SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Haldex pump for the 2011 w/140K miles as preventative maintenance. Tell me I'm doing the right thing. :)

$275 (new pump from Tasca) is a lot for PM in my book (though I just spent twice that for PM parts under the hood), but I need to service the Haldex anyway, so I might as well do it all at once.

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd do the oil and filter change and maybe take the pump out to clean its filter but otherwise run the pump until it fails. Who knows, maybe you will get a few more years out of it? Your preference though.

I got my pump at Rockauto for less money. My only complaint was that Dorman hadn't package it properly and it came with a broken filter, so I had to transfer it over and use the old one.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
^^this. They usually fail because of dirty fluid.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys:

I always worry about cooking the DEM with a bad pump (see end of video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adKwiZ2e0Qs&t=845s

Granted, the video is an older Haldex.

When you think about it, I'm already $60 into the Haldex service between fluid and filter. That's money I'd have to spend again when the pump does go.

I'd thought about going with the Dorman pump.... but Tasca has the "official" HA1 Haldex for a smidgen more. I've been burned by Dorman before.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Can't see a reason to replace the pump before it fails. Especially if you're changing your fluid.

I personally would probably hold over until there's an actual issue or failure, then spend the money.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,295 Posts
The fluid and filter should be changed between 30-50k miles. Your pump may last well into the next fluid and filter change or more.

Also, don't forget the cheapest part, but much needed, the plug washer (plug gasket) https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-oil-drain-plug-gasket-11998-32411093598 I usually buy a bunch of these at once to have on hand since it is the same part for the Haldex, rear diff, and angle gear fill plugs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, All!

I have all the parts and whatnot to do the filter/fluid. I guess I'll just pull the pump to make sure there's no grossness on its pre-filter, and press on with it. I bought the car at 134K miles, and unless dealer service calls for AOC service, I doubt this one has had any fluid changed. The car was well cared for by its PO.... but only as far as what the dealer service intervals call for.

-Ryan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts