SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone changed or considering changing the gear shifter knob and leather to the new 2013 design? I'm curious as to the difficulty level and the process involved in making the change...

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The leather would probably be doable, but the gear shifter maybe harder since its illuminated with all the gear positions and now it has a leather boot, so possibly a new center console trim piece.

This just sounds way too $$$ to worry about, I'm sure you could find other things to spend that kind of money on, lol!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I agree. In theory everything is doable. It's going to need the electrical connections to the shifter which would probably be different than the existing ones for the orange lights on the side. Maybe a new mechanism too since it might not just be a new backlit knob with a boot.
I personally replaced the big hollow stock knob with a Heico aluminum knob. It feels and looks better and was very easy to install.
Just my two cents. BTW I really like the 2013 shifter!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called a couple of dealerships and they had no idea if it could be done or not and no one was too willing to look into it. One said I could order the parts for $470 (knob, bezel, and housing) and they could try to put it on for me but that doing so would void the warranty. Very disappointing because the '13 version is so much nicer than the '12...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anybody have a good pic. to share of the 2013 shifter?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called a couple of dealerships and they had no idea if it could be done or not and no one was too willing to look into it. One said I could order the parts for $470 (knob, bezel, and housing) and they could try to put it on for me but that doing so would void the warranty. Very disappointing because the '13 version is so much nicer than the '12...
Void the warranty? How? By replacing volvo parts with volvo parts? Sounds like someone at the dealer is trying to cover there arse incase they screw something up.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The Sport shift part of the new shifter now goes left and the '11-'12 shifter goes right. There has to me something different with the gear selector in that part of the transmission; just spitballing some ideas out there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Anybody have a good pic. to share of the 2013 shifter?
There are at least three pictures of it at http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?177940-Just-picked-up-a-2013-S60-T5-AWD!!!.

FWIW, after looking at the shifter mechanism on my 2013, I can't imagine going through the hassle. Besides the knob and wiring, the shifter mechanicals and gate are different (now Sport is to the left) - plus the Geartronic itself is different, so the CPU settings will be different. There's also a duplicate gear display in the tach because the LEDs in the knob disappear in bright light, and on and on. To do it right - if you could figure out the electronics - would cost way north of $1,000. :eek:

OTOH, you probably could just buy the knob parts and wire the LEDs to a small lithium battery you could hide in the console to get the effect. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
And MY '14 is bound to bring improvements even further. Just have to be happy with the one you have or have enough money to get a new one each year.
X2. The next one of anything (car, computer, wife) is always better than the one you have now. :p

·
Registered
14,121 Posts
I'm sure I would like the new shifter in person if I bothered to go check it out as I think the pictures posted here don't do it justice. The clear plastic (?) top looks like it would get scratched over time. I guess I don't mind the leather one that came with the car.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm sure I would like the new shifter in person if I bothered to go check it out as I think the pictures posted here don't do it justice. The clear plastic (?) top looks like it would get scratched over time. I guess I don't mind the leather one that came with the car.
It feels like they used Gorrila Glass for the plastic, so it shouldn't scratch.

·
Registered
301 Posts
they do feel nice,but look like the top of an alien's head.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Jokes aside I WOULD like to be able to swap the my 13 knob with the my 14. That black knob is much classier than the clear.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
347 Posts
http://www.volvopartswebsite.com/OEMParts/volvo-158/3/31325257.html

Looks like the part is only $120. It's hard to tell if that includes the shift boot (can't be that expensive) I think the guy installed it without changing the shift module such that sport mode is on the right. If that's what costs the extra $500 in parts to change then I can't see why you would bother.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
http://www.volvopartswebsite.com/OEMParts/volvo-158/3/31325257.html

Looks like the part is only $120. It's hard to tell if that includes the shift boot (can't be that expensive) I think the guy installed it without changing the shift module such that sport mode is on the right. If that's what costs the extra $500 in parts to change then I can't see why you would bother.
Someone did it over on the XC60 forum and it cost over $800 to do; I could do a lot more things with that $800.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Someone did it over on the XC60 forum and it cost over $800 to do; I could do a lot more things with that $800.
Yes, but I think that guy had it shifting to the left for sport mode. I figure you'd have to change much more than just the shift knob to make that change. If you did it with sport mode going to the right you wouldn't have as much to do. It may look odd when the shifter says go left and you go right, but if that's what ups the cost then I think a lot of people wouldn't care. I actually prefer sport mode going to the right (I'm pretty sure I'm a minority there).

·
Registered
12 Posts
To me it's not a problem if the gear knob says sport mode on left and in real it's on right as know where it is. Also this sport mode is used not too much by me. The price on the link is only for gear knob.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts