 25-26 mpg, 87 octane 22 mpg. My 740 Turbos saw similar drops in fuel economy as the octane was lowered.
An infinite number of research results and owners would say they have the opposite experience. Running higher octane does not change your fuel economy much. Most people can’t keep records exact enough to even see the difference. MotorTrend magazine did a review of a whole bunch of cars not long ago with different octanes and showed it makes curry ally no difference. A turbocharged car makes even less difference.

·
Banned
1,125 Posts
An infinite number of research results and owners would say they have the opposite experience. Running higher octane does not change your fuel economy much. Most people can’t keep records exact enough to even see the difference. MotorTrend magazine did a review of a whole bunch of cars not long ago with different octanes and showed it makes curry ally no difference. A turbocharged car makes even less difference.
if you use regular 87 compare to 89 or 91-93 there is a difference as volvo Manual for t5 cars says car takes 87 but prefer 91. I did notice a difference from 87 to 89 and 91-93 . Even my v8 Olds with northstar engine takes 87 but in manual for better gas milage says use 89 or 91.I do get less miles on 87 compare to 89. How ever if you use 91 or 93 there will be no difference or if car takes 87 easy putting 89 91-93 wont do anything.

·
Registered
2021 S90 Polestar/Inscription & 2021 XC60 T6
14 Posts
I love my Volvo. One of the best cars I have owned. There are 2-3 annoying things about my car. One of them is the poor mpg and tiny gas tank. I get about 15-16 mpg, mostly city driving. With the small gas tank, it takes me only 200 miles. I am really wondering if there is something wrong with the car. Is that normal? The Volvo service guy told me everything is fine with the car. I think 15 mpg for a 4 cylinder is pretty bad and that combined with the small tank is not fun. Was wondering how other do with their T5s.
On my 2021 S90 T6 Polestar, I’ve clocked blended 25.5 mpg since inception. yours sounds incredibly low unless you are driving like a maniac! :). Premium octane and quality brand can make a difference in MPG too. I’ve worked in the oil/gas business for 30 years and have friends that say octane & brand don’t make a difference….but it 100% does. Curious what grade and brand you use.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love my Volvo. One of the best cars I have owned. There are 2-3 annoying things about my car. One of them is the poor mpg and tiny gas tank. I get about 15-16 mpg, mostly city driving. With the small gas tank, it takes me only 200 miles. I am really wondering if there is something wrong with the car. Is that normal? The Volvo service guy told me everything is fine with the car. I think 15 mpg for a 4 cylinder is pretty bad and that combined with the small tank is not fun. Was wondering how other do with their T5s.
My 2019 S90 T5 gets high 20's around town. Often hit low 30's on long Interstate drives. 2019 model year predicted these MPG, that's why I picked T5 over T6. Unless your driving habits are extreme, you have a problem. The small tank is something I question too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I regularly get 30 mpg with my 2018 T5; have gotten 35 mpg with all highway driving. Could be your driving style; I use adaptive cruise control extensively when on the highway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My 2019 S90 T5 gets high 20's around town. Often hit low 30's on long Interstate drives. 2019 model year predicted these MPG, that's why I picked T5 over T6. Unless your driving habits are extreme, you have a problem. The small tank is something I question too!
14.5 gallon tank is definitely fact and way too small for such a big car.

I don't have any issues with my freeway miles. I can get high 20s on the freeway. My problem is driving in the city. 2 main things were already said: I live on top of the hill and my wife uses the car mainly for short trips in the city but I still think mpg is too low, definitely lower than with my 8 cylinder BMW 750i (same everything(gas type, driving habit etc.) but 20mpg). I always use 91 premium gas but get it from a no name gas station.

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
I don't have any issues with my freeway miles. I can get high 20s on the freeway. My problem is driving in the city. 2 main things were already said: I live on top of the hill and my wife uses the car mainly for short trips in the city but I still think mpg is too low, definitely lower than with my 8 cylinder BMW 750i (same everything(gas type, driving habit etc.) but 20mpg). I always use 91 premium gas but get it from a no name gas station.
Sounds like a case of Binary Throttle Syndrome, lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if you use regular 87 compare to 89 or 91-93 there is a difference as volvo Manual for t5 cars says car takes 87 but prefer 91. I did notice a difference from 87 to 89 and 91-93 . Even my v8 Olds with northstar engine takes 87 but in manual for better gas milage says use 89 or 91.I do get less miles on 87 compare to 89. How ever if you use 91 or 93 there will be no difference or if car takes 87 easy putting 89 91-93 wont do anything.
I totally agree, it all depends on the driving characteristics of every person.

Amazed at these numbers. 21 T6 PE here myself and get about 14.5 city on a good day typically at 11-12mpg.
I think it's the individual driving habits and the car. Owned two C-70's one a '08 and the present car a '13. Same car same engine same everything, including the nuts behind the wheel. One got 27-28 mpg the other 32-33 mpg. Go figure. Tried the octane thing, just a waste of money. Makes no difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I own a 2018 S90 T5 and easily get around 31-34 MPG on the highway driving about an average speed of 70-75 with A/C on and around 26 in the city (Phoenix). I usually purchase premium gas and keep it in Eco mode except that I immediately turn off that start/stop feature; I hate it. 19" wheels. It's a great car and reliable. Oh, and I don't drive like a madman like most of the drivers in this city; it's not a racing car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Have you tried calming down your driving style for a tank or two to see what you can do as a "best" for mpg?? Driving style and terrain always makes a massive difference in mpg, but even more so when using a small turbo motor to push a heavy car because to create that feeling of power it is absolutely ramming air and gas through that little engine when you stomp on the gas. Which is why they're fun to drive :) I get 15-20mpg around town for sure. I try to drive mellow on the freeway to make up for it, my lifetime average is 26.7mpg over 32k miles. I do a lot of highway, but it's LA area where the highways can be stop and go too haha.

·
Registered
967 Posts
The owners manual for my 2018 V90 T-5 states that 91 octane is required and 93 is recommended. This is true for all of the SPA cars.

For older Volvos, the recommendation was for 91 octane although you could use 87 octane.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

Straight from the OP’s car’s user manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,211 Posts
^^ Stop trying to introduce facts to the discussion!

·
Banned
1,125 Posts
The owners manual for my 2018 V90 T-5 states that 91 octane is required and 93 is recommended. This is true for all of the SPA cars.

For older Volvos, the recommendation was for 91 octane although you could use 87 octane.
well spa platform or p3 2015.5-2018 drive e engine is exactly same engine so if its t5 i am sure even spa can use 87 but i am sure you will get horrible mpg however its good thing at times wont kill your engine just in case if you somewhere where only 87 and you have no choice. unlike bmw or audi 93 is must and if you put 87 than you might be screwed later.

Thats why on spa manual it says this "Volvo requires premium fuel (91 octane or above) for best performance. fuel economy" at times i used 89 on my s90 when 91-93 was not there and nothing happened and gas milage was almost same as 91. Never used 87 thanks god but i did had to use once on my 2017 s60 p3 with exact same engine and no issues just had less mpg

·
Registered
480 Posts
well spa platform or p3 2015.5-2018 drive e engine is exactly same engine so if its t5 i am sure even spa can use 87 but i am sure you will get horrible mpg however its good thing at times wont kill your engine just in case if you somewhere where only 87 and you have no choice. unlike bmw or audi 93 is must and if you put 87 than you might be screwed later.

Thats why on spa manual it says this "Volvo requires premium fuel (91 octane or above) for best performance. fuel economy" at times i used 89 on my s90 when 91-93 was not there and nothing happened and gas milage was almost same as 91. Never used 87 thanks god but i did had to use once on my 2017 s60 p3 with exact same engine and no issues just had less mpg
My EM (2017 V90CC OR) says "Volvo demands premium fuel,91 octane or higher, for T5, T6 and T8 engines. Nothing about "for best performance".

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
City driving will yield these results. It’s a four cylinder pushing 4,000 plus pounds from a stop multiple times. Drive it on the freeway for 100 miles at 65-70 mph and see what your results are. If it’s 27+, your car is working normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 46 Posts