SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the new post, I searched and couldn't find the original post from whatever new owner pointed out that their gear shifter could change gears without pressing the release button to move it. I promised to try myself and finally did today.

And in my case, that's half right. I repeatedly found the gear shifter would push from Drive to Neutral whether the car was stopped or moving without pressing the button. If you simply accidentally knock it or press it with enough force it goes to neutral.

It would not, in my case anyway, move from neutral to Reverse.

I honestly have never tried to force this with my other cars so I have no idea if this is intentional or typical. If it had gone into Reverse that would have been a serious concern. Neutral was not as big a deal and it was easy to quickly shift it back.

Anyone else try this or know if this is supposed to be how it works?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think most cars shift easily from drive into neutral -- and I think they are supposed to. It's the equivalent of taking the car out of gear in a standard transmission -- you could always do that without touching the clutch, at least in my cars.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I would be curious if the original person who noted this issue in another topic confirmed it also moved to Reverse in his car or if he was experiencing the same thing I did (Drive to Neutral) and didn't know it was intentional. Hopefully he chimes in...

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Drive to neutral without pressing the button isn't something unique to this vehicle. I remember the post you are referencing citivas, if his moved into reverse from drive without pressing the button there definitely would be something wrong in that situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts