SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening members and other interested viewers of this forum. I’ve been a member for 1.5 years and have spent many hours reading the numerous and varied posts here, and have been thoroughly engaged with almost every discussion.

A little background about me: Owner of a 2019 V90 CC Ocean Race (just turned 30,000 miles) (the story of choosing this model will be left for another discussion) - Also the owner of (2) older Saab’s (1990 900S with 267,00 miles and a 1995 9000 CS with 337,000 miles)

As one may assume, my intention for this V90 is to see a bare minimum of 400,000 miles. This leads me to starting a discussion about what seems like truly ridiculous service intervals suggested by Volvo for this, and I assume all of their models.

I fight constantly with my cousin who has spent his life as a machinist (some years in an automotive application building racing engines). We totally disagree when it comes to life expectancies of pure synthetic oil, brake fluid, and transmission fluid for a few things. He surprises me constantly with his opinion that these fluids really should last 10,000-15,000 miles for oil, 5 years or more for brake fluid, and OMG! a lifetime for transmission fluid.

I guess I have different ideas of what the cost/benefit of replacing these fluids much more often than factory schedules suggest really does mean to the lifespan of a vehicle. And I know that I certainly do have a different opinion about what should be accepted as ‘cost of ownership’ for the types of vehicles we drive today. For example, $90 for an oil and filter change at my local independent shop is just about the cheapest insurance I can think of for protecting the engine in this vehicle I enjoy so much.

When the service manager at the dealer I’ve been using for 10-20-30K services said to me the other day that I certainly should never want to change the transmission fluid in my car - EVER - I just about fell over. It was all I could do to keep from starting the biggest argument of my life with him on that statement. It’s bad enough that there is either no filter, or at least no serviceable filter in the transmission, let alone suggesting that the fluid should never be changed, let alone on a regular schedule and fairly often.

It is pretty obvious that Volvo, as well as other manufacturers get some type of credit from the government for stretching out service intervals. I’m not sure if it is because it saves the environment while not disposing of filters and fluids more often. Or if it just a monetary thing by keeping the costs of ownership down. Whichever or whatever it is it most certainly does not give any consideration to the lifespan of the vehicle, assuming that you want to keep your car longer than a few years.

I’b be curious as to what others think about these things. And welcome a discussion of what anyone else may think are appropriate intervals.

I could go on, but let’s start there if anyone is interested in the discussion.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Here is my take.

Full Synthetic will last 10k miles. I think the oil will be more "stressed" during the summer months due to the higher ambient temps. As long as the cooling system in the cars in functioning as designed I do not think the 10k interval using full synthetic is too long. Now if one is towing a trailer on a regular basis then that might change the need for a shorter service interval.

As for the transmission fluid, life time fluid is bogus. Our 2017 XC60 recently had its 40k service and I included a transmission flush in that service. To me this is $$ well spent as a preventative procedure. At 80k I will have the trans fluid changed out again.

Coolant is another fluid I have changed out every 3 yrs/30 miles.

I also think the power steering fluid should be replaced but not sure at what interval. Perhaps at the same interval as the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with napster on all counts. The problem I've run into regarding transmission flushes; no dealer that I've discussed this with will do a transmission flush. My XKR (2004) has a really nasty detail on how it should be performed on a Jaguar V8. It involves getting under the car while engine is running,circumventing a hot exhaust pipe to get the oil temp just right while filling a hole in top side of transmission, along with a number of other little tidbits. I've asked several dealers to do that service with a big "no" in return. So, for me the question is: how important is it to follow procedure correctly when attempting this action. I am assuming that the Volvo flush has it's own issues doing it properly.

I welcome any serious comments or advice one this subject! napster, did you use your Volvo dealer for this service?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Don't forget that engine oil deteriorates on a calendar basis as well as by mileage. The reasonable useful lifetime of oil is a year. On our V90, I change the oil once a year, and it typically has about 6,000 miles on it.

I digress, but I've always been impressed that Jerry Seinfeld replaces the tires on all of his roadworthy Porsches every five years. Some of those tires probably have a few hundred miles on them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
On several websites I've seen the recommendation to replace tires after six years from the date of manufacture. I remember reading several news articles several years ago that urged people to check the date of manufacture on any NEW tire they purchased because, depending on the tire dealer and his turnover, your NEW tire could already be 2 - 3 years old. Don't think I've ever had a tire last that long time wise.

·
Registered
795 Posts
porschie356;7690111[QUOTE said:
]Don't forget that engine oil deteriorates on a calendar basis as well as by mileage
. The reasonable useful lifetime of oil is a year. On our V90, I change the oil once a year, and it typically has about 6,000 miles on it.

I digress, but I've always been impressed that Jerry Seinfeld replaces the tires on all of his roadworthy Porsches every five years. Some of those tires probably have a few hundred miles on them.[/QUOTE]

If you could provide a link from an automotive oil formulator that states this that would be most helpful. Thank you in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
verdeo,

Yes, my local Volvo dealer did the transmission flush. They have a machine (might be the BG one) that they hook into the transmission lines.

·
Registered
442 Posts
verdeo,

Yes, my local Volvo dealer did the transmission flush. They have a machine (might be the BG one) that they hook into the transmission lines.
Which dealer and how much do they charge?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Which dealer and how much do they charge?
It is Don Beyer Dulles. I think it was around $249 plus tax, I remember they had a special on it. That included 12 quarts of the fluid at $9.99/quart. It is the BGK flush system/method.

My advisor is Ali and he has been really great and fair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts