SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if their are any real benefits to using the geartronic transmission's manual mode? Do you get better MPG? Or is the feeling of "control" the only advantage?<p>Also, is the turbo disengaged in manual mode? Sure seems like it.<p>Thanks!<p>Michael

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Re: Geatronic Transmission - Manual Mode Benifits? (meshugy)

Turbo is always on ... Really the difference is that u can shift it a little bit later which by then ur out of the power ban so ur wasting ur time .... i really think its all about giving the auto driver the manual feel without the manual.. no benefits to my knowledge

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I tried gunning it a couple of times while in manual mode and the turbo didn't seem to engage. Switched back to automatic and tried it again and the car took off like a rocket!<p>I'll try again, but it seems at least my car disengages the turbo while in manual mode (2007 xc70)<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by meshugy at 2:00 PM 6-1-2009</i>

·
Registered
487 Posts
The turbo most definitely does not disengage. When you switch to manumatic mode, you need to make sure you are in the right gear for the level of acceleration you need. IN fully auto mode, when you mash the gas pedal, it downshifts for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok...I'll try it again. I was going around 60 in the 5th gear and I didn't seem to be able to get the Turbo to kick in. Will try again....

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (meshugy)

5th gear in manual, not much will happen (SLOW)!<br>You need to be in 3rd or 4th

·
Registered
249 Posts
Re: (JRL)

I've found that being able to select manually between 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear is a great help on twisty mountain roads, especially on switchbacks downhill. Downshift, let the car go really slow, no need to ride the brakes.<p>Same thing in bad weather, although any auto car has an "overdrive" or "low gear" selection so that you can get slower acceleration to avoid skidding. Having options for all the gears just lets you fine-tune it more.<p>Other than those situations, you might as well just leave it in auto mode.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (CaptainBeowulf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>CaptainBeowulf</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Downshift, let the car go really slow, no need to ride the brakes.<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes, it seems like the ability to use engine breaking is advantageous. You'd probably get longer break life using the manumatic shifting.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Re: (meshugy)

Engine braking on a RWD is advantageous, but on a FWD it can be tricky on ice as the rear end won't have any braking and will try to swap ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts