SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 S60R only came with one key and an aftermarket keyless entry FOB. Whats the best way to go about getting a backup key? Do they need to be chipped?

·
Registered
853 Posts
It's a big deal. No easy or cheap way out according to my research. Which was extensive! The additional key has to be programmed at either a dealer or a lockshop that has the software. I could not find a cheap source to get it done. I am on a waiting list at a lockshop company which will do it cheaper than the dealer when he has about 10 requests so he can spread out the cost of the software to the people waiting. I have waited a year for this to happen. the locksmith said about $250 the dealer said $400. this blows! Do not loose your key:mad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just for a key.
go to ebay and search for "volvo uncut key"
You will see a lot of cheep empty uncut keys about $5.
They are without transponders but with place to insert it.
then search for "volvo megamos id 48 transponder"
Price is almost the same $3-5
So for $10 you will get new unprogrammed uncut key.
+ price to cut it for your car at the locksmith
+ price to program it to the car (beware that dealer may refuse programming this key saying that only originals are supported)

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I had an Idea.. could I just install an aftermarket alarm that comes with a new key fob and has options like remote start and bypass this whole Volvo replacement thing.? Seems like 400 bucks better spent in my opinion. I have a key, just need a remote and I would prefer it not be a flip key anyway. I HATED THE ONE THE ONE FRO AUDI.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Remote start needs the key to be left in the car (transponder).
Without that car won't start.
That is security breach.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes. It will for the doors. As for trunk it depends on an aftermarket alarm.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
77 Posts
For a fob you can try to find set of rear view mirror+fob(or 2 fobs if you are lucky) at the junkyard.
For those that does not have any fobs just install this set. It should be from the same MY car.
Also fob info can be transferred from donor mirror to the original one.
PM me with details about your car and I will answer what you need to find.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts