SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 04 s60r with 6 speed manual and the awd does not work. If you spin the wheels the drive line does not spin and if you spin the drive line the tires don’t spin. There is no noise and spines freely ether way. Being that I just bought it I don’t know how long it has been driven this way.

So my questions are is my bevel gear shot, if so does anyone have part numbers for internal parts for the bevel gear so I may rebuild it instead of buying a hole new one, or is there an upgrade of some sort(after reading many posts I though I read somewhere there was but cant find it again). I think I would rather not buy a used one for the fact it would have the same wear already.

Also is this part number the right collar kit for my car #31256246

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
844 Posts

If the sleeve is stripped, stop driving it because the splines on the angle gear will eventually strip too.
search "angle gear" there are 3 videos to remove angle gear
When u remove sleeve use a 5 ton 3 jaw puller, drill 3 holes in sleeve (do not use a 2 jaw puller). Put a towel into tranny shaft, so that no metal shavings enter transmission. Use a 32mm socket against the drive shaft, get tranny fluid from Volvo first. Inspect Angle gear splines, you may decide to re-seal angle gear at this time with new angle gear oil if angle gear is good.
When the sleeve comes off, replace the 3 seals that come with the sleeve kit. Use a file and pick tools to remove the hard glue residue on the transmission shaft. Use a hard rubber mallet to pound sleeve on. Pay attention to where the seals are. Also take a measurement of the depth of the old sleeve on the tranny spline. This is just for a reference for yourself. I hope this helps. Call Volvo for the part number. It is a service kit, comes with 3 seals and grease and sleeve. If you cannot get part number, I have it on my receipt (not with me). I suggest that everyone should try to conquer this. Watch the 3 videos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will not be a problem replacing / fixing once I have the parts. I have a shop a lift and was a mechanic for many years. I am just trying to have the parts to do the job first and more importantly know my options.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You will lose a little tranny fluid, I suggest to change tranny fluid. Replace crush washers. The fill hole is behind driver front wheel on trans housing. Watch video, it will help. When I get home I will forward all part numbers to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have the part numbers for bevel gear internal parts also?

The resone I ask is my closest Volvo dealer is 100 miles away and there about as helpful as a door knob. I don’t think they do anything but R&R parts there, they just want to sell me a reman bevel gear for an inflated stealership price and if they reman them so can I.
I really am pretty sure the splines are shot in the bevel gear not just the collar because there is no resistance between the two and you would think if there were any splines left you could feel them when you turned it by hand.

I have watched the video its very strait forward work. good hands on video too

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If it is a GT i have a color sleve to sell

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am not aware if there is replacement parts or aftermarket parts for the angle gear. If you find anything like that, let everyone know. Bevel gear is probably okay. You have to disassemble to find that out. Bevel gear bolts up to tranny with no gasket. This is one reason I think the sleeve fails. There is nothing to stop moisture from entering where the sleeve resides. You may want to use gasket maker at this junction. Resealing the bevel gear may be a good idea at this time. More parts needed for this. Good luck.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Mine had no resistance either, but bevel gear splines were great. My sleeve was completely stripped flat. You should be fine.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Service kit: 31256246 Your part number is good (comes with 3 seals, lube, and sleeve)
Transmission oil: 31280771 CAPACITY 2.1L, API GL-4, SAE-75W
Bevel gear oil: 31259380 API GL-5, SAE 75W-90, CAPACITY 0.8L
These are the newest part numbers from Volvo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got it all done last weekend went really smooth the splines didn't look to good on the bevel gear but don't have another one so back together it went. Only time will tell how long it lasts. Here is a few of pictures of the splines they were untouched on the end of the shaft but about an 1/8 back they are pretty striped, fit real tight though.
If anyone has pictures of what there's looked like and how long it has lasted it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
i still have a gt sleve for sale.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah the angle gear looks like a lot of moisture is getting in there. Do u have any pics of what the tranny spines looked like? Did u have to clean all the metal glue residue from the tranny splines? Did u seal the angle gear housing to the tranny housing? I wish I took pics for everyone. How long did it take to remove the sleeve? Just wondering what others have done.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i still have a gt sleve for sale.
I got the whole kit from the dealer thanks though

Yeah the angle gear looks like a lot of moisture is getting in there. Do u have any pics of what the tranny spines looked like? Did u have to clean all the metal glue residue from the tranny splines? Did u seal the angle gear housing to the tranny housing? I wish I took pics for everyone. How long did it take to remove the sleeve? Just wondering what others have done.
No pictures of the tranny splines but they looked perfect. I cleaned everything to the point you could eat off it. I did seal the gear housing to the tranny when I put it back together. The sleeve toke about 30 minutes to cut the notches and pull.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you had to do this job on your back w/ jackstands, how much time would you budget for the whole thing end to end?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I really took my time in doing this. It took me 2 hours to get the angle gear off. It took 8 hours with a lot of fiddling with a 2 jaw puller, then I went to a 3 jaw puller and it came off. I cleaned everything for about 2 hours. Put it back together in 2 hours. One tip, after you drill the holes in the sleeve, sweep up the metal shavings, or your back will feel sunburnt! If I had to do it again, I think I could do it in half the time now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually ended up doing the job off of jack stands in my garage. I did not want to tie up a lift with my ride and it is a little more relaxing at the house than the shop. Not in a hurry it was a day, probably about 4 to 6 hours or so of actual work. I used a good two jaw puller with no problems, I first put some stress on the collar then with the torch I heated it up; even before I started pulling it again it started moving. Then hit the puller with the impact gun and it came right off. Cleaning everything up and getting all the junk/rust out of the splines was the longest part of the job. I should add that I do have a very extensive tool collection in my garage and as you know the right tool makes the job easier. This job does not need any real special tools but a good selection of extensions and wobbleies makes getting the hard to reach top bevel gear bolts cake.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm planning a collar replacement in the spring when my driveway thaws out. I'm going to do it as a precautionary measure since I'm the third owner of the car. I'll budget an entire day just to be safe. Thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Once the angle gear is removed, there is plenty of room. Just start with a smaller bit and go straight through making to holes that are aligned for a 2 jaw puller. Do not get too close to the edge of the sleeve, leave yourself a good half inch. Make the holes bigger for the jaws to fit in. You can turn the tranny shaft if the car is out of gear. I recommend to use a 3 jaw puller, so drill 3 holes and mark where u are going to drill so that the puller stays straight. Use a 32mm socket against the tranny shaft when pulling and use lots of mapp gas. Always put something in the tranny shaft so that no metal shavings enter the shaft. Leave the tranny shaft blocked until everything is clean and reassembly begins.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply, I did come across some threads that show drilled sleeve and the use of the puller. Unfortunately I will be attempting this with the two jaw puller I have at home, hopefully it comes out ok. I stopped at the dealer this morning and dropped $280 on the sleeve, seals and updated vent. The angle gear I'm resealing is actually low mileage, 30,000 and in great shape but my collar was worn when I swapped the AG a few months back. I'm going back in to replace the collar and replace all the seals on the AG, plus doing the actual reseal procedure for the center seam.

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to do this sort of thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.