SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is winter and time to start on a few fixes. My trunk lock does not have a tumbler and this wasn't a bother as the trunk would always open when I pulled on the lever. Well, one time I closed the trunk it must have shifted something so now the trunk is locked and I can't get into it. I did a search and read that Phil Singher went in through the speaker holes behind the seat with a stiff wire. Is this the only way?

I have speaker holes but I do not know what I am looking for to unlatch the trunk. I can't see it as the speaker holes are only about 6in across. So what am I trying to unlatch and where exactly is it on the lock (or maybe its not on the lock)? Thanks for the help. I have a spare tumbler for the trunk which I will definitely install once I get the trunk open.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the link between the trunk handle and latch break on me and I had to break in and make one out of a bent threaded rod. Here's a picture of the bottom of the trunk lid where the latch hooks and pulls the lever which fastens against the catch in trunk rear panel.

https://flic.kr/p/awp7Po

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I would look inside the handle first and see if there's something to turn. The lock is just a bar that flips 180 with the key and prevents the handle from lifting up. If the tumbler is out, a screwdriver or something similar should be able to lock/unlock it like the key does.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. I tried going in with a screwdriver where the tunmbler would sit but I see nothing that I can turn or push/pull that would unlock the trunk. I may be missing other parts beside the tumbler. It looks like I will have to go in via the tail lights as the one link suggests or the speaker holes. The picture was helpful as I can now see what it looks like. I'll let you know how I fare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts