SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I'm in the market for a 2019 XC90 R-Design.

I've found one that has the options I want.

No air suspension and no 22 inch wheels or the fancy audio system.

I'm ok with that.

My #1 concern is as I've read thru this forum that the reliability of these things is questionable at best.

I come from Lexus, Mercedes, etc...and I've been ok with their vehicles.

What are your guys thoughts on the XC90 Reliability overall?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
If you know how to use your smartphone then you should be ok. Sensus which is the control center on the Volvo requires that you are comfortable in moving through various screens and making choices. Otherwise the cars have been pretty solid players.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I’m on my second SPA vehicle. I did have issues with my 2016 XC90, but all were resolved under warranty. My only complaint of these vehicles is the brakes. Plan on rear pads every 20-25,000miles. I also have had rotors replaced under warranty due to them being warped. The 2019’s have faster processors for sensus, and its pretty snappy now. I put high miles on my cars (25,000-30,00miles a year) and have had no issues that would make me say I’d never buy another Volvo again. My $.02.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Old posts of early models are not applicable now. There is not many complains about MY2018 2019 cars.

I only have brakes and hybrid cooling thermostat replaced in early months of one year ownership, in a couple of dealer visit. It is no hassle to me.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Our family have multiple Mercedes in the past growing up. My parent switched to Lexus 15 years ago due to the problems. As such, I have only purchased Lexus since being able to drive. Coming from Lexus I do have to say our 2018 XC90 has had no issues in the 12,000 miles on the clock. It was purchased in 2018. The only difference between Volvo and Lexus that you might have to get used to is dealer customer Service. As I am sure you know Lexus dealers have free breakfast in the AM, lunch in afternoon, and light snacks/ fresh baked goods for dinner. Coffee Barista or those expensive Italian espresso machines. Volvo dealers have vending machine style snacks and Kurig coffee machines. Also Volvo dealers seem to have a shortage of loaners, vs Lexus which will private shuttle you around or pull a new car off the lot and make it a loaner for you. They also have called and paid us back for a Taxi to get back to the dealer when the shuttle was busy. Also Lexus dealers seem to want to build a relationship with you and the service advisor greets you and even remembers you, your family, and even your parents! Also my sales person and finance person still says hi if we cross pass at the dealer! Also the free hand wash car washes at lexus, that you can get anytime the dealer is open. Makes you feel special.

Other than that no issues on our 2018. Volvo seems to have higher material quality. The XC90 has real metal on the silver trims vs Lexus which uses silver plastic. Also to close out, the difference between dealer quality is negligible as a whole picture, since I have not had to go outside of the 10k service. IE 1 a year. Volvo dealers do their duty, respectful and service your car. That is fine with me. Knock on wood it stays like that!

Finally, Volvo cars are generally a better deal than Lexus these days. Our XC90 cost about the same as our RX350, yet the RX350 only fits 5, vs 7 in the XC90. Which is why we chose a XC90 and not a RX350L for a 7 passenger SUV.

(Also most RX350L are configured as 6 seater, which is a deal breaker for us)

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Our family have multiple Mercedes in the past growing up. My parent switched to Lexus 15 years ago due to the problems. As such, I have only purchased Lexus since being able to drive. Coming from Lexus I do have to say our 2018 XC90 has had no issues in the 12,000 miles on the clock. It was purchased in 2018. The only difference between Volvo and Lexus that you might have to get used to is dealer customer Service. As I am sure you know Lexus dealers have free breakfast in the AM, lunch in afternoon, and light snacks/ fresh baked goods for dinner. Coffee Barista or those expensive Italian espresso machines. Volvo dealers have vending machine style snacks and Kurig coffee machines. Also Volvo dealers seem to have a shortage of loaners, vs Lexus which will private shuttle you around or pull a new car off the lot and make it a loaner for you. They also have called and paid us back for a Taxi to get back to the dealer when the shuttle was busy. Also Lexus dealers seem to want to build a relationship with you and the service advisor greets you and even remembers you, your family, and even your parents! Also my sales person and finance person still says hi if we cross pass at the dealer! Also the free hand wash car washes at lexus, that you can get anytime the dealer is open. Makes you feel special.

Other than that no issues on our 2018. Volvo seems to have higher material quality. The XC90 has real metal on the silver trims vs Lexus which uses silver plastic. Also to close out, the difference between dealer quality is negligible as a whole picture, since I have not had to go outside of the 10k service. IE 1 a year. Volvo dealers do their duty, respectful and service your car. That is fine with me. Knock on wood it stays like that!

Finally, Volvo cars are generally a better deal than Lexus these days. Our XC90 cost about the same as our RX350, yet the RX350 only fits 5, vs 7 in the XC90. Which is why we chose a XC90 and not a RX350L for a 7 passenger SUV.

(Also most RX350L are configured as 6 seater, which is a deal breaker for us)
Well put!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Free meals at the Lexus dealer? Never knew of such things.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Based on user posts here and Volvo acknowledging as such, quality was an issue with MYs 2016-2017. MY 2018 and later seems to have significantly improved quality. No problems on our 2019 so far - and hope it stays that way.

Congrats on choosing Volvo!

·
Registered
321 Posts
We have a 2016 XC90 and liked it so much that we picked up a 2018 V90CC in December. XC90 has about 18k miles on it and the V90 has around 7k (bought it with 3k miles on it). Have had no major issues with either vehicle and both have done long and short trips. The XC90 had some minor stuff very early on, mostly software stuff, that all got worked out pretty quickly. Also, don’t let the stuff you read here scare you too much. Very few people come here to tell you that their car has had no issues. You are getting a concentrated dose of the the relatively small percentage of people with issues. Don’t get me wrong, some people have had significant issues with their car, but I would bet that percentage is in the single digit percentage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The only difference between Volvo and Lexus that you might have to get used to is dealer customer Service. As I am sure you know Lexus dealers have free breakfast in the AM, lunch in afternoon, and light snacks/ fresh baked goods for dinner. Coffee Barista or those expensive Italian espresso machines. Volvo dealers have vending machine style snacks and Kurig coffee machines. Also Volvo dealers seem to have a shortage of loaners, vs Lexus which will private shuttle you around or pull a new car off the lot and make it a loaner for you. They also have called and paid us back for a Taxi to get back to the dealer when the shuttle was busy. Also Lexus dealers seem to want to build a relationship with you and the service advisor greets you and even remembers you, your family, and even your parents! Also my sales person and finance person still says hi if we cross pass at the dealer! Also the free hand wash car washes at lexus, that you can get anytime the dealer is open. Makes you feel special.

Yeah, the Mercedes customer-service amenities at my dealer are a couple classes above Volvo's, but the Lexus dealer is better still!

FWIW, Mercedes dependability is vastly improved from 15-20 years ago. But again, Lexus is better still.

·
Registered
994 Posts
In addition to echoing the above responses...

-You are missing out on the two best features of the XC90...B&W sound system and 4 corner air suspension.

-If you can wait for a 2020 they will have larger battery, longer range, more powerful electric motor, and Android based Sensus replacement system.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
MY2020 doesn't get Android Sensus yet.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhen...on-survey-with-lexus-and-subaru/#6cf31b073cee

“The Volvo brand tied with Lexus as the No. 1-rated luxury brand, in the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index Automobile Report, which was released Tuesday.

“Volvo is the major winner in the luxury-vehicle segment,” the report said. Volvo had an ACSI score of 85 on a 100-point scale, a new high for the Volvo brand and an improvement from a score of 82 last year.”

My 2018 XC90 has been very reliable and so is my S60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
MY2020 doesn't get Android Sensus yet.

Really? My dealer is telling me it's going to be out fall 2019 on the 2020 models. Wrong?

Last week he told me Volvo has now said there will not be an upgrade for Sensus cars (originally they had suggested it would be possible).

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Really? My dealer is telling me it's going to be out fall 2019 on the 2020 models. Wrong?

Last week he told me Volvo has now said there will not be an upgrade for Sensus cars (originally they had suggested it would be possible).
When MY2020 XC90 face lift was announced, nothing was mentioned about Sensus. Would Volvo keep this as a secret until cars are delivered?

From other news source, Android Sensus will come to XC40 first, then SPA cars.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
2016 and 2017 models had a lot of problems. I had two lemons, with tons of problems, leading to a huge loss of money and time. CR and other magazines rated Volvo at the bottom in terms of reliability, accordingly.

The idea that 2018 and 2019 are better is, right now, wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, it might be true. But we don't know, yet. All we have is anecdotes.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
2016 and 2017 models had a lot of problems. I had two lemons, with tons of problems, leading to a huge loss of money and time. CR and other magazines rated Volvo at the bottom in terms of reliability, accordingly.

The idea that 2018 and 2019 are better is, right now, wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, it might be true. But we don't know, yet. All we have is anecdotes.
It can be easily tell from the much fewer complains here compared to two years ago.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It can be easily tell from the much fewer complains here compared to two years ago.

Fair enough. But I was thinking about this... part of the problem is really the uneven quality of the dealer and service network. Most of the problems I encountered were due to the dealer, rather than the car. Small issues became huge problems, like when the service department broke my crystal shifter during a software update, or when they "misplaced" my car for a month (I had to drive over and find it under a pile of snow, unlocked, untouched). I guess I am not sure this qualifies as "lack of reliability" - but every car has problems. Part of the experience is how well can they solve the small stuff that will inevitably happen. Right now, I have zero confidence in Volvo. Corporate has been very adversarial with me since day one, and flat out dishonest during the resulting lawsuit. This does not change overnight, or by model year. Yet, I will be the first one to recognize - this might not be what OP meant with "reliability".

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
Dealer competence and responsiveness from VCUSA is of course the hard part. How they improve is very important. This however varies on individual dealers.

In your particular case, maybe Grecianvolvo could have some advice on how to mitigate the damage between you and Volvo.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
From my experience, what few issues MY16s had, they have been resolved by Volvo under warranty. This is likely the case with MY17s. The issues were mostly software with some hardware and the remainder being manufacturing.

Nonetheless, my experience is that the SPA XC90 is quite reliable - at least on par with Toyota and probably even Lexus.

I would not hesitate to buy a MY19 or MY20. (If it were me, I would order a MY20 (T8). ).

My advice is “don’t have any regrets” as we have read where some have tried to get options added post factory a high cost, not at all or traded early to buy the optioned car that they really wanted. Try out the options that you are giving up to make sure that you are not compromising with what want - but that is common when buying off the lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 40 Posts