SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a good and proven to work just as well alternative to the Genuine Volvo spark plugs? Trying to save money while doing Stage 0. From what I know, its best to use OEM when it comes to engine stuff (obviously). I just curious to see whats out there. I know some of you tried Denso and NGK.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4877/113555-volvo-spark-plug-set-turbo

·
Registered
407 Posts
i'm all about saving money but for something as important as spark plugs i'd just stick with oem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Save money by buying Mahle oil filters in bulk from FCP/IPD/whatever and oil from Wal-Mart, and Bosch coils instead of Volvo... Everything else there's really no point.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Volvo plugs work the best on a stock car.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
"Trying to save money.." and R ownership are mutually exclusive.

The plugs aren't that expensive considering how long they are in your car between intervals. Sorry you got a 47k car for 6k and now realize it needs 2k in service. Service it right and it will treat you right.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
i'm all about saving money but for something as important as spark plugs i'd just stick with oem

+1

·
Registered
407 Posts
well the lifetime warranty is worth the extra $10 for oem in this case.

·
Registered
407 Posts
over the bosch coils that is

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Do you guys not realize the oem plugs are made by bosch? All this 'oem only' nonsense on this board is maddening sometimes.
Yes, and the Bosch pn is FR7MPP10 but unless you are buying from a dealer you can usually find the Volvo blue box set for just about the same cost as getting 5 bosch.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Oem all the way. Do not cheap out on critical engine components.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Been running Champion with OE spec gap for about 1.5k miles.I do plan to go back to OEM or Bosch this Summer but noticed no difference from the Fomoco(OEM?) labeled plugs I removed. I use 87 octane(R+M) and drive normally,rarely turning the engine over 3.5k. Car went nearly 500 mostly hwy miles on a tank of gas a few weeks ago.IMO it depends on the quality of gas,how you drive,the load the engine is pulling,ambient temp and even the altitude you drive at.