SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
For me. Volvo did nothing to correct my satisfaction. According to TJ29871, they recognize car has an oil consumption issues, I had it tested which determined 1.5 qts burned per 4500 miles. They said this was normal. This doesn't sound normal at all. So I asked them "well then please tell me what you consider normal?" There must be a determined value of normal and abnormal oil consumption. So they said they would get back to me. It's been 2 weeks. Who should I pursue for a better resolution - - dealer, VCNA, or both?

· Registered
2,393 Posts
This doesn't sound normal at all. So I asked them "well then please tell me what you consider normal?" There must be a determined value of normal and abnormal oil consumption.
The general consensuses amongst automobile manufacturers is ~1qt/1000 miles. I'm convinced that's just an arbitrary number to limit liability. The only car that I've ever owned, besides the infamous VW 2.0T, that burned that much oil was a '80 Pinto with bad valve stem seals. The bottom line, there is something worn out if an engine is burning a quart in a 1000 miles.

As for goodwill, your at +75k miles, out of warranty, and not really burning a tremendous amount of oil. It would be nice if Volvo stepped up here since they know there's a issue with this engine but I can also understand why they wouldn't.

· Registered
1,823 Posts
For me. Volvo did nothing to correct my satisfaction. According to TJ29871, they recognize car has an oil consumption issues, I had it tested which determined 1.5 qts burned per 4500 miles. They said this was normal. This doesn't sound normal at all. So I asked them "well then please tell me what you consider normal?" There must be a determined value of normal and abnormal oil consumption. So they said they would get back to me. It's been 2 weeks. Who should I pursue for a better resolution - - dealer, VCNA, or both?
To borrow a catchphrase from Chris Matthews on MSNBC, "it's time to play hardball"...

· Registered
277 Posts
My 2012 S60 T5 was dropped off Thursday last week for the “consumption test.” My car currently has 47k miles on it but is out of warranty due to time. After the last oil change I noticed that it was burning oil pretty quickly and took it in to see what they had to say. They told me that they opened a case with Volvo, even though it was out of warranty, topped off the oil and asked me to come back if it was low again. Two thousand miles later I took it back because the oil level was almost to the bottom of the X marks on the dipstick again. This time they put a new sticker on my car saying I had to use ACEA A5/B5 synthetic oil only, topped it off again and sent me on my way. I was almost due for a new oil change but still noticed that it was burning oil so I went to the dealer again and they told me to hold off and they scheduled me for the test. I am now waiting to hear what they say. Fingers crossed that Volvo steps up and takes care of this.

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Start with VCNA, they may point you to a different dealer. As you can see the dealer makes a big difference, as Capsfan seems to be having greater success.

· Registered
2,393 Posts
Start with VCNA, they may point you to a different dealer. As you can see the dealer makes a big difference, as Capsfan seems to be having greater success.
This is something I never understood. Why wouldn't a dealer want to pursue this? Wouldn't this simply mean more money to their bottom line? Is there a maximum to the number of cases that a dealer can open with VCNA? Are they looking for more profitable repairs? Is there a kick back to dealers with the least number of warranty repairs/cases submitted?

· Registered
2,538 Posts
This is something I never understood. Why wouldn't a dealer want to pursue this? Wouldn't this simply mean more money to their bottom line? Is there a maximum to the number of cases that a dealer can open with VCNA? Are they looking for more profitable repairs? Is there a kick back to dealers with the least number of warranty repairs/cases submitted?
I always assumed its because warranty repairs usually do not pay all the hours it takes, and the dealer has to provide a rental, at their expense, plus deal with any after repair issues. All combined together makes for a potentially messy situation, and if they have paying customers and gravy repair work, they just send people on down the road. Its terribly frustrating.....

· Registered
277 Posts
Just talked to the dealer and they are in the process of replacing my piston rings. Should be ready Friday. I am assuming that Volvo is covering this because the dealer didn't call me to authorize the work beforehand. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
620 Posts
The general consensuses amongst automobile manufacturers is ~1qt/1000 miles. I'm convinced that's just an arbitrary number to limit liability. The only car that I've ever owned, besides the infamous VW 2.0T, that burned that much oil was a '80 Pinto with bad valve stem seals. The bottom line, there is something worn out if an engine is burning a quart in a 1000 miles.
At 1 qt per 1000 miles, who needs oil changes.

· Registered
250 Posts
Not a fan of your dealer. I had to take mine to a new one that was willing to work with me. Just stay persistent.

· Registered
250 Posts
Just talked to the dealer and they are in the process of replacing my piston rings. Should be ready Friday. I am assuming that Volvo is covering this because the dealer didn't call me to authorize the work beforehand. Fingers crossed.
Hope it works. Not sure if you're aware, but many have had piston rings and it didn't seem to solve the problem.

· Registered
250 Posts

As for goodwill, your at +75k miles, out of warranty, and not really burning a tremendous amount of oil. It would be nice if Volvo stepped up here since they know there's a issue with this engine but I can also understand why they wouldn't.
Do the Volkswagens that cheat the emissions tests put that amount of pollution in the air?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Update - - I ended up going to a different dealership that was light years better than the first. The way they did the oil consumption test was they changed my oil, had me come back in 1,000 miles. Here they drained and weighed it. And determined it was consuming at a high rate. So the service advisor opened a case with VCNA, and submitted a whole stack of documents, including the maintenance records, and a brief description of our family's Volvo ownership. (The first dealership didn't do this). By the end of the following day, VCNA has agreed to offer goodwill assistance and pay for 100% of the repairs: piston ring replacement. Car is at 80K miles, running full synthetic and consuming 1qt per 1K miles or so. So just as the advice I got from others on here, persistence is key.

· Registered
503 Posts
Good! I'm glad to hear that. I'll research what that procedure involves.

I went to mine yesterday and explained everything. The manager was very courteous but they hadn't done this before so I don't think they knew what I was talking about. They changed the oil and basically told me to not come until I see the "Low Oil" light comes on at which point they'd open a case with Volvo.

So today in the morning before I started my car checked the dipstick and saw that the level was about an inch over the top hash mark. That was upsetting - they had overfilled the oil, in which case it would've taken forever for the "light" to come on. I'm bringing the car back to them so they can drain it to the exact level.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

I went to mine yesterday and explained everything. The manager was very courteous but they hadn't done this before so I don't think they knew what I was talking about. They changed the oil and basically told me to not come until I see the "Low Oil" light comes on at which point they'd open a case with Volvo.

So today in the morning before I started my car checked the dipstick and saw that the level was about an inch over the top hash mark. That was upsetting - they had overfilled the oil, in which case it would've taken forever for the "light" to come on. I'm bringing the car back to them so they can drain it to the exact level.
This car has a low oil pressure light, but no low oil LEVEL warning. By the time you get the oil pressure light, your engine could possibly be done with because of starvation, at which point VCNA its your fault. So no, thats wrong.

I would suggest going to a different dealer if possible, so the oil consumption test is done right. Change your oil (full synthetic). Then 1,000 miles later, they need to drain the oil and weigh it. For us, it only took one round of that to determine the high consumption rate. I spoke with my service advisor today, who said as part of the testing/diagnostics, the Volvo tech rep had them dig deep in/take apart a decent amount. So when I asked if I could pick up the car and schedule this for the following week, she said the car is already disassembled, and parts are on their way.
The key is persistence. And the key is to show that you are committed to dealer maintenance.

· Registered
250 Posts

WHOA WHOA WHOA! The oil light will not come on (as reported by many here)! Even if it does, it is too late. You are talking new engine at that point. You need to find another dealer or open a case with VCNA.

· Registered
250 Posts
This car has a low oil pressure light, but no low oil LEVEL warning. By the time you get the oil pressure light, your engine could possibly be done with because of starvation, at which point VCNA its your fault. So no, thats wrong.

I would suggest going to a different dealer if possible, so the oil consumption test is done right. Change your oil (full synthetic). Then 1,000 miles later, they need to drain the oil and weigh it. For us, it only took one round of that to determine the high consumption rate. I spoke with my service advisor today, who said as part of the testing/diagnostics, the Volvo tech rep had them dig deep in/take apart a decent amount. So when I asked if I could pick up the car and schedule this for the following week, she said the car is already disassembled, and parts are on their way.
The key is persistence. And the key is to show that you are committed to dealer maintenance.
Yep. Getting an oil change at the dealer next Saturday on my S60. Not taking any chances.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just a thought for everyone who may have dealt with this, or will. My '12 S60 is underogoing having it's engine rebuilt/piston rings replaced (goodwill assistance with VCNA). After talking to my service adviser, I decided to replace the timing belt (out of pocket). The car is at 82K miles, and the manufacturer recommends it be replaced at 120K miles. For the piston ring job, they remove the timing belt anyways (as in the labor hours are included in the piston ring job). So I chose to pay for a new timing belt kit (~$200) so that way I am not having to go back to do this job in 40K miles and pay for labor hours for it.
With that in mind, does anyone else have suggestions on parts that get re-installed/reused when doing this engine rebuild, and which of those parts are worth paying for (so I dont have to deal with this anytime soon). ?

· Registered
2,538 Posts
Just a thought for everyone who may have dealt with this, or will. My '12 S60 is underogoing having it's engine rebuilt/piston rings replaced (goodwill assistance with VCNA). After talking to my service adviser, I decided to replace the timing belt (out of pocket). The car is at 82K miles, and the manufacturer recommends it be replaced at 120K miles. For the piston ring job, they remove the timing belt anyways (as in the labor hours are included in the piston ring job). So I chose to pay for a new timing belt kit (~$200) so that way I am not having to go back to do this job in 40K miles and pay for labor hours for it.
With that in mind, does anyone else have suggestions on parts that get re-installed/reused when doing this engine rebuild, and which of those parts are worth paying for (so I dont have to deal with this anytime soon). ?
Ive always been told to do the water pump with the timing belt on other cars. Not sure if this applies to Volvo, but they should know at the dealer. Smart of you to do the timing belt.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.