SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had an issue with the cargo-divider in the trunk no longer remaining in the "up" position, by itself?

For clarity, this is the cover/divider that must be secured in the down position before the roof is lowered, and defines the safe area for luggage, with the roof down.

When the divider is raised, it is held up by two small gas-springs, or gas-struts, one on either side.

Anyway, one of the two struts has lost its gas pressure in my car, and so the divider is sagging on that side. I've figured out that the right part number is 30633436 (applies to both sides - I plan on getting two), and several online parts sites have it for $21-24, roughly.

The top end of the strut is pretty visible/accessible, and is held in place with a little bolt/stud. But undoing the bottom end is a little less obvious. It's basically covered by some plastic pieces.

Has anyone replaced one of these gas-struts yet? If so, does the plastic covering piece (on the inside of the strut) just pop off? (I hate these snap-in parts where you are never sure how much force to apply, or if there is some "trick" to removing them....) If not, is there some other sort of trick to removing the lower end of the gas-strut?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
sorry, haven't done mine yet. definitely report back if you figure it out. some of us with older c70s will probably be close behind you and benefit

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have this issue recently. It doesn't fold back/up all the way by itself and when closing the boot it won't close and the (heavy) boot bounces of the divider. I am going to mention it on my next service appointment which is coming up soon. I'll let you know what they say/do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Quick follow-up to my original post:

I ended up ordering replacement gas springs for both sides of the cargo divider. As mentioned in my OP, the part number for the gas spring is 30633436, which applies to both sides. I paid $22 and change per spring.

Replacement is simple, once you get over the "fear" of popping off the plastic covers that cover up the lower attachment point of each spring. There is no trick to doing this, just pry them off and they will pop off. The lower attachment points are little spring-clips that get pushed off the end of the spring strut, sideways. At the upper end, the gas spring is held in place by a plastic "stud", that also pops out. Just stick a flat-bladed screwdriver underneath the "round bolt head" end of the stud, and pry it out. These should be re-usable, although in my case I broke one by trying to push it out from the other side..... (As an aside, the part number for the plastic studs is 9181590, and they cost about $6.)

One of my gas springs had completely leaked-down and was no longer a spring. The other one seemed basically OK, although it might have been a bit weaker than the new ones. In any case, it wasn't enough to hold up the cargo divider by itself, and I replaced both sides.

After the new springs are in, just pop the plastic covers back on - it's hard to describe in words, but how these fit on is obvious, once you can look at the "inside" of the cover.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
thanks for sharing and updating!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Does the trunk divider go all the way up on its own? I have to push mine back up against the backseat or the trunk won't close. The dealer says it was designed that way but I don't believe it. I remember that the divider just moved all the way back/up on its own. Can you guys confirm? Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Does the trunk divider go all the way up on its own? I have to push mine back up against the backseat or the trunk won't close. The dealer says it was designed that way but I don't believe it. I remember that the divider just moved all the way back/up on its own. Can you guys confirm? Thanks.

I push mine up, but it does have some resistance on it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

It does seem to 'lift' up out of the way; but it takes a push to lock it into place in that lifted position.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks guys. So it seems it's normal to have to give it that last push. Mine might just be a bit loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently let go of '96 850 Turbo (Platinum Edition) and bought '07 C70 T5 - Magic Blue Pearl. Still miss my Platinum Brick :facepalm:

I followed this thread to replace both divider shocks in the trunk. Mines were wobbly and the resistance was not even-sided. Sure enough one shock was very weak and the other one was leaking oil.

I used the paint can opener (a freebie from Home Depot) to pry the top plastic grommet.

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just stick a flat-bladed screwdriver underneath the "round bolt head" end of the stud, and pry it out. These should be re-usable,

I know it has been a couple years since you posted this, but I am getting ready to replace mine (2007 C70). Pistons are on the way. I had no problem removing the plastic cover and the clips but that plastic stud is really tough. Mine has a philips screw head on one end so I was hoping I could "grab" the round bolt head and screw the "bolt" out...but like you alluded to, this looks to be one piece. So it is just a matter of prying hard enough??

Interesting that volvo uses clips on both ends of the pistons that hold trunk lids up, but had to choose a "worse" way for a lighter plastic trunk cover...

·
Registered
180 Posts
ordered the gas struts from www.fcpeuro.com will advise results when they become available
Today the Trunk divider struts came from FCP Euro.

As others said don't be afraid of prying off the lower plastic enclosure. Upper, while it looks like a screw, is actually a tab that needs pried out.

Really does the job of holding up the divider so it doesn't fall . $55 well spent IMHO. Wish I had a 22 year old back instead of a 72 year old one . Dang it aches!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quick follow-up to my original post:

I ended up ordering replacement gas springs for both sides of the cargo divider. As mentioned in my OP, the part number for the gas spring is 30633436, which applies to both sides. I paid $22 and change per spring.

Replacement is simple, once you get over the "fear" of popping off the plastic covers that cover up the lower attachment point of each spring. There is no trick to doing this, just pry them off and they will pop off. The lower attachment points are little spring-clips that get pushed off the end of the spring strut, sideways. At the upper end, the gas spring is held in place by a plastic "stud", that also pops out. Just stick a flat-bladed screwdriver underneath the "round bolt head" end of the stud, and pry it out. These should be re-usable, although in my case I broke one by trying to push it out from the other side..... (As an aside, the part number for the plastic studs is 9181590, and they cost about $6.)

One of my gas springs had completely leaked-down and was no longer a spring. The other one seemed basically OK, although it might have been a bit weaker than the new ones. In any case, it wasn't enough to hold up the cargo divider by itself, and I replaced both sides.

After the new springs are in, just pop the plastic covers back on - it's hard to describe in words, but how these fit on is obvious, once you can look at the "inside" of the cover.
These instructions were just what I needed. I could use a younger back and better eyesight though. The encouraging words of just pop it off really helped me with every step. Worth all the trouble. Definitely should not have waited so long to fix them. Thank you so much!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts