SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this post is for people in NJ. What do you guys do when you get gas here? Since you can’t pump it yourself. Recently I went to a Wawa and I was hovering over the guy pumping the gas and he still spilled gas on the side of my car. This is unbelievable. Honestly most of this gas station attendants are buffoons who don’t know how to pump gas. I always hover over them and they still spill gas on the car. Input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had no idea they were places in the US where you could not pump your own gas. Why is this? I don’t remember anyone else ever pumping my gas since the 1960s. But I’ll have to admit I have never driven in New Jersey. Have only flown in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Besides NJ, I believe there are at least parts of Oregon where the same is true.

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
Any idea why they have rules like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was related to safety - been that way forever in NJ and OR.

They'll point to people filling up trash bags with gas or driving off with the hose attached - I don't know if that stuff really happens or they're just "fail blog" videos on social media.

My advice to OP is to find a station you trust and go with that one - some attendants take more care than others. I know the stations around where my family lives in NJ that are decent.

Reactions: EricJRW

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I thought NJ has that law to ensure that people with disabilities can get gas at any gas station if they can't pump their own gas.
If only people could be so altruistic. The law exists because capitalism can be a veritable force.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If only people could be so altruistic. The law exists because capitalism can be a veritable force.
that law has nothing to do with the free market system . Since you mentioned the word" capitalism "....and this post wasn't removed......insert the word "totalitarianism "......
because that is exactly what it is..

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Right, because having more employees than anyone else in the industry is what capitalist are always looking for...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi everyone, this post is for people in NJ. What do you guys do when you get gas here? Since you can’t pump it yourself. Recently I went to a Wawa and I was hovering over the guy pumping the gas and he still spilled gas on the side of my car. This is unbelievable. Honestly most of this gas station attendants are buffoons who don’t know how to pump gas. I always hover over them and they still spill gas on the car. Input would be appreciated.
I just ask them to fill it and get on with my life.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I remember when there was no such thing as pump your own gas ( and when you'd get a souvenir glass or steak knife with a fill up).

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 MOM
35 Posts
The law in NJ has been there forever now, it has multiple reasons of being there one of the biggest is that is still creating jobs for people believe it or not. Personally I always make sure I have a full tank before hitting the NJ state lines I don't trust anyone but myself to pump gas.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
that law has nothing to do with the free market system . Since you mentioned the word" capitalism "....and this post wasn't removed......insert the word "totalitarianism "......
because that is exactly what it is..
The law exists because gas station owners paid lobbyists to push state legislators to pass this law (on the guise of "fire safety") due to a gas station owner charging less for gas for drivers willing to do self-service.

So yes, capitalism and politics at its finest.

Right, because having more employees than anyone else in the industry is what capitalist are always looking for...
It is when you have a bottom line you want to protect at all costs. Like losing profits to the guy taking your business by charging less. Having to pay for employees doesn't matter when it's a "level" playing field and everyone else has to as well. Capitalism is just as much "free to make as much money as you want" as it is "stuff it to the other guy as well."

As far as why the law still exists today, yes, that is all about the state deciding that having a filled labor pool of "skilled" (I use that in the most sarcastic sense) workers is good for the economy. However, the initial reasons for the law are still rooted entirely in what I previously noted.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I think the attendant pumping gas would be there even if he were at a self service station. All Gas stations have someone manning the place. Although, if you want efficiency, I imagine you require multiple gas pumping attendants, instead of the sole individual working "checkout" or monitoring things.

I'm pretty sure the people pumping your gas expect a tip. So this definitely increases costs to consumers. I pumped my own gas yesterday (Premium) into the 17 Gallon Tank of my S60.
I was nearly empty (ya I got lazy) and needed 16.3 or 16.5 gallons. Came to about $58 @ 3.60 / gallon for premium.

Throwing on another $3-5 bucks just empties your wallet faster to the already expensive fuel prices.

Reactions: catfish93

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I think the attendant pumping gas would be there even if he were at a self service station. All Gas stations have someone manning the place. Although, if you want efficiency, I imagine you require multiple gas pumping attendants, instead of the sole individual working "checkout" or monitoring things.

I'm pretty sure the people pumping your gas expect a tip. So this definitely increases costs to consumers. I pumped my own gas yesterday (Premium) into the 17 Gallon Tank of my S60.
I was nearly empty (ya I got lazy) and needed 16.3 or 16.5 gallons. Came to about $58 @ 3.60 / gallon for premium.

Throwing on another $3-5 bucks just empties your wallet faster to the already expensive fuel prices.
In NJ, they are not tipped as they are a required service. They, unlike waitstaff, also get paid at least minimum wage.

The gas prices in NJ are actually not bad considering the state tax being something north of 50¢/gal, double that of what we pay in DE. And we don't pay for service here. We're about ten cents or so lower although it goes up to parity the closer you get to the NJ border.

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
In NJ, they are not tipped as they are a required service. They, unlike waitstaff, also get paid at least minimum wage.
I am sure while there's "no requirement to tip", they expect a tip. Out of towners and people alike feel the social pressure of our ad naseum tip culture. These days, everyone expects a tip, even for sh*t service.

1. Go out to eat...Waiter Sucks and Never Around... Food Disgusting....You're looked at as if a tip is still mandatory
2. Heck some restaurants even tack on a mandatory 18-20% gratuity no matter the service.
3. Thinking of leaving 15-20%? You're a cheapskate these days in the eyes of the entitlement.

4. Door Man at some fancy hotel holds door - Tip
5. Take a Taxi at inflated mileage rates - Tip.

America is to the point where Tip's are no longer "earned" but simply "expected" for showing up.

I wouldn't put it past these attendants to give you a stink eye for not tipping....But I could be wrong.

The gas prices in NJ are actually not bad considering the state tax being something north of 50¢/gal, double that of what we pay in DE. And we don't pay for service here. We're about ten cents or so lower although it goes up to parity the closer you get to the NJ border.
State taxes suck on fuel prices. But even if states eliminated the tax, gas stations wouldn't lower their prices to compensate. Always SOME reason why we're playing highly inflated fuel costs.

The day green energy adequately replaces ICE vehicles to the tune of distance and charging times, will be a momentous occasion for all.

Reactions: catfish93

·
Registered
14,155 Posts
I wouldn't put it past these attendants to give you a stink eye for not tipping....But I could be wrong.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from but I've never seen someone tip an attendant for gas in NJ or OR and I've visited both places pretty regularly.

Please don't repeat your rant, it's still above if anybody wants to read it, lol.

Reactions: Tech

·
Registered
8,418 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting this from but I've never seen someone tip an attendant for gas in NJ or OR and I've visited both places pretty regularly.

Please don't repeat your rant, it's still above if anybody wants to read it, lol.
No need to repeat. America is Tip Culture Crazy. Most gas stations here are self service now, but there use to be a larger chain that had attendants to pump gas for you. Tip "Expected".

Maybe not being optional eliminates the "social pressure" for tipping in New Jersey. But I would bet dollars to donuts out of town people probably tip.

I've been to New Jersey, but not in a long time, so maybe I'm off base here.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
No need to repeat. America is Tip Culture Crazy. Most gas stations here are self service now, but there use to be a larger chain that had attendants to pump gas for you. Tip "Expected".

Maybe not being optional eliminates the "social pressure" for tipping in New Jersey. But I would bet dollars to donuts out of town people probably tip.

I've been to New Jersey, but not in a long time, so maybe I'm off base here.
Again, this isn't a service or part of the "service industry" (waitstaff, stylists, barbers, etc.) in NJ; It's an official employment position codified by state law. In essence, a gas attendant attending to your car is tantamount to you heading to city hall and using a personal teller to pay your city property taxes.

If others from out of state do tip, then I haven't seen it personally, but that is my experience and limited to my extent of interactions there.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts