SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
GC9 is a great car with many advanced features more than many luxury cars in US. The engine power is the weak part but engines from Geely are still quite reliable, just not powerful. The exterior is also very decent.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Horrible grille. VolvoGeely seems to like the "my kid has chrome braces" look on their grilles recently. I still think the grille on the new XC90 is like a pimple on a supermodel's chin. Or as some people have dubbed it "the punisher." The new XC90 Volvo grilles with less chrome look a lot better.

This Geely isn't bad. It just is anything to say wow about. It is like a nice Kia. Derivative.

·
Registered
434 Posts
And yet I can see a good rival for the Ford Mondeo in Europe which is one of the largest family cars that can be purchased. Geely have designed this flagship well.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
And yet I can see a good rival for the Ford Mondeo in Europe which is one of the largest family cars that can be purchased. Geely have designed this flagship well.
Over the other Asian offerings like Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis, Hyundai i40/Sonata or the VW Passat and others from Europe? Hmm...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Price for base model is 146,000 yuan which is (about) $23k US. Top trim is $5k more. And they think that's expensive. For comparison, the S60L according to this article http://www.carnewschina.com/tag/volvo-s60l/ is priced from 220,000 yuan ($35k) to 330,900 yuan ($52k). Also noted they use camera based BLIS and (if I read it right) City Safety deactivates (!) under 20 kph? That must be wrong, otherwise what's the point? It does look pretty nice except for that grill...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Price for base model is 146,000 yuan which is (about) $23k US. Top trim is $5k more. And they think that's expensive. For comparison, the S60L according to this article http://www.carnewschina.com/tag/volvo-s60l/ is priced from 220,000 yuan ($35k) to 330,900 yuan ($52k). Also noted they use camera based BLIS and (if I read it right) City Safety deactivates (!) under 20 kph? That must be wrong, otherwise what's the point? It does look pretty nice except for that grill...
Has to be a bad translation.. The way pedestrians get run over in China, they need the city safe operating as much as possible.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Honestly, aside from the goofy front grill, the car is not bad. The exterior sides have more character than a certain Volvo diecast model, and the interior has some nice upscale touches like metallic tips on the switchgear. Maybe Volvo can easily source these to replace those "vintage" door window switches on the new XC90? ;)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Interesting that the tester calls it a hatchback though it isn't. I also note it has a big sunroof, unlike the S90, and an electric steering wheel adjustment, unlike any Volvo. Perhaps they should export the 3.5 liter V6 version to the USA for our incurable fourphobics.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
When S60 is fading out next year, put S60L label on GC9 and it could sell a lot in US. lol
The 3.5V6 is not very powerful though.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
When S60 is fading out next year, put S60L label on GC9 and it could sell a lot in US. lol
The 3.5V6 is not very powerful though.
Why would you do that when we have the S60 Inscription, which is a longer wheelbase vs regular S60) plus the S60 Inscription is head and shoulders a better car than the GC9 is? There is no comparison.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Why would you do that when we have the S60 Inscription, which is a longer wheelbase vs regular S60) plus the S60 Inscription is head and shoulders a better car than the GC9 is? There is no comparison.
I am just kidding but it is possible to fill some gap when current S60 is on the way out.

We don't see any S60 Inscription sales number in US. Any idea how close they are to the goal of sell 5k S60 Inscription a year, 400 a month?

GC9 is actually quite interesting. It is equipped more than many luxury level sedans in US. It is at Hyundai Genesis level. The V6 engine is not that powerful as just to meet the needs in China market. They should beef it up if want to target European or US market.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Over the other Asian offerings like Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis, Hyundai i40/Sonata or the VW Passat and others from Europe? Hmm...
Yes because both the Toyota and Mazda are expensive to insure in the UK, the Hyundai i40 isn't seen as a natural rival to those cars in the UK and the VW Passat has the Skoda Octavia and Superb as middle sized/large sized cars that could easily take on Geely - if this model is actually good enough.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Interesting that the tester calls it a hatchback though it isn't. I also note it has a big sunroof, unlike the S90, and an electric steering wheel adjustment, unlike any Volvo. Perhaps they should export the 3.5 liter V6 version to the USA for our incurable fourphobics.
It actually does look like a European mid sized/large family hatchback, similar to the European Ford Mondeo.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I am just kidding but it is possible to fill some gap when current S60 is on the way out.

We don't see any S60 Inscription sales number in US. Any idea how close they are to the goal of sell 5k S60 Inscription a year, 400 a month?
Last month was the first full month when the car went on sale (with a lease program, etc) and 314 were sold.

I know, in my market, the S60 Inscription sold almost 1:1 vs regular S60.

And, yes, in 2016 I expect the S60 Inscription to sell very well, surpassing the regular S60.

·
Registered
434 Posts
More fastback than hatchback, since the rear window does not open.
Whichever and whatever - a hatchback could easily be added to the design then. Versatility factored into the design which is clever to say the least. Some countries in Europe tend to go for hatchbacks rather than saloons/sedans although in the UK there's been a massive approach to put up with the executive sedan versus the executive hatch. Exec sedans sell well in fleets as well as main businesses.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'd like a hatchback, but the only competitor with one is the A7. And there's always the V90. American, Russian, and Chinese passengers apparently dislike the drafts produced by hatchbacks. Hence the XC90 Excellence's internal partition, something I thought Volvo might have used in a hatchback S90 or S90L.

·
Registered
434 Posts
When a hatch has a sloping back, the angle of it could present safety conflicts. An internal partition wedged between the rear seats and back window could further inhibit safety tests. The previous Skoda Superb had an ingenious Sedan shape but with a rear hatch that opens up. It also had a safety partition to stop draughts as well as the option to open the boot like a sedan or like a hatchback. The current model no longer features this, but it didn't stop Skoda from selling them. Rivals to the Ford Mondeo 5 door in the UK used to include the Mazda 6 hatch but it is no longer available and only GM's Insignia 5 door is available or, of course the much larger Audi A7.

In the UK buyers have been swayed apparently to buy more crossovers than 5 door family hatchbacks. I guess that makes sense. Hatchbacks tend to be reserved in Volvo's more compact car ranges. Seen as the starting point of versatility before trading up to a proper wagon, or something in between like a V60.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts