SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
15 V60RD. Transmission and front differential are basically brand new. Checked for leaks, nothing under the car, no wet spots.

So, after some pretty hard driving last weekend, I noticed in stop and go traffic a very strong odor in the cabin. Only present after driving, does not smell if you're just idling. This to me indicates transmission or front differential.

I'm wondering if fluid has made its way up and out of either of the vent hoses (trans or diff). It smells very... Natural gassy? I'm not sure. I'm thinking I probably burned some fluid at the track, just wondering if anyone has experienced this before.

If I can't find anything this weekend I'll probably just have the dealership deal with it - CPO is a wonderful thing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you check the banjo bolt on top of the turbo? My car smelled like burning engine oil after driving and it finally came to a stop until I tightened the banjo bolt up recently.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you check the banjo bolt on top of the turbo? My car smelled like burning engine oil after driving and it finally came to a stop until I tightened the banjo bolt up recently.
About the banjo bolt, I'm not a track racer but just wondering is that something a normal driver would regularly need to check? if yes where is it located?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, haven't checked it but like I mentioned before it doesn't smell when idling. Only after driving. I realize oil pressure changes but I would expect to smell it all the time. Also, it's definitely not an engine oil smell. It's definitely either trans fluid or geal oil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
About the banjo bolt, I'm not a track racer but just wondering is that something a normal driver would regularly need to check? if yes where is it located?
The banjo bolt torqued up to its spec from the factory but it wasn’t tightened enough so it leaks tiny little bit as the oil pressure increases. There is a TSB for this and it basically tell you to replace the crush washer.

You can’t really see it underneath the car but I was able to blind fit a 17mm socket on top of the the turbo to the right and used a flex head ratchet to tighten it up just a bit to stop the leak/smell.

Nope, haven't checked it but like I mentioned before it doesn't smell when idling. Only after driving. I realize oil pressure changes but I would expect to smell it all the time. Also, it's definitely not an engine oil smell. It's definitely either trans fluid or geal oil.

Mine didn’t really smell at idle too but it started smelling pretty bad after driving, especially after hard driving. There was no visible oil leak too but the tiny bit of oil leak was enough to make it smell pretty bad with the heat coming the turbo.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The banjo bolt torqued up to its spec from the factory but it wasn’t tightened enough so it leaks tiny little bit as the oil pressure increases. There is a TSB for this and it basically tell you to replace the crush washer.

You can’t really see it underneath the car but I was able to blind fit a 17mm socket on top of the the turbo to the right and used a flex head ratchet to tighten it up just a bit to stop the leak/smell.

Mine didn’t really smell at idle too but it started smelling pretty bad after driving, especially after hard driving. There was no visible oil leak too but the tiny bit of oil leak was enough to make it smell pretty bad with the heat coming the turbo.
Interesting, I did notice a little bit of oil seepage coming from the top of the turbo last time I did my oil change. I'll have to tighten that up next time I have the splash pan off.

I doubt that is the OPs issue though as gear oil has a very distinct odor, quite rancid and easily distinguishable from engine oil. Last time I did my diff and bevel gear oil changes my garage (and even the inside of my car) smelt like it for 2-3 days. I feel like it even permeates into my nostrils as I could still smell even after showering. Also, I doubt it is trans fluid since that also has a very distinct smell that is nothing like gear oil. It is almost sweet smelling, definitely not the offensive stench of gear oil.

emgrock, you say your trans and diff are basically brand new? Does that mean you just had them replaced or rebuilt recently? If so, could it just be some gear oil residue left on the trans/diff case that is starting to smell when things really heat up?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, I did notice a little bit of oil seepage coming from the top of the turbo last time I did my oil change. I'll have to tighten that up next time I have the splash pan off.

I doubt that is the OPs issue though as gear oil has a very distinct odor, quite rancid and easily distinguishable from engine oil. Last time I did my diff and bevel gear oil changes my garage (and even the inside of my car) smelt like it for 2-3 days. I feel like it even permeates into my nostrils as I could still smell even after showering. Also, I doubt it is trans fluid since that also has a very distinct smell that is nothing like gear oil. It is almost sweet smelling, definitely not the offensive stench of gear oil.

emgrock, you say your trans and diff are basically brand new? Does that mean you just had them replaced or rebuilt recently? If so, could it just be some gear oil residue left on the trans/diff case that is starting to smell when things really heat up?
I guess fairly recently isn't quite accurate.. it's been like 6 months. Just started having the issue a few days ago.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The “Swedish Rally Champion” driving I perform in winter driving up the ice road to the summit of Mt Pinos in Southern California has resulted in a strong gear oil “sulfurous” odor when I put the ESC in disabled or sport mode. Enjoy the video of the polestar racing exhaust kitted 2016 S60 T6 r-Design w/P*, you can hear the whine of the supercharger!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av5arTYSlX_exBaGJZRLEMYxagYU

More rear torque bias in sport mode, so the rear diff gets far more torque than usual in glare ice conditions.

Although not applicable to your driving situation, but the heating and off-gassing of gear oil is quite offensive to the olfactories.

One of the reasons I had the the all of AWD gearboxes service’s done at 50,000miles was this strong odor. If I can get the fluid that hot by driving it hard in sport mode with lots of rear wheel torque applied it can only benefit the performance and longevity of these components. After having this service done, I could tell that the fresh fluids made the S60 feel like new again in the power train section.

But I do go overboard with maintenance, so I can remain king of the mountain with Nokian studded snows and 350HP!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts