SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is one of many '12 S60 T5 oil consumption threads.
Our car is one of the earlier produced ones, that falls in the VIN range specified by TJ29871. Car was dealer serviced until 52,500, then at a Volvo independent shop for the following two oil changes/factory scheduled services. It is due soon for the 75,000 service. Always had full synthetic oil.

We checked the oil level yesterday and the dipstick showed nothing, it was 1.5 quart short after 5k miles or so since the last oil change. So not as bad as others have experienced but this is the beginning of the end based on what people have written on here.

I spoke with the dealer Volvo of Palo Alto (California). The service director told me he pretty much wouldn't be able to help with getting goodwill assistance from Volvo because the car hasn't been seen by them in about 1yr4months. So just because I did the last 2 services at a Volvo independent shop (I have the records), and the car is out of warranty (though this is clearly a known issue/mfctr defect), I'm screwed. They told me it would start with me bringing the car into the dealer every 1500 miles or so for a period of 6 months for them to diagnose there is a consumption issue, and then go from there.

Some things that come to mind are the "Right to Repair" act and a mention on these forums of a California class action lawsuit regarding this issue.

Does anyone have any experience, or advice how to go about this? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You are not SoL, and it's not unreasonable to bring it in to the dealer more often to check it more often for the next few thousand miles - just don't let them talk you into any engine work other than testing (compression etc.)
Also, make it clear that a future relationship for maintenance etc depends on a successful and relatively painless resolution of this known issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Call VCNA and open a case.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Member Troach had recent success in a very similar situation. Search his user name or just browse through recent threads regarding the '12 T5 consumption issue. If his case is any indication, there is hope for you

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I've been following the posts closely. The summary seems to be: if you have had all services done at dealer (out of warranty) then Volvo seems to cooperate/is willing to help. Otherwise (like me--who has taken the car to a Volvo independent shop), they say "sucks to be you." So what do I say/how do I plead my case that this gets effectively diagnosed and Volvo offers goodwill assistance.
Seems like Volvo needs to step up to the plate and stand behind their product, instead of waiting for a lawsuit or mandatory recall before they extend help to affected vehicles/owners. (Kind of like they were forced to with the GM-sourced transmission on the early XC90 T6 AWD).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, I've been following the posts closely. The summary seems to be: if you have had all services done at dealer (out of warranty) then Volvo seems to cooperate/is willing to help. Otherwise (like me--who has taken the car to a Volvo independent shop), they say "sucks to be you." So what do I say/how do I plead my case that this gets effectively diagnosed and Volvo offers goodwill assistance.
Seems like Volvo needs to step up to the plate and stand behind their product, instead of waiting for a lawsuit or mandatory recall before they extend help to affected vehicles/owners. (Kind of like they were forced to with the GM-sourced transmission on the early XC90 T6 AWD).
It helps your case but Volvo will still do the right thing. You took it to Volvo as soon as you noticed it was burning oil I assume? I didn't. Also my engine was toast by the time they got it because of some extenuating circumstances.

What is it that your dealer wants to do? Have they diagnosed the issue?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Is 1 quart every 3300 miles really that bad?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Is 1 quart every 3300 miles really that bad?
When a "good" engine (which most of them are) burns no measurable amount of oil, then yes, that is very bad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Correct, but just because it falls in the VIN range does not necessarily mean you will have oil consumption, and doesn't mean just because it is affected by the TJ, they will replace your engine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When a "good" engine (which most of them are) burns no measurable amount of oil, then yes, that is very bad.
Mine burns no oil with the new engine and older turbo. There are many reasons a car can burn oil. It needs to be properly diagnosed.

As others say, around 120k miles, the turbo's go. When mine goes, I will get it rebuilt. After a while, you just need to replace seals on things. I had a Nissan Maxima with over 320k miles. It did not burn a lick of oil. There was no turbo, but any chance I did major work on the top, front, or back of the motor, I replaced every possible seal and part that made sense (timing chain was only done once, but the water pump was done several times). These cars should be the same exact way. No one ever expects piston rings to wear out if a car is properly maintained and taken care of.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Correct, but just because it falls in the VIN range does not necessarily mean you will have oil consumption, and doesn't mean just because it is affected by the TJ, they will replace your engine.
They wouldn't do engines first anyway. Usually they do the piston rings ($5k job) and when that does not work, then they replace the engine ($12k job). Car needs to be diagnosed first which Volvo won't cover unless they decide to do Goodwill. Some dealers will diagnose for free (those that are familiar with this issue because they know how much $$$ is involved for their parts and service dept). Ones that know nothing about this say you need to pay for diagnostics first and go from there.

Some people have it easier than others in order to get Volvo to Goodwill.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Volvo of Palo Alto changed the oil and said to come back every 2K miles for them to check levels.

The service advisor told me word for word "no engine is made perfect, and some oil consumption is normal. I burn a quart every 2500 in my Volvo and thats totally normal"
They won't open a case with Volvo until they have diagnosed the issue.

I call complete BS!? Any advice on what to do if thats the response I'm getting?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Volvo of Palo Alto changed the oil and said to come back every 2K miles for them to check levels.

The service advisor told me word for word "no engine is made perfect, and some oil consumption is normal. I burn a quart every 2500 in my Volvo and thats totally normal"
They won't open a case with Volvo until they have diagnosed the issue.

I call complete BS!? Any advice on what to do if thats the response I'm getting?
For now I'd say play along and take it back in 2000 miles. Let them document the oil consumption.
One quart in 2500 miles is too much and is a bunch BS in my opinion. I would not make a big deal of it, yet. Wait till they verify how much it's burning then hold your ground and demand they fix it if it's abnormal.
From all I've seen I have no reason to think they wont fix it. They might need a polite but firm push in some cases.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.