SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner before me lived down by the shore so there is some oxidation and green crap on my engine. This is really starting to annoy me so I want to get it off with the best solution. What would be the best product to use and method to get this crap off? Also, I was wondering if I should use a small brush or something to scrub it off and/or loosen it up? Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Getting crap off engine? (bpray9223)

I want to know as well. I see people cleaning engines with degreaser and a water hose, but I dont want to hurt electornics or belt and hoses. Could I go get some of the better engine cleaners and just spray the engine down after spraying on?

·
Registered
63,542 Posts

Spray on major degreaser, stiff wire brush, hose off. Repeat if necessary

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Getting crap off engine? (JRL)

There is no replacement for a little elbow grease. I would recommend on a cool or cold engine! Simple Green in a concentrated form or Gunk Engine Foam. Then spray generously all over avoid major electrical areas and fuse boxes in excess let sit for 5 - 10 minutes and then where needed scrub the really bad areas with a nylon stiff bristle brush, rinse with a fine spray/mist then let dry, then if you chose to do so a rubber protectant on hoses, covers and lines or a specific engine dressing to really set it off and you're done.
http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

As JRL stated though you may need a wire brush for the really bad areas just use caution when selecting the type of metal brush you are using. You would not want to use say a stainless steel wire brush on aluminum components = scratches!

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
The '94 850 I just purchased has oil all up under the spark plug cover...it's been there for a while. The P.O. knew nothing about the oil filler cap gasket needing replacing so I'd say this is the original one on there (190K miles). Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning this area up really good? Take out the plugs, and plug the holes somehow and then use degreaser and spray it off?

·
Registered
431 Posts

About twice a year I ;
1- spray the engine bay down with Simple Green
2- hose it down with warm hose water. Don't use a power washer.
3- spray the engine bay down with Armor All/ Son of a Gun/etc.

For the frist time though, personally I would just use a soft brush. Even a toothbrush to get the tight areas.

Madeinjapan, if the backside of the cover is dirty, just clean if off and put it back. If the actual head under the cover is dirty, does it look like water will drain easily off the head with the cover removed? Then you can do 1 and 2, but I wouldn't do 3 under the cover.

If water won't easily run off the head, you can still spry some degreaser, then wipre if off with a rag, even a wet rag. You might need to repeat this a couple times to really look good, but you don't want water sitting there.

And FWIW, I do 1-3 on my R and have never had a problem. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
Thanks man...I think I'll use paper towels to try to soak everything up to begin with, then use the degreaser spray and wipe it up rather than spray it up...gonna need to buy a pack of shop rags. I think I have an old tooth brush I can use.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just did the same to mine yesterday MIJ.
I bought a roll of shop towels, and some engine degreaser. I took off the coil packs and plugs. I put my old plugs back into the holes and tightened them down. Just in case the degreaser reacted with the plugs, I did not want to ruin my new ones.

I then liberally sprayed the area down with degreaser and let it soak for 10 minutes. Then I took a shop vac and sucked out the excess cleaner and wiped it down with the shop towels. Rinsed it all off with the hose and vacuumed it out again and dried it with the towels.

It looks better and I feel better about it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.