SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My geartronic response time is extra extra slow. i need to upgrade it somehow and i was wondering if anyone knew what i could purchase to do this. When shifting it takes a good 5 seconds to actually shift into the gear i choose. i wasthinking maybe a flash of my ecu would work maybe. i need help thanks guys, its almost too annoying that i want to sell my car.:mad:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Flashing the ecu does nothing. Keep it in D or buy a manual. The aw56 is junk compared to dsg and other twin clutch transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
915 Posts
An upgraded lower engine torque mount will improve the feel of the shifts smoother and more solid but as for speed your out of luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
That sounds like an unusually long time. I've never really timed mine but it can't be far off from a second. I know it aint no ferrari shifting in milliseconds but I definitely dont shift and wait long enough to count to 5

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My geartronic response time is extra extra slow. i need to upgrade it somehow and i was wondering if anyone knew what i could purchase to do this. When shifting it takes a good 5 seconds to actually shift into the gear i choose. i wasthinking maybe a flash of my ecu would work maybe. i need help thanks guys, its almost too annoying that i want to sell my car.:mad:
Is this something new to you or are you trying to use the geartronic for the first time?

The way the geartronic works is that it will register your action and when conditions are appropriate it will shift. It may not if you release the pressure on the gas pedal and reset it self. So, if you don't let go of the gas pedal but try to shift way too soon, for torque safety reason, it won't shift until it reaches the proper conditions. If you are within the bracket it should change in a fraction of a second. For the human brain (or vs. manual) it's slow but it's actually pretty responsive I think.

My geartonic is pretty responsive if I time myself well which admittedly with no feedback other than rpm/speed and noise is hard to do all the time. I'm getting better at it up-shift.
I actually find the downshift more annoying because sometime it downshift just before I do and engine feedback is even lesser. When going from 4th to 3rd I may end-up in 2nd and get too much of an engine brake. Again all in the timing. You have to replicate manual shifting conditions without manual shifting feedback.

Lastly, and if it is a new condition for you, there is a magnet type switch that senses gear knob movement. If the corrugated screen is old, cracked, or loose, the magnet attached underneath it might not be well placed and the shifting won't work properly. It's a silly problem but common.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I usually don't use the Geartronic Mode unless I'm going up a really steep hill or down a hill, and even then, not much. In any case, 5secs is certainly longer response time that I'm used to.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Even if it does take 5 seconds (mine definitely doesn't) ... learn your car, learn when you need to 'shift' so that your car ACTUALLY shifts when you want to it ... For instance: When I'm getting on it and got my right down to the metal and I'm in 2nd and want to shift into 3rd, I like to 'manually' shift around the 5600-5800 mark. This way when the car actually makes the shift, she's sitting right around 6500. But going from 3rd into 4th - I slap the stick forward around 6000 since the engine is building RPM's slower then in 2nd ...

As you get higher in the gears - the car will seemingly take longer to shift. Wrong. It'll take the same amount of time to shift into 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. It's the illusion of time it takes to build the RPMs in a given gear that make it seem to take longer in the higher gears.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I call mine a suggestion lever. All you do is push it into suggesting to change gears :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I drove a vw rabbit with a geartronic transmission and a acura rsx and the response was so much faster and a all together better feeling. i want my car to feel like that so i asked a few tuner gods and they said that most the time when you buy a rica tune for your car it makes your tranny more responsive.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Flashing the ecu does nothing. Keep it in D or buy a manual. The aw56 is junk compared to dsg and other twin clutch transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
Shame it isn't an AW56... ;) More so a AW55-51 ;)

And DSG is junk... Very juddery... Very material killing... VW has had so many issues with their DSG (Direkt Schaltgetriebe) that they have had to change it multiple times.

ANY modern torque contvertor automatic can change gears near as quick but with more comfort.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It has to do with the 2-4 servo or something like that. On 4L60E transmissions (GM trucks) you can buy a vette servo for about $40 and swap it out. With no tune, you'll be snapping your neck back on every shift. Car manufacturers ease up on the shift firmness to increase the driving comfort. Not everyone wants a sporty gear shift. I do though :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
It has to do with the 2-4 servo or something like that. On 4L60E transmissions (GM trucks) you can buy a vette servo for about $40 and swap it out. With no tune, you'll be snapping your neck back on every shift. Car manufacturers ease up on the shift firmness to increase the driving comfort. Not everyone wants a sporty gear shift. I do though :D
^^^^^ more on this.
This is new to me but how difficult is this swap?

·
Registered
837 Posts
proper fluid change and tune will "shorten" that up for you. but it will always be more of a suggestion lever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts