SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is one of many '12 S60 T5 oil consumption threads.
Our car is one of the earlier produced ones, that falls in the VIN range specified by TJ29871. Car was dealer serviced until 52,500, then at a Volvo independent shop for the following two oil changes/factory scheduled services. It is due soon for the 75,000 service. Always had full synthetic oil.

We checked the oil level yesterday and the dipstick showed nothing, it was 1.5 quart short after 5k miles or so since the last oil change. So not as bad as others have experienced but this is the beginning of the end based on what people have written on here.

I spoke with the dealer Volvo of Palo Alto (California). The service director told me he pretty much wouldn't be able to help with getting goodwill assistance from Volvo because the car hasn't been seen by them in about 1yr4months. So just because I did the last 2 services at a Volvo independent shop (I have the records), and the car is out of warranty (though this is clearly a known issue/mfctr defect), I'm screwed. They told me it would start with me bringing the car into the dealer every 1500 miles or so for a period of 6 months for them to diagnose there is a consumption issue, and then go from there.

Some things that come to mind are the "Right to Repair" act and a mention on these forums of a California class action lawsuit regarding this issue.

Does anyone have any experience, or advice how to go about this? Thanks for the help.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've been following the posts closely. The summary seems to be: if you have had all services done at dealer (out of warranty) then Volvo seems to cooperate/is willing to help. Otherwise (like me--who has taken the car to a Volvo independent shop), they say "sucks to be you." So what do I say/how do I plead my case that this gets effectively diagnosed and Volvo offers goodwill assistance.
Seems like Volvo needs to step up to the plate and stand behind their product, instead of waiting for a lawsuit or mandatory recall before they extend help to affected vehicles/owners. (Kind of like they were forced to with the GM-sourced transmission on the early XC90 T6 AWD).

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct, but just because it falls in the VIN range does not necessarily mean you will have oil consumption, and doesn't mean just because it is affected by the TJ, they will replace your engine.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Volvo of Palo Alto changed the oil and said to come back every 2K miles for them to check levels.

The service advisor told me word for word "no engine is made perfect, and some oil consumption is normal. I burn a quart every 2500 in my Volvo and thats totally normal"
They won't open a case with Volvo until they have diagnosed the issue.

I call complete BS!? Any advice on what to do if thats the response I'm getting?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
After going through the steps of documentation with the dealer, they have recorded 1.5 quarts of consumption over 4500 miles running full synthetic oil.

They sent the case for review by the regional service manager, but what do you guys think, is this enough/substantial to have a case with Volvo to ask for goodwill assistance/repair, or is this normal?

Just a recap, its a '12 S60 T5, with a VIN that fits in the affected cars under TJ 29871. Thanks.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I had a dealer-serviced, still under warranty Volvo with 18K miles on the odometer and documented oil consumption of 1 quart per 3000 miles, essentially the same as yours. VCNA initially refused to do anything and told me that oil consumption of one quart per 1000 miles was "normal", which was clearly a baldfaced lie. I got nowhere until I threatened and wrote up a lemon law claim, after which the dealership quickly got the regional rep to agree to a buyback. The operative factor in my (and your) favor is that a used car with a lemon law claim on its record is tainted and virtually unsalable by the dealer, even at auction. In my case, I got a new car in an even-Stephen swap, and the dealer got to resell my old car to an unsuspecting new owner at used market price. All ended well for me and the dealer, but probably not for the second owner who inherited my oil guzzler. Unfortunately, your having had your car independently serviced weakens your bargaining leverage, but a threatened lemon law filing may be your best weapon. Good luck.
As expected, VCNA got back to me saying 1.5 quarts per 4500 miles is normal and the case is closed. I asked the customer service rep to find out what they consider normal consumption. I still dont think this is right/normal at all! What could/should I do next? Even my 12 year old Saab with 180K miles doesn't have this consumption. If I do look into lemon law, how do I go about this?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The details of automotive lemon law claims are governed by state law and therefore vary from state to state. You can do your own research on-line or, if you have neither the time nor inclination to pursue the matter yourself, there are lawyers who will handle your claim for you for a handsome fee. In my case, I wrote up the claim myself, took it to the owner of my dealership, with whom I was on a first-name basis, and told him we could settle the matter either the easy way or the hard way. He and VCNA caved immediately. Sometimes just the threat of a filing will do the job. However, each case is different, and yours may well be weakened by the age, mileage, and service history of your vehicle.
What was the content of the letter, like what did it talk about?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
For me. Volvo did nothing to correct my satisfaction. According to TJ29871, they recognize car has an oil consumption issues, I had it tested which determined 1.5 qts burned per 4500 miles. They said this was normal. This doesn't sound normal at all. So I asked them "well then please tell me what you consider normal?" There must be a determined value of normal and abnormal oil consumption. So they said they would get back to me. It's been 2 weeks. Who should I pursue for a better resolution - - dealer, VCNA, or both?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Update - - I ended up going to a different dealership that was light years better than the first. The way they did the oil consumption test was they changed my oil, had me come back in 1,000 miles. Here they drained and weighed it. And determined it was consuming at a high rate. So the service advisor opened a case with VCNA, and submitted a whole stack of documents, including the maintenance records, and a brief description of our family's Volvo ownership. (The first dealership didn't do this). By the end of the following day, VCNA has agreed to offer goodwill assistance and pay for 100% of the repairs: piston ring replacement. Car is at 80K miles, running full synthetic and consuming 1qt per 1K miles or so. So just as the advice I got from others on here, persistence is key.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Good! I'm glad to hear that. I'll research what that procedure involves.

I went to mine yesterday and explained everything. The manager was very courteous but they hadn't done this before so I don't think they knew what I was talking about. They changed the oil and basically told me to not come until I see the "Low Oil" light comes on at which point they'd open a case with Volvo.

So today in the morning before I started my car checked the dipstick and saw that the level was about an inch over the top hash mark. That was upsetting - they had overfilled the oil, in which case it would've taken forever for the "light" to come on. I'm bringing the car back to them so they can drain it to the exact level.
This car has a low oil pressure light, but no low oil LEVEL warning. By the time you get the oil pressure light, your engine could possibly be done with because of starvation, at which point VCNA its your fault. So no, thats wrong.

I would suggest going to a different dealer if possible, so the oil consumption test is done right. Change your oil (full synthetic). Then 1,000 miles later, they need to drain the oil and weigh it. For us, it only took one round of that to determine the high consumption rate. I spoke with my service advisor today, who said as part of the testing/diagnostics, the Volvo tech rep had them dig deep in/take apart a decent amount. So when I asked if I could pick up the car and schedule this for the following week, she said the car is already disassembled, and parts are on their way.
The key is persistence. And the key is to show that you are committed to dealer maintenance.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just a thought for everyone who may have dealt with this, or will. My '12 S60 is underogoing having it's engine rebuilt/piston rings replaced (goodwill assistance with VCNA). After talking to my service adviser, I decided to replace the timing belt (out of pocket). The car is at 82K miles, and the manufacturer recommends it be replaced at 120K miles. For the piston ring job, they remove the timing belt anyways (as in the labor hours are included in the piston ring job). So I chose to pay for a new timing belt kit (~$200) so that way I am not having to go back to do this job in 40K miles and pay for labor hours for it.
With that in mind, does anyone else have suggestions on parts that get re-installed/reused when doing this engine rebuild, and which of those parts are worth paying for (so I dont have to deal with this anytime soon). ?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Update: Not a good one. After having the piston rings replaced in September/3k miles ago. The car is showing low oil level on the dipstick. The oil consumption problem may still exist.
Suggestions on how to go about this next? (Other than get it back to the dealer to diagnose the problem still exists).
Its a 2012 S60 T5 with 85K miles (no extended warranty). Do I just push for a brand new engine?
Can I push for them to replace my car with a 2013 (non defective MY). Buy back?

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I had a dealer-serviced, still under warranty Volvo with 18K miles on the odometer and documented oil consumption of 1 quart per 3000 miles, essentially the same as yours. VCNA initially refused to do anything and told me that oil consumption of one quart per 1000 miles was "normal", which was clearly a baldfaced lie. I got nowhere until I threatened and wrote up a lemon law claim, after which the dealership quickly got the regional rep to agree to a buyback. The operative factor in my (and your) favor is that a used car with a lemon law claim on its record is tainted and virtually unsalable by the dealer, even at auction. In my case, I got a new car in an even-Stephen swap, and the dealer got to resell my old car to an unsuspecting new owner at used market price. All ended well for me and the dealer, but probably not for the second owner who inherited my oil guzzler. Unfortunately, your having had your car independently serviced weakens your bargaining leverage, but a threatened lemon law filing may be your best weapon. Good luck.
Piston rings replaced but consumption still happening.
Can I still do a lemon law case even if the car is out of warranty (I am at 85K miles)?

I assume that this ongoing oil consumption is doing damage to other systems such as the catalytic converter, PCV, etc. Could I make a claim regarding this?

Dealer had me pay for plugs (as they were ashy). I had paid for them to be replaced just 2,000 miles before the piston ring job was done). (and belts)Can I get VCNA to cover this?

From this point on, can I get VCNA to cover the ongoing oil consumption tests (oil changes) and diagnostic costs?

This is getting "old"/frustrating.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
UPDATE: Bad news is in. Piston ring job done a few thousand miles ago did not solve the oil consumption issue. The car was 1-3/4 quart low on oil. Volvo says it needs a new engine. We are waiting for next week to see if/how it will be covered by VCNA.
Is it reasonable to talk to them about getting a comparable replacement (except a '13 model year without the consumption issue). Seems engine replacement would be the value of the car. Any other suggestions?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.