SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used to own a 2010 Chrysler 300. It had dual fuel pumps. One each under each rear seat. That's right inside the car. You would access the fuel pumps by removing the rear seats. I overfilled one time and it ruptured a seal in one of the fuel pumps. Fuel leaked out and caused fumes in the car. Took a long while to get that fuel smell out of the car. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I used to own a 2010 Chrysler 300. It had dual fuel pumps. One each under each rear seat. That's right inside the car. You would access the fuel pumps by removing the rear seats. I overfilled one time and it ruptured a seal in one of the fuel pumps. Fuel leaked out and caused fumes in the car. Took a long while to get that fuel smell out of the car. Lesson learned.
I think I better stop overfilling. Even during hurricane season, an extra 7/10 of a gallon does not make that much difference in the great scheme of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here in the UK, like Finland above, filling your own car is standard. Folk still get annoyed at waiting in line when it is busy so I dont think attended servcie would last long if ever someone attempted to bring it back.
I can't remember the last time I found an attended fill in the UK. They still exist in places in France and Spain.

The totally unmanned sites (just the pump stands) are also beginning to arrive here. You just turn up, punch your credit card into the machine and refuel. No attendants, no store, cafe etc. Often associated with a nearby supermarket (like Asda the UK version of Walmart for example).

I can't let the price of fuel go by without comment. We are currently paying £1.45 per litre for premium 97/99 octane petrol here. That 15 gallon US tank fill mentioned further up the thread would cost you about $112 at UK prices !!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in PA and loathe the times when I am forced to get gas in NJ. I have a friend who was a manager at a grocery store and his first day on the job, he had to join another manager so there was a witness while the other manager fired someone. Why was he fired? Well, it was a grocery store with a gas station and they fired the attendant for being, well, a little too creative with himself in making the time go by in that booth. Its not fair but thats how I picture all gas station attendants.

On a related note, paid 2.79 a gallon thanks to the lovely people at the Willow Grove Giant. I was never so happy, almost everywhere else is over 4 dollars.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I tipped when I first moved here. The attendant laughed and wouldn't keep it. He said it's common for out of staters to tip. Good people turn it down, some will take it. You could say the same thing about people that help old people load groceries. There is no expectation, but it will still happen. That doesn't mean its common.

As for gas stations, I'll second Costco. NJ law prevents any membership from limiting gas. So you don't need to be a Costco member. They're one of the cheapest to start with, but you also get Top Tier Gas. They're fast and I have never had an issue with spilling on my car. I have had an issue spilling gas all over a 5gal can, but that was because it didn't auto shutoff and the attendant wasn't looking. Some stations will make you pump your own into cans, I prefer those places for that reason.
Ok so I was right then.... Out of State People do "Tip" figuring it's customary or social norms. While natives realize it's not necessary. Although according to another poster, some locals do too sporadically.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Costco, hands down. Focused and consistently awake attendants, waving cars over to shorter lines, snappy, efficient, willing to chat if there aren't cars backed up. The fact that Costco gas is Top Tier certified is a bonus.
I do the same thing. Live in Northern Liberties and can get over the Ben Franklin to the Cherry Hill Costco in 11–12 minutes. Have to pay $5 to get back home but usually need to pick up some grocery items too that more than offset that Cost.

I work up in Ewing so occasionally will swing by the Lawrenceville Costco.
If the attendants ever spilled gas on my car, I never detected it, and I’ve been going there almost exclusively for years.

Reactions: Moosemobile

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
550 Posts
Lived in NJ all my life (67years). Never saw any gas attendant ever get tipped. Not the custom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do the same thing. Live in Northern Liberties and can get over the Ben Franklin to the Cherry Hill Costco in 11–12 minutes. Have to pay $5 to get back home but usually need to pick up some grocery items too that more than offset that Cost.

I work up in Ewing so occasionally will swing by the Lawrenceville Costco.
If the attendants ever spilled gas on my car, I never detected it, and I’ve been going there almost exclusively for years.
Global Gas (sounds generic but what the heck) near me is consistently 30-40 cheaper than everywhere else. I am in W Mt Airy and there is one in Lafayette Hill but I think there is another one in like Nicetown. Probably not a big a deal to drive there, other than the possibly being murdered part.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
550 Posts
Just curious. I live in NJ. Here, anyone, including non-members, can buy gas from Costco, although only VISA or ATM payment is accepted. This is mandate by NJ. I buy Costco's 94 octane gas, exclusively, which is typically at least 50 cents a gallon less than Sunoco's premium gas of the same octane.

For people from others states, can non-members buy gas at Costco?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just curious. I live in NJ. Here, anyone, including non-members, can buy gas from Costco, although only VISA or ATM payment is accepted. This is mandate by NJ. I buy Costco's 94 octane gas, exclusively, which is typically at least 50 cents a gallon less than Sunoco's premium gas of the same octane.

For people from others states, can non-members buy gas at Costco?
For California that applies to alcohol and prescriptions, but not gas. You can use a Costco Cash Card that a member has to purchase for you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Reactions: Moosemobile

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Ok so I was right then.... Out of State People do "Tip" figuring it's customary or social norms. While natives realize it's not necessary. Although according to another poster, some locals do too sporadically.
Had to come back just to post that you were right huh? It's that important to you.

I think I better stop overfilling.
Yes, overfilling is not good for the evap canister.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thank you Tech. I have no idea what an evap canister is. But I certainly don’t want to do anything to harm my Volvos. Or my truck for that matter.

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
550 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ok... As a 23 year resident of NJ let me first answer OP's question:

I find that the attendants are generally more attentive at the larger gas stations like BP, Shell, Valero, Mobil. The Wawa/Quickcheck/Sunoco ones are very much hit or miss. Delta and other locals are usually a crapshoot. This is just a general observation though and it mostly depends on the attendant rather than brand. Quality of the gas itself though - definitely a thing. I stay away from the off-brand ones unless in an emergency.

Now for tipping the attendants. There is no expectation, nor is it customary. Personally I'd only tip if the attendant did something beyond pumping gas, like cleaning my windows (which happens very occasionally).

Back to OP - I've yet to have anyone yell at me for pumping my own gas (not possible at GSP/Turnpike stations) if I asked for permission first. They're generally ok with it because you're freeing them up to attend other cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any idea why they have rules like that?

They have the rule exactly to avoid what the Wawa idiot is doing. The intent is to recover fumes coming out of the tank as fuel enters it ..NJ gas nozzles have an accordion sleeve that seals the nozzle to the filler neck so fumes do not escape. It also prevents splattering. Nozzles EVERYWHERE are supposed to shut off automatically when the gas reaches it, and pulling the nozzle out slowly should avoid spillage from the nozzle, So if Wawa is spilling gas they are doing EVERYTHING wrong.
Report them to the State.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi everyone, this post is for people in NJ. What do you guys do when you get gas here? Since you can’t pump it yourself. Recently I went to a Wawa and I was hovering over the guy pumping the gas and he still spilled gas on the side of my car. This is unbelievable. Honestly most of this gas station attendants are buffoons who don’t know how to pump gas. I always hover over them and they still spill gas on the car. Input would be appreciated.
Costco Gas has the most effecent operation and the only have 2 grades of gas. Makes it difficult to screw up. They have never asked me for my membership card ever. Payment is credit card only.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I think the attendant pumping gas would be there even if he were at a self service station. All Gas stations have someone manning the place. Although, if you want efficiency, I imagine you require multiple gas pumping attendants, instead of the sole individual working "checkout" or monitoring things.

I'm pretty sure the people pumping your gas expect a tip. So this definitely increases costs to consumers. I pumped my own gas yesterday (Premium) into the 17 Gallon Tank of my S60.
I was nearly empty (ya I got lazy) and needed 16.3 or 16.5 gallons. Came to about $58 @ 3.60 / gallon for premium.

Throwing on another $3-5 bucks just empties your wallet faster to the already expensive fuel prices.
Are you serious? I live in New York and have literally NEVER seen "an attendant" at a gas station or convenience store.

Also, I frequently gas up in New Jersey on the way to KEWR and again have literally NEVER tipped the refueler. Nor has one ever made me feel I was supposed to tip.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
Had to come back just to post that you were right huh? It's that important to you.
Well I mean out of towners not knowing local customs rend to get fleeced. Par for course.

Was shocked when people claimed it never happens / happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone, this post is for people in NJ. What do you guys do when you get gas here? Since you can’t pump it yourself. Recently I went to a Wawa and I was hovering over the guy pumping the gas and he still spilled gas on the side of my car. This is unbelievable. Honestly most of this gas station attendants are buffoons who don’t know how to pump gas. I always hover over them and they still spill gas on the car. Input would be appreciated.
I live in Wayne and go to a station where they don't stop me from pumping my own gas. When I can't go there, I stay by the nozzle and when it clicks off I take it out and replace it in the pump myself. Be polite and friendly and have your cash or card out where they can see it and they'll appreciate you making their job easier.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts