SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts
If I missed another thread with this already addressed, I apologize; I did a search and didn't hit on much. Of course, that may mean I'm SOL...

I am looking for a replacement gauge panel faceplate for the malaise-era woodgrain one on my '73 ES. Something a little more clean would be fantastic. I read in another thread about how swedish ops was looking into offering updated gauges and faceplates but I haven't been able to find the definitive answer as to whether they are offering them yet online.

Any suggestions? I could fab something myself but would like to hear from other owners first...
For the panel,

On the '71 1800, and I assume it's the same on yours, it's a nice dull aluminum underneath. Sort of a brushed look. An exacto knife, pliers, a heat gun, and lots of patience, and I am very happy with mine (now just need to find a suitable dash pad).

...and since this is the gauge thread--

Are there any suitable replacements to the existing hardware? I don't need an original look- just tired of screwing with these. Is there a GPS-fueled speedo that fits our cars?

...and since this is the gauge thread--

Are there any suitable replacements to the existing hardware? I don't need an original look- just tired of screwing with these. Is there a GPS-fueled speedo that fits our cars?
I have been looking into aftermarket gauge set-ups for my project 1800.... I am currently looking into AutoMeter and for a whole new set up (that fits the stock openings) will put you back about $800+ and close to $1200 if you want to convert to digital gauges with the sweet "old school" styling.

-Jon

I have been looking into aftermarket gauge set-ups for my project 1800.... I am currently looking into AutoMeter and for a whole new set up (that fits the stock openings) will put you back about $800+ and close to $1200 if you want to convert to digital gauges with the sweet "old school" styling.

-Jon
Hmm. That AutoMeter prestige series is purdy. What are the sizes/ models you are looking at?

Discussion starter · #45 ·
For the panel,

On the '71 1800, and I assume it's the same on yours, it's a nice dull aluminum underneath. Sort of a brushed look. An exacto knife, pliers, a heat gun, and lots of patience, and I am very happy with mine (now just need to find a suitable dash pad).
I wondered about this possibilty. Thanks for letting me know that it can be done. I imagine that it takes a TON of patience....

Went digging in the garage and found:

• Dimmer rheostat
  • Wiper switch
  • Big box of Volvo electrical bits & gauges
...waves parts tantalizingly...

Ah, the pleasantries of antique ownership...

So I get the ES back from Fab-X in West Palm Beach, and the wiper switch turns them on but, after the shower has passed, will not turn the wipers off. The switch does not catch and detent went you push it into the up (off) position. I wound up just unplugging the connector while I was driving.

Then, tonight while driving back from the hospital, the dash panel lights go out and stay out. The headlamps and all other external lights work, as do their indicator lamps on the dash. All gauges are working. The courtesy lights are working. But the dash panel lights and map lights ain't. I quick look at the wiring diagram and the fuse box and no obvious culprit can be determined at 1am so this will be yet another project for another day...

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.