SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Volvo. One of the best cars I have owned. There are 2-3 annoying things about my car. One of them is the poor mpg and tiny gas tank. I get about 15-16 mpg, mostly city driving. With the small gas tank, it takes me only 200 miles. I am really wondering if there is something wrong with the car. Is that normal? The Volvo service guy told me everything is fine with the car. I think 15 mpg for a 4 cylinder is pretty bad and that combined with the small tank is not fun. Was wondering how other do with their T5s.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I love my Volvo. One of the best cars I have owned. There are 2-3 annoying things about my car. One of them is the poor mpg and tiny gas tank. I get about 15-16 mpg, mostly city driving. With the small gas tank, it takes me only 200 miles. I am really wondering if there is something wrong with the car. Is that normal? The Volvo service guy told me everything is fine with the car. I think 15 mpg for a 4 cylinder is pretty bad and that combined with the small tank is not fun. Was wondering how other do with their T5s.
My 2018 S90 T6 around town was definitely under 20, stop and go in traffic crushed it. Highway, 26ish was typical, maybe higher, never hit 30 though.
Now my 2019 S90 T8, that's MPGs has NEVER been below 30, and I have hit 40 on 800 mile road trip last weekend.
For around town/city/traffic/stop-go, the only way to know is to compare other cars with similar driving. Like my Volvo would get say 17, same driving my Challenger would get 14, so it would use quite a bit less for similar weight car.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
How big is your wheels if its 19s or 20th thats how you will get. 2018 t6 that i had was getting 20-25 tops with 20th with 18th i was getting 30-36 easy.

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Probably mostly driving style. Try resetting the trip computer and take it on a highway run and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 MOM
97 Posts
I totally agree, it all depends on the driving characteristics of every person.

Same for me 26-28 city, 32-33 highway. I haven't taken a long trip though. 2020 S90 T6

Amazed at these numbers. 21 T6 PE here myself and get about 14.5 city on a good day typically at 11-12mpg.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually get pretty good mpg on the freeway. During the pandemic I used it for longer business trips and I used to get around 27-30mpg. The big issue is the city mpg which is significantly less than with my 8 cylinder 750i BMW. We drive the same routes and same drivers. BMW average 20mpg, Volvo 15-16mpg.

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
Yeah, it's a little motor trying to get a big car up to speed from stoplight to stoplight.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2017 S90 T6 and just took a 3000 mile round trip to Maine and averaged 30mpg. I typically put the car in Eco mode when I can, and that seems to help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mileage may vary based on a lot of things... A LOT of mileage will be lost in the city if you deactivate your auto start stop. You blow a LOT of gas idling at lights. Always keep it activated if you're concerned about city mileage.

I lost about 5-7 mpg in the city when my auto StartStop malfunctioned due to the small battery getting weak.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mileage may vary based on a lot of things... A LOT of mileage will be lost in the city if you deactivate your auto start stop. You blow a LOT of gas idling at lights. Always keep it activated if you're concerned about city mileage.

I lost about 5-7 mpg in the city when my auto StartStop malfunctioned due to the small battery getting weak.
That is possible, i have it turned off because my wife hates it. But still, compared to all my other cars, my s90 has the worst city mpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Short trip vs long trip is the biggest thing I have seen. You will loose 25 percent or more on short trips of 7 miles or less. Not talking about battery power.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I don't see how you could possibly be getting mileage that low. I don't own a 90 series, but many people get mileage far and away from what you are experiencing. I don't know how bad city mileage can be, but there is no question the car is capable of over 30 mpg on the highway. Your mileage is almost worse than my Audi R8 V10

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't see how you could possibly be getting mileage that low. I don't own a 90 series, but many people get mileage far and away from what you are experiencing. I don't know how bad city mileage can be, but there is no question the car is capable of over 30 mpg on the highway. Your mileage is almost worse than my Audi R8 V10
I asked the service guy during the last inspection, he said everything looks ok but honestly he didn't seem to care at all. The only other explanation I have is that my gas station sales 87 gas as 91.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I asked the service guy during the last inspection, he said everything looks ok but honestly he didn't seem to care at all. The only other explanation I have is that my gas station sales 87 gas as 91.
That's not even remotely close to an explanation. The fuel economy between 87 and 91 is negligible at best and no explanation as to why you get significantly bellow the normal fuel economy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts