SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Car: 2005 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD

The stick of the Geartronic shift keeps physically moving to the "manual" +/- side, every time I put the stick to the "D" position.
This happened suddenly today. I have to use the manual shifting, or physically hold the stick on the "D" position with my hand.

The car appears to work fine. There are no error messages or warning lamps on.

Is this some sort of spring or mechanism that got out of place?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've seen it called a broken "shifter claw".

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I had the same issue in an old BMW once. Lost tension between automatic mode and manumatic selections and was fall over unexpectedly over a bump or if jostled.

$40 claw and about an hour of my time resolved it.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
claw broke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My shifter doesn't physically switch between Drive & Manual, it just switched electronically

Everything I've read about shifter problems seem to stem from mechanical problems with the shifter itself (i.e. stuck in park, won't go into park, won't stay in drive, etc.) but my shifter moved into drive just fine, the problem once it gets there the little red indicated moved into Manual mode but without the shifter physically moving out of the automatic/drive position.

So then I find myself stuck in manual transmission (geartronic) mode in either position so my only option is the physically move the shifter to the left so I can upshift the gears (it downshifts automatically as you roll to a stop but not as you go up a hill).

My daughter left the sunroof open last night so I'm blaming this on wet electronics....my mechanic says it may go away once everything dries out....or it may not. He can't assure me.

Anyone else ever run into this?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Apologies for not seeing this earlier. Try https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/2005-xc90-gear-selector-wont-stay-drive-65100/ , pop the shifter cover up from rear (front of the cupholder lid) and gently lift it high enough to get a light in there.

Maybe not the claw but there's something mechanical that needs fixed in that area first from what you're describing, then you can see about the electronics.

FYI, the floors on these cars are pretty deep and the padding will soak up a ton of water with no drains of any value in the foot-wells where the AYC/RSC module (this is a 2005) lives. Maybe not a problem this time but just be aware...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just replaced my shifter claw. When shifter working properly, clicks solidly between drive and manual. Shifter claw breaks and it flops loose from left to right. Easy fix. Cheap part. Also replaced the shifter knob because the button broke. New shifter handle $100 from Volvo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts