SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the full size tachometer today and the small quartz clock. I hooked it all up according to the directions, with the clock wiring going into the back of the tach. For some reason, the new small clock is not working. Any ideas?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check clock under hood, right at the battery to see if it actually works. If so, then use a voltmeter to check that your selected power source in the dash really has power. Then maybe bad ground?

·
Registered
691 Posts
How cold was it when you tried it out? The clocks are notorious for 'freezing up' - literally. Two capacitors go bad under cold conditions (failure temp can vary) and the clock stops, until it warms up again. There's an article out there (probably in the BB archives as well) describing how to fix this with a couple of replacement caps from Radio Shack. I've done three of 'em and they always work fine afterwards.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The clocks break. Sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't, and sometimes they only stop working in the cold. I don't think it was cold enough today for that to be the problem, however.

George, I have at least one spare clock, so I'll see if I have one that works.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I screwed something up in the install. Beyond the fact that it was 60 degrees yesterday, I went out to the car last night to check the lighting and the light above the new tach (old clock space) is not lighting, which makes me think there's a prob on my tach connections. I'm going to pull it out today and bring a voltimeter this time.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
I think I screwed something up in the install.
Did you wire the clock yourself, or use the little harness that may have come with it? I can tell you what those 3 terminals on the tach are supposed to go to on the clock when I get home tonight.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the 3-terminal harness, but I may need to reinstall it or even clean it first. That's where the connection seems to be bad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anyone know of a source for the tiny little lightbulbs used to illuminate the small gauges?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by spokanite69 (edited 03-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by spokanite69 (edited 03-11-2002).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts