SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the entire time I owned my S60 and XC90 I used Shell V Power until I moved to another state and don't have a convenient Shell station. I have a choice of BP and Mobil where I currently am. More BP than Mobil though. I know Mobil is Top Tier, but BP is not. I've read on BITOG that BP gas is very similar to Shell but BP just doesn't want to open their formula. I'm very suspicious of self serving claims such as that (e.g. "trust us").

Is there a consensus or verdict on BP gas? I like to pick a detrgent formula and stick with it.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
For the entire time I owned my S60 and XC90 I used Shell V Power until I moved to another state and don't have a convenient Shell station. I have a choice of BP and Mobil where I currently am. More BP than Mobil though. I know Mobil is Top Tier, but BP is not. I've read on BITOG that BP gas is very similar to Shell but BP just doesn't want to open their formula. I'm very suspicious of self serving claims such as that (e.g. "trust us").

Is there a consensus or verdict on BP gas? I like to pick a detrgent formula and stick with it.
I use either Sunoco Ultra 93 or BP Ulimate 93 for about 85% of my gas usage, and the other being from Exxon, Lukoil or Shell (I wish I could put V-Power more often but the price difference around me is not just $.05 but $.30-.40 difference so I don't fill up with Shell). I have no problem with BP gas and my cars always run fine with it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use either Sunoco Ultra 93 or BP Ulimate 93 for about 85% of my gas usage, and the other being from Exxon, Lukoil or Shell (I wish I could put V-Power more often but the price difference around me is not just $.05 but $.30-.40 difference so I don't fill up with Shell). I have no problem with BP gas and my cars always run fine with it.
Somehow there is a discount station next to Shell (QuickTrip in Ga, Sheetz in NC) which keeps their premium low. I'm after the best detergent not necessarily the best mileage. I used Sunoco when I lived in NY b/c they sold a 94-octane gas which my tuned WRX liked, not sure about their detergent content though.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Somehow there is a discount station next to Shell (QuickTrip in Ga, Sheetz in NC) which keeps their premium low. I'm after the best detergent not necessarily the best mileage. I used Sunoco when I lived in NY b/c they sold a 94-octane gas which my tuned WRX liked, not sure about their detergent content though.
Like I said, I've used BP for many years in 3 of my Volvo's in the past 8 years and never had a problem with BP detergents messing anything up with the motor, fuel pump or injectors; better detergents are going to net you better MPGs as well, and right now my S60RD is doing quite good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't think they have BP around here. I have been using Costco regular in BMW's as well as three different Lexus. No problems and usually Costco has the best price. On top of it, by using Costco's Amex card you are assured of a 3% rebate on all your gas purchases.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wouldn't be so concerned about the brand of fuel unless you can be confident of where it comes from.

When's the last time you saw a BP or Shell branded tanker truck?

Many times, local chains and mom 'n pops will use gasoline from the cheapest local distributor. Even the local Exxon sells the same fuel as the Quckie Mart from the same independent supplier (and it's not Exxon). There's only a few refineries and the fuel is transported to regional hubs and on down to the local level. Who knows how many times that gallon of gas has changed hands or if the branded gas stations are actually selling the house brand of go juice.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I wouldn't be so concerned about the brand of fuel unless you can be confident of where it comes from.

Many times, local chains and mom 'n pops will use gasoline from the cheapest local distributor. Even the local Exxon sells the same fuel as the Quckie Mart from the same independent supplier (and it's not Exxon). There's only a few refineries and the fuel is transported to regional hubs and on down to the local level. Who knows how many times that gallon of gas has changed hands or if the branded gas stations are actually selling the house brand of go juice.
Luckily I'm in NJ and have majority of the refineries here in the state; just about every tanker I see is branded for that gas station (except the mom n' pop stations).

·
Registered
56 Posts
We have our share of refineries here in TX. However, you never see any branded tankers. They all bring the fuel from the same storage tanks in east Ft Worth.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

Exactly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've never really thought of what fuel I put in my cars except for one rule - NO Am/Pm, ever! I mostly use Chevron 92/93 (or whatever premium is) and it runs just fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Branded trucks are unnecessary as the same trucks may distribute to different brands on different routes. All gasoline itself is the same all coming from most likely the same distributor in your area. It is when the gasoline is pumped into the tankers is when the additives for the particular brand are added. Here's a good article on gasoline http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/22/travel/driving-my-gasoline-beats-yours-doesn-t-it.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use Phillips 66 100% no ethanol gas. I'd use the others but there is 1 station locally that doesn't up charge for 100% gas.

I get about 3 MPGs per tank more with it compared to when the car was new and running 10% Ethanol gas. I ran 1 tank of it (because the dealer filled it up) before I switched.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts