SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<br>I know that for Audis you can reprogram the tiptronic to shift form 1 sec to .2 sec, is there something similar for the R.<p>Does the BSR tuner do something about this <br>

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have BSR's PPC and it doesn't seem like it has made the shifting any faster; but that's how it feels to me anyway, it's not definite.<br>However, it would be nice to know if it is somehow possible.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: (acg69)

I don't think anyone makes a TCM (Transmission Control Module) chip for the Rs. The ECU chips currently available will not modify the transmission and how fast it will shift.<br>

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Geartronic (Lotus esprit S4s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Lotus esprit S4s</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>I know that for Audis you can reprogram the tiptronic to shift form 1 sec to .2 sec, is there something similar for the R.<p>Does the BSR tuner do something about this <br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yep, it's called the S button behind the shifter. <p>Seriously, I have not heard of any of the ECU tunes that change the shift time. IPD's chip will reduce the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: Geartronic (needsdecaf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>needsdecaf</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yep, it's called the S button behind the shifter. <p>Seriously, I have not heard of any of the ECU tunes that change the shift time. IPD's chip will reduce the torque limiter in 1st and 2nd, but that's about it. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>It's not an ECU tune. It's a TCM (Transmission Control Module) tune. On the VW/Audi's there are 2 control modules (for our purpose here), 1 is the ECU and 1 is the TCM. <p>The Tip Chip (as it's called on the VW/Audi forums) from GIAC USA, modifies the shift time so it's quicker. When you push the Geartronic into a gear, it takes X time for it to actually shift. What GIAC has done to the VW/Audi Tiptronic is shorten that time from ~ 1 second down to .2 seconds (I thought it was .08 seconds.). <p>This delay will affect you if you are looking to shift <b>right now</b>. The delay is noticeable and is very annoying under certain driving situations. I am not saying you'll notice this while racing/tracking. You will notice it if you drive it mostly in manual mode in city driving. Upshift with the Tiptronic, <pause>, then the shift. <br>

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Re: Geartronic (Volvo Grrrr)

IIRC the Geartronic has a feature that adapts to your driving style in terms of shift <B>points </B>but I do not know of anyone who has changed the actual shift <B>time</B>.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Re: Geartronic (bschurr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>bschurr</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IIRC the Geartronic has a feature that adapts to your driving style in terms of shift <B>points </B>but I do not know of anyone who has changed the actual shift <B>time</B>. </TD></TR></TABLE><p>VW/Audi has the same thing where it adapts to your driving style.<br>

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Geartronic (Volvo Grrrr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Volvo Grrrr</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>It's not an ECU tune. It's a TCM (Transmission Control Module) tune. <br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>I understand this, sorry if I didn't make it clear for the questioner. My point was that the only chip tuning we have are ECU mods, and as far as I know none of them effect the shift time, since they don't effect the TCM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts