SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Volvo: '04 XC70 AWD Silver 2.5

Issue: Gear Shift is stuck in D and Neutral (but won't go into R or Park)

Incident: Started (or stopped!) I was parking car.

Things I have tried - Brake Lights work. Brake Light fuse checked (OK) key cable examination, i can see a yellow round cyliner at the other end of the key cable underaneath the gear stick area - is this supposed to be able to move? It doesnt move when i can kinda push at it with a tool or finger.

*** Question: if I can access the Solenoid and disconnect (or clean) those two electrical connectors to the solenoid will that allow the gear stick to move again?
[Auto Trans Brake Shift Interlock Solenoid]

I can see that The Key Cable moves the cable spring back and forth somewhat but I don't know what a healthy range of motion is. But it pushes forward when I turn key and retracts somewhat when I remove key.

I likely need to access that gearing area and to that end I have removed some side parts of the center console, taken off the leather plastic parking brake cover and a few other snap offs. But center console is mostly in there.

Need advice on how to remove that center console- and mosre so actually next thing I best try or a quick fix to get me to a repair shop.
A blow out parts map or a video with removing the center console to possibly access the AT Solenoid - It has the long silver grip handle, cup holders and flip up hinge at the back.

*** Is there any Quick fix to restore gear movement - what can I try next please?
*** what exact type size of screw driver removes the console crews
*** is there a video to show the how to to remove the console

I am reading this about the Solenoid - is there something else could be causing this stuck in N or D issue because this fault says it gets stuck in Park - my car will not allow access to Park or Reverse.
https://repairpal.com/estimator/vol...ake-shift-interlock-solenoid-replacement-cost

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I could be something much simpler than a solenoid. There is a plastic yellow fork that allows for Auto and Manual geartronic shifting. It's a small (3" ish) plastic tongue that is spring loaded to allow resistance and return position of the shifter when changing gears.

If this snaps, which a kid jumping over the front seats kicking the shifter.... Or a rogue water bottle(my case) could hit it with enough force to snap the plastic. Sometimes not showing signs until parking.

The the shifting mechanism will be stuck in certain gears.

Is like $15-30 part.

Center console pulls out after removing 4Main screws? 2 under head unit.

Shifter nob pulls straight up.... and plastic housing faceplate just needs a bone tool if I recall.

Use a magnetic screw driver.... By God is it impossible to recover those damn screws in the void of the center column.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had that yellow fork brake in my 03 and the shifter wouldn’t stay in automatic. Always wanted to flop over to manual. Like the other guys said it’s a cheap it’s just hassle being careful with old plastic trim and trying not to break it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could be something much simpler than a solenoid. There is a plastic yellow fork that allows for Auto and Manual geartronic shifting. It's a small (3" ish) plastic tongue that is spring loaded to allow resistance and return position of the shifter when changing gears.

If this snaps, which a kid jumping over the front seats kicking the shifter.... Or a rogue water bottle(my case) could hit it with enough force to snap the plastic. Sometimes not showing signs until parking.

The the shifting mechanism will be stuck in certain gears.

Is like $15-30 part.

Center console pulls out after removing 4Main screws? 2 under head unit.

Shifter nob pulls straight up.... and plastic housing faceplate just needs a bone tool if I recall.

Use a magnetic screw driver.... By God is it impossible to recover those damn screws in the void of the center column.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Thank you -

I see a few yellow 'things' in there - one is very obvious and is at the end of the key cable..

thanks you

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had that yellow fork brake in my 03 and the shifter wouldn’t stay in automatic. Always wanted to flop over to manual. Like the other guys said it’s a cheap it’s just hassle being careful with old plastic trim and trying not to break it

Thank you -

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
you need to get in there so you can see if 12v is making it to the solenoids anyhow.

so get to taking the center console apart.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you need to get in there so you can see if 12v is making it to the solenoids anyhow.

Yessir! Yep think I got some unscrewing and fiddling to do ...

Do you know if
I take off the two electric wires to the solenoid that it temporarily allows the gear stick to move.
(other Rocker Arm issue notwithstanding)

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you -

I see a few yellow 'things' in there - one is very obvious and is at the end of the key cable..

thanks you

John
Thanks -
for anyone reading this afterwards with similar issue the part referred to is yellow and black plastic with springs -
9463559, Gear Shift Rocker Arm Kit

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

DONE but diffic.

So the Center console - one trick on my Volvo XC70was to separate the DNRP plate underneath the gear stick into two sections so the center console could lift away from the wires.

The Yellow thing and spring is not broken seems not to be anyway.
- and I have sprayed in all around the cables and solenoid and some other parts there with electronic cleaner/lube.

Q:
How do I test the solenoid for 12V - it has two wires leading off of it.

Q; what else do I need to check for?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Gear Shift Rocker Arm is OK (examined today) so I am wondering what do I check out next and how do I cehck the operations and connections of the solenoid thing ...

Thanks

John

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Check the gear selector on the transmission for obstructions and range of motion. Located on top of the transmission under/behind the airbox area. Should be immediately noticable if you have a look.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
DONE but diffic.

So the Center console - one trick on my Volvo XC70was to separate the DNRP plate underneath the gear stick into two sections so the center console could lift away from the wires.

The Yellow thing and spring is not broken seems not to be anyway.
- and I have sprayed in all around the cables and solenoid and some other parts there with electronic cleaner/lube.

Q:
How do I test the solenoid for 12V - it has two wires leading off of it.

Q; what else do I need to check for?

Thanks

John
do you have a voltmeter.
jam it in the plug, step on the brake. You should get 12V there with the ignition on.

Check the gear selector on the transmission for obstructions and range of motion. Located on top of the transmission under/behind the airbox area. Should be immediately noticable if you have a look.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk
also a possibility.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Have you considered that the button in the shifter knob may be sticking? Very common issue on V40/s40’s. Yank it off by pulling upwards and give it s good lube and inspection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone fro your help, guidance, advice and tips so far! Appreciate it very much!
P0705: Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)

So I was tooling about in the same area not really getting anywhere
(I havent got my electronics checking tool to hand and I cant locate the sensor for the brake) so on a whim I tried my code reader again and Lo! it came up with a code that hadn't before.

Could this be the fault clue that that it is some sort of sensor is causing the issue and if so what should I do next - check transmission fluid levels ... and what else - is there something in the engine hood to be checked?

thnx

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks NsJames - I took the console apart and I took the two wires off of the solenoid under the gear area. So Voltmeter seems to be getting something like 11 wgen the two wires into the solenoid are exanined. Peculiar as that number seems to be the same whether I press on brake or not - which seems wrong (?) to me anyhow. Shouldnt it give 12v only when the brake is pressed down...

Secondly I am not an expert in using a voltmeter but I did a continuity test over the two prongs of the AT solenoid and it does NOT beep - gets some number on it that is like 47 and not close to zero.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
that's the coil ohms. solenoid is basically an electro magnet.

it sounds fine.

odd 12v all the time may very well be related to your transmission range error.
There's a sensor attached to the transmission that tells the computer what physical range the transmission is it. This is how the computer knows what to do with the electronically controlled solenoids.
https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/6658/volvo-neutral-safety-switch-pnp-switch-diy/

obviously you should check the switch function and for harness damage before you order another, because they're $200.
It may also be able to be cleaned. I don't know, I've never taken one of these particular ones apart. but if it's like an AW4 one, you can carefully cut them open, clean and repair the traces and carbon wipes and then put it back together.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
that's the coil ohms. solenoid is basically an electro magnet.

it sounds fine.

odd 12v all the time may very well be related to your transmission range error.
There's a sensor attached to the transmission that tells the computer what physical range the transmission is it. This is how the computer knows what to do with the electronically controlled solenoids.
https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/6658/volvo-neutral-safety-switch-pnp-switch-diy/

obviously you should check the switch function and for harness damage before you order another, because they're $200.
It may also be able to be cleaned. I don't know, I've never taken one of these particular ones apart. but if it's like an AW4 one, you can carefully cut them open, clean and repair the traces and carbon wipes and then put it back together.
Thank you for guidance re Coil.

Yes the 12v all of the time is 'something' unknown or mystery to me at the moment.

so gonna have to go get the PNP part and see how that goes.

Switch?
Which switch should I check please- the PNP (which is inside engine compartment) or some other plastic switches under the gear stick area?

Thanks

J

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are no codes showing now but last two were

and then a Gear Selector Reduced Function message on the dash was there for a minute.

I think Im going to get a PNP part and instal that - does that sound right to the Volvo peeps?

Thanks

J

1 - 20 of 30 Posts