SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I missed another thread with this already addressed, I apologize; I did a search and didn't hit on much. Of course, that may mean I'm SOL...

I am looking for a replacement gauge panel faceplate for the malaise-era woodgrain one on my '73 ES. Something a little more clean would be fantastic. I read in another thread about how swedish ops was looking into offering updated gauges and faceplates but I haven't been able to find the definitive answer as to whether they are offering them yet online.

Any suggestions? I could fab something myself but would like to hear from other owners first...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to Swedespeed, Brandt.

Is this yours?...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ab9yIToC_-U/UBljyilErcI/AAAAAAAAC0Y/2STNZwMOAAQ/s1600/1800ES_1.jpg

Before we bomb you with "...keep it original!..." do you plan to remove one or both dashes anytime soon?

A Texan in Florida - sucks, eh?!

George Dill
Temple, the home of Scott and White... God, I miss Texas. Fridays at the Dixie Chicken, real barbeque and genuinely nice people...

I will not be removing the dashes anytime soon. The interest is in trying something that more fits the exterior style of the car. Wood doesn't do that so much, IMO. But I'm flexible. I'll give it some time to grow on me.

Yes, BTW. I found the ES on DailyTurismo.com and had to have it.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Just got back from Scott & White - old man in good health - thanks to sw.org

Your ES has a great history...

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2012/08/15k-1973-volvo-1800es.html

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2012/08/dt-success-story-thorsday-throwdown.html

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=17627

...and may be the very Volvo I lusted after at the 2002 VCOA/VSA Meet in Solvang, CA...

http://www.irollmotors.com/images/shows/shows_22.jpg

Now that we have your thread heated up we will want more pics and history.

BTW, stick-on "decals" are available to fit over the wooden parts of your ES dash panels but oh, so tacky!

Another alternative...

http://www.davebarton.com/WhiteFaceGauges_1800.html

How about some machine-spun aluminium panels?...

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/eventimages/1207_sogate/262/gate_bbso12_12_cp.jpg

George Dill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear you're doing good. Good people, S&W. Once the kids are precisely one day into using their Florida Pre-Paid College plan I'm taking my wife back to TX, getting a dozen acres in Hill Country and start seeing patients between long periods of wrenching, riding and driving.

The transporter (who shall remain nameless as I'm sure this happens often) actually lost the keys to the ES so Volvo d'ship in Miami is having new one made today and tomorrow. I won't have her until this weekend, it looks like but you can be sure she will make regular appearances here.

Like the aluminum panel; thanks. It would look pretty good in the Smurfy interior color scheme...

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
"...getting a dozen acres in Hill Country..."

You just missed 20 acres on the South Llano River being part of the big spread of Coke Stevenson.

Here is the parent tract...

http://www.thorntonranchsales.com/summary/1300.php

...which is being divided into smaller parcels but this one is spoken for...

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/52799086.jpg

The South Llano is the only river in Texas to run north its entire course and it has NEVER gone dry as it is fed by numerous springs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...L-g&oq=junction&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=14&t=h&z=6

George Dill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
South Florida P1800 support??

Does anyone have any info on a shop in South Florida that knows this car? I have finally had my new baby/obsession/money sponge delivered from CA and she needs a few issues addressed. Most I will do myself but a local resource would be helpful, as well... Thanks for any and all info.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
You are a lucky man, DoctorDel.

You own the very 1800ES of my wishes and Phil has directed you to the very folks that restored this ES...

http://www.acnvolvo.com/images/eli_73_es_007.jpg

Tricia and Bill Rose at Auto Clinic of Naples have an extensive race/rally history driving classic Volvos and have developed/improved many performance upgrades.

Not that your ES will ever smoke your MB or Bimmer.

Did you finally get new keys for the car?

George Dill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information, Phil and George.

George, yes I did get the keys and car delivered the middle of this past week. I have been spending any spare time I had this week going over her and looking for the first potential problem I should tackle. Mostly I just stare at her, though. With Isaac coming and whipping us with bands I haven't taken her out of the garage but for 15 minutes to wash the cross country road grime of her. She's beautifully straight and appears to be pretty well cared for. Not perfect, by any means, but exactly what I wanted.

I gues this is as good a place as any so I'll tell you what I've found so far that I need/want to address over the next few months. I haven't put her in the air yet so this list might get longer...
-leaking coolant slowly from one place
-leaking oil slowly from two places
-DS front jack point partially rusted through where it meets the frame rail with rail involved slightly
-PS front jack point partially rusted through but doesn't involve frame rail
-about a dozen small dents/dings and a few areas of hand-applied paint touch-ups
-ignition key lock is broken around the outer ring; also engine will not stop if headlights are on, even if you take the key out of the ignition!
-PS amber side marker lens is cracked
-paint is original color, but I suspect not original paint; paint is pretty unevenly worn on the hood and pontoons and finely spidered around the A-pillars
-PS headlamp is cracked and chrome bezel is loose
-window scrapers are both loose and a little dry
-Engine compartment rubber gasket nearly dust
-under dash A/C blows warm
-aftermarket cruise control needs a sturdier bracket or I will just D/C it entirely, not decided yet
-lots of spliced wires in the engine compartment, not sure if this means there was a fire or if up there were just a lot of electrical issues that needed to be addressed; has hot spark ignition that looks fine, tho

All that being said it's very easy to extol her virtues. Straight body, everything works, lightly modded ride height was done correctly, lots of new parts that I have all receipts and records for, etc. I will post updates if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
George, I just opened that link in your post. Amazing, gorgeous car. I will definitely be giving the Roses a call...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have noticed that the keys are incredibly flimsy. Also, I noted at least 3 receipts from a locksmith in the paperwork the PO gave me with my new 73 ES. A small, hidden push button start would be ideal, I believe. Does anyone know of any issues that would preclude this in a 73 with a hot spark ignition?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
No issues worth worrying about. The only function you lose is that the accessories don't lose power while cranking the engine, and that's no big deal, IMHO.

The engine won't switch off if the headlights are on? That's very strange -- the headlight circuit doesn't have anything to do with the ignition at all, or shouldn't. It should be wired straight from unswitched battery power.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Thanks for the information, Phil and George.

George, yes I did get the keys and car delivered the middle of this past week. I have been spending any spare time I had this week going over her and looking for the first potential problem I should tackle. Mostly I just stare at her, though. With Isaac coming and whipping us with bands I haven't taken her out of the garage but for 15 minutes to wash the cross country road grime of her. She's beautifully straight and appears to be pretty well cared for. Not perfect, by any means, but exactly what I wanted.

I gues this is as good a place as any so I'll tell you what I've found so far that I need/want to address over the next few months. I haven't put her in the air yet so this list might get longer...
-leaking coolant slowly from one place
-leaking oil slowly from two places
-DS front jack point partially rusted through where it meets the frame rail with rail involved slightly
-PS front jack point partially rusted through but doesn't involve frame rail
-about a dozen small dents/dings and a few areas of hand-applied paint touch-ups
-ignition key lock is broken around the outer ring; also engine will not stop if headlights are on, even if you take the key out of the ignition!
-PS amber side marker lens is cracked
-paint is original color, but I suspect not original paint; paint is pretty unevenly worn on the hood and pontoons and finely spidered around the A-pillars
-PS headlamp is cracked and chrome bezel is loose
-window scrapers are both loose and a little dry
-Engine compartment rubber gasket nearly dust
-under dash A/C blows warm
-aftermarket cruise control needs a sturdier bracket or I will just D/C it entirely, not decided yet
-lots of spliced wires in the engine compartment, not sure if this means there was a fire or if up there were just a lot of electrical issues that needed to be addressed; has hot spark ignition that looks fine, tho

All that being said it's very easy to extol her virtues. Straight body, everything works, lightly modded ride height was done correctly, lots of new parts that I have all receipts and records for, etc. I will post updates if anyone is interested.
DoctorDel;

I merged all your '73 ES posts into one thread so we can address each area without getting lost.

Up front let me say this - make any changes one-at-a-time then check to see if all is operational before making the next change/repair etc.

Yes, the ignition key can be rewired to power the coil while an add-on push button starter switch engages the starter. This mod is very common but given your car's aftermarket ignition and modified wiring the connections would need to be made by "ear" (popping fuses).

I am working on moving Hurricane Isaac to the west as my garden needs rain.

George Dill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for that, George. Isaac has already worn out his welcome here.

Thanks for consolidating the posts. I'll probably try and track down those leaks first.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More additions to the list...

-battery pretty much dead
-D pillar interior trim pulled out from body, sloppily fitted
-rust in battery box, small spot entirely rusted through the firewall behind the battery

I am finding myself ever more relieved that I did not pay the asking price.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
More additions to the list...

-battery pretty much dead
-D pillar interior trim pulled out from body, sloppily fitted
-rust in battery box, small spot entirely rusted through the firewall behind the battery

I am finding myself ever more relieved that I did not pay the asking price.
Once the rain water drops below two feet in the garage...

At some point consider putting the car on a lift so you can safely walk around underneath with a large screwdriver in hand. Look for areas of undercoating and/or paint that do not match the surroundings. Press the point of that screwdriver very firmly into these areas. Major cancer in a non-weight-bearing area is no big deal but full rot in any support point is bad news.

When do you start making mandatory withdrawals from your 401K?

George Dill

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I have gone all around and under the ES and I think I have found everything that I can without the help of someone intimately familiar with these cars. The issues are not unreasonable in a car of this age, probably less severe than most others have. I plan on speaking with the Roses in Naples tomorrow to begin discussions for further plans, which will mostly focus on keeping the appearance completely unchanged but 1)getting all mechanicals optimized; 2)updating the steering, brakes and suspension; 3)cleaning up the interior a bit; 4)exploring just a little more power. When I decide on a color I plan on stripping and repainting next year; I will talk about that some more before making a decision, though, since the California white is an original color. The interior is likely going to be redone in black, however; the Smurf blue hasn't grown on me one iota since I took possession of her and I doubt it ever will.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
Well, I have gone all around and under the ES and I think I have found everything that I can without the help of someone intimately familiar with these cars. The issues are not unreasonable in a car of this age, probably less severe than most others have. I plan on speaking with the Roses in Naples tomorrow to begin discussions for further plans, which will mostly focus on keeping the appearance completely unchanged but 1)getting all mechanicals optimized; 2)updating the steering, brakes and suspension; 3)cleaning up the interior a bit; 4)exploring just a little more power. When I decide on a color I plan on stripping and repainting next year; I will talk about that some more before making a decision, though, since the California white is an original color. The interior is likely going to be redone in black, however; the Smurf blue hasn't grown on me one iota since I took possession of her and I doubt it ever will.

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.
Good show - looks like you plan to keep this fine ES and put a few dollars into improvements.

The B20 can be brought up to about 150-160hp with the usual mods including head work, cam, headers, exhaust, etc.

New black interior pieces are available but may require an early 401k withdrawal.

The brakes are more than adequate once brought up to OE standards.

Suspension upgrades are also shop-n-swap but be aware that hard plastic bushes and stiff shocks will make for a non-cruiser ride.

Since you will need the AC for your Texas Hill Country retirement the power steering option may be a no-go (no space available) but armstrong steering is needed only at very low speeds.

Let's roll!

George Dill

1 - 20 of 47 Posts