SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a review of the XC40 and I saw that it can display a compass at the bottom of the gauge cluster between the speedo and tach. It's a nice feature for an otherwise blacked out section. Can this be turned on, on the V90, which I know has a compass in the mirror.

In the review I saw, it was displaying it with the music being displayed in the main center area of the cluster, so it's not like it had things set to navigation display all the time.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What page?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the non-answer. I already looked there and it only makes reference to a compass being available in certain driver settings. It was only once in the car later that I saw it's tied to "Off-Road", but in the XC40 review it did not appear to be that way, and I am trying to find out if it's configurable beyond Off-Road mode.

The only other compass references in the owner's manual are to the one in the rearview.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Thanks for the non-answer. I already looked there and it only makes reference to a compass being available in certain driver settings. It was only once in the car later that I saw it's tied to "Off-Road", but in the XC40 review it did not appear to be that way, and I am trying to find out if it's configurable beyond Off-Road mode.

The only other compass references in the owner's manual are to the one in the rearview.
I'd much rather have the instrument cluster tell me what the car's engine (coolant) temperature is -- something sadly missing on new Volvos.
Compass setting? Not important to me; I can look at a map or the sun's location in the sky, if I'm really curious as to my compass bearing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
This compass works only if you have an AWD vehicle, have selected the Off Road mode and you do not drive over a certain speed and you do not have the map or the media selected as an option for the middle part of the display between the two gauges. I have never used it cause it simply sounds and is too much work for such a small feature, especially when you know where you are going. Also in europe cars do not come equipped with compass in the mirror but there is another compass on the Sensus display when you have the map on.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
"In Off road mode, a compass will be displayed between the speedometer and the tachometer in the instrument panel."

I'm not aware of any way to show it otherwise. I looked in the XC40 owner's manual for you, but didn't find any additional information that wouldn't also apply to our V90s.

Edit: You can always display the navigation map or media info in that section, though. On the center display (the big touch screen) you can pull down the handle to open the vehicle settings. I believe it's under Vehicle Settings > Driver Display > and then you just choose what information to show in the driver display.

Please always post questions like this here before you look in the 1,000 page owner's manual. Some of us enjoy being able to help other people more than we enjoy being dismissive and insulting to them, and it would be a shame to lose that opportunity!

While we're helping people, Thommy may want to note that babysitter's don't usually help people find things in books. That's more of a librarian's job description. Take care!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts