SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of these tiptronic-type systems have automatic overrides built in to them. What about Volvo's? I am aware that you can't downshift into 1st gear until it is well below maximum rpm threshold (like maybe 4,000 rpm). Are there any other built-in "helpers" (read: annoyances)?

Thanks,

Marc

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
There are "helpers"yes.
If you stop in front of a traffic light in 3rd or 4th it shifts back to 1st.
If you shift back into high rpm it is only allowed if the RPM is correct but from what I recall you can shift back into rather high rpm.

My personal opinion is that the GT lacks any form of feedback and can't be called sportive but it has some advantages.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no problem with the "asleep at the wheel" helper of shifting down when you come to a stop--I think pretty much all the manumatics do this. It is the other overrides that annoy me to no end. I mean I wouldn't be using the manual mode if I didn't want to hold it in the particular gear...!!

Will the Volvo automatically upshift or downshift under any circumstances?

Marc

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Geartronic is actually one of the better 'manumatic' systems out there as far as over-rides is concerned. Better than Steptronic, Auto-Stick, Tiptronic, Sportshift, and Touch-Shift IMHO, because a lot of them won't let you reach redline and still others only let you shift after 2nd gear. The Volvo Geartronic system is pretty good about holding gears and letting you reach the upper RPM range. I am pretty sure that Geartronic will not let you downshift if the RPM's will be too high, but it will let you reach the rev-limiter when you are upshifting.

-Drew

·
Registered
128 Posts
Geartronic will let you hit the rev limiter. I have done this several times myself by mistake in stoplight escapades...

Of all of the tip-type trannys, the Volvo and Audi/VW are the best at not stepping in too much. My 99 Passat had a shorter delay than my 01 T5 though I have since adjusted to it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
The only annoyance I can think of is the lock up torque converter. In 3rd gear or above, you will feel a second "shift" without any input from you when the lock up torque converter kicks in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.