SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Ive always been told to do the water pump with the timing belt on other cars. Not sure if this applies to Volvo, but they should know at the dealer. Smart of you to do the timing belt.
At least on the P2 cars they tend to suggest 1 water pump every 2 belts unless it is obviously leaking. But then there are those who come from the school of "while you're in there...." Who might say just go ahead and do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Update: Not a good one. After having the piston rings replaced in September/3k miles ago. The car is showing low oil level on the dipstick. The oil consumption problem may still exist.
Suggestions on how to go about this next? (Other than get it back to the dealer to diagnose the problem still exists).
Its a 2012 S60 T5 with 85K miles (no extended warranty). Do I just push for a brand new engine?
Can I push for them to replace my car with a 2013 (non defective MY). Buy back?

· Registered
7,523 Posts
Update: Not a good one. After having the piston rings replaced in September/3k miles ago. The car is showing low oil level on the dipstick. The oil consumption problem may still exist.
Suggestions on how to go about this next? (Other than get it back to the dealer to diagnose the problem still exists).
Its a 2012 S60 T5 with 85K miles (no extended warranty). Do I just push for a brand new engine?
FWIW, I recently test drove a 2015 S60 T6 RD and found that it had the piston rings replaced twice and then Volvo put in a new engine the third time, and all of this was within the first 8k miles of its life! Not sure if a new engine is standard procedure or if the prior owner really complained, but it would seem it is a possibility. Of course, that car was brand new and under warranty...

· Registered
250 Posts
There is a good chance it will be a rebuilt engine, but yeah new one. Up to VCNA, but if the ring job doesn't work, that seems to be the next step. No doubt this has probably cost them a fortune. It's good they look to be doing the right thing, but the inconsistency is what I find to be most annoying. Unpredictable even.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I had a dealer-serviced, still under warranty Volvo with 18K miles on the odometer and documented oil consumption of 1 quart per 3000 miles, essentially the same as yours. VCNA initially refused to do anything and told me that oil consumption of one quart per 1000 miles was "normal", which was clearly a baldfaced lie. I got nowhere until I threatened and wrote up a lemon law claim, after which the dealership quickly got the regional rep to agree to a buyback. The operative factor in my (and your) favor is that a used car with a lemon law claim on its record is tainted and virtually unsalable by the dealer, even at auction. In my case, I got a new car in an even-Stephen swap, and the dealer got to resell my old car to an unsuspecting new owner at used market price. All ended well for me and the dealer, but probably not for the second owner who inherited my oil guzzler. Unfortunately, your having had your car independently serviced weakens your bargaining leverage, but a threatened lemon law filing may be your best weapon. Good luck.
Piston rings replaced but consumption still happening.
Can I still do a lemon law case even if the car is out of warranty (I am at 85K miles)?

I assume that this ongoing oil consumption is doing damage to other systems such as the catalytic converter, PCV, etc. Could I make a claim regarding this?

Dealer had me pay for plugs (as they were ashy). I had paid for them to be replaced just 2,000 miles before the piston ring job was done). (and belts)Can I get VCNA to cover this?

From this point on, can I get VCNA to cover the ongoing oil consumption tests (oil changes) and diagnostic costs?

This is getting "old"/frustrating.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
UPDATE: Bad news is in. Piston ring job done a few thousand miles ago did not solve the oil consumption issue. The car was 1-3/4 quart low on oil. Volvo says it needs a new engine. We are waiting for next week to see if/how it will be covered by VCNA.
Is it reasonable to talk to them about getting a comparable replacement (except a '13 model year without the consumption issue). Seems engine replacement would be the value of the car. Any other suggestions?

· Registered
2,538 Posts
UPDATE: Bad news is in. Piston ring job done a few thousand miles ago did not solve the oil consumption issue. The car was 1-3/4 quart low on oil. Volvo says it needs a new engine. We are waiting for next week to see if/how it will be covered by VCNA.
Is it reasonable to talk to them about getting a comparable replacement (except a '13 model year without the consumption issue). Seems engine replacement would be the value of the car. Any other suggestions?
Im confused, you want another '12 or do you want a '13? Take the new engine, since it shouldnt cost you anything. Getting another car, no matter how much they offer you, will cost you something: tax, registration, cost differnce etc.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.