SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a new R-Design owner. Only driven a couple hundred miles so far. We do a ton of start/stop driving here in Long Island with a little bit (not much) of highway tossed in. I'm only getting about 15 mpg with the "comfort" selection on.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought I'd be closer to 20. What are you guys getting?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
On tanks where I have mixed highway driving, but still majority city and suburb, I average 22. When I go a whole tank with city/suburb I get 19-20. I keep reading about these people averaging closer to 25 but they must be driving under very different conditions. 15 does seem low. How many miles is that average based on?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Also where is the reading from? The 'driver performance' app specs are different than my trip computer specs. Since there are two trip computers I leave the first one alone and let us record for long term eval, the second one resets automatically so it's useful for daily mpg numbers.

Even days when I am exclusively in NYC traffic I get better than 15mpg and on a long road trip I do easily get 25.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So, I'm a new R-Design owner. Only driven a couple hundred miles so far. We do a ton of start/stop driving here in Long Island with a little bit (not much) of highway tossed in. I'm only getting about 15 mpg with the "comfort" selection on.

Am I doing something wrong? I thought I'd be closer to 20. What are you guys getting?
15 does sounds pretty low. Is this your first tank courtesy of the dealer? I believe the dealer pumped 87 at delivery on mine (and probably on many other tanks), I got poor mpg but ever since the first tank I'm getting close to 20 with mix of high way and lots of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have about 700 miles, mostly highway driving - may be about 100 of them could be in the city. I am averaging above 23 currently, may be the fuel makes a difference? I always use 93.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I've gotten 20 mpg city and 23 hwy/city mix since purchase without fail.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I noticed poor mileage on tank 1 also, then reset the Driver Performance to start a new trip. That reflected 21 MPG for "mixed use" on my R-Design. I would reset the performance setting and fill with 93 (per the other comments). Premium fuel does indeed seem to make a noticeable difference in the XC90. I should note that I have been very pleased with the City and HWY numbers I have gotten since my first fill. Doesn't EVER seem to dip below 21 (I should clarify that I don't reset the computer every trip, so this is over a period of time). On long HWY trips I am seeing 23-24 (and that is with a big roof box).

·
Registered
99 Posts
My average over the first 2K miles, 90% city miles, is only 15.9mpg per the computer. I've been fairly sedate with my driving too. Getting about the same mileage as my bi-turbo V8 X5, that I romped on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on my second tank (93 octane). The dealer gave me the first one...who knows what they used. I admit I'm about 90% city driving...start/stop etc. But, I'm at 14.5 now. Are any of you using ECO? Comfort seems to drain me. Dynamic probably would be worse.

I do have a heavy foot at times, but I don't think that can be causing this. Maybe I just need to keep driving and see if it averages out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
I'm on my second tank (93 octane). The dealer gave me the first one...who knows what they used. I admit I'm about 90% city driving...start/stop etc. But, I'm at 14.5 now. Are any of you using ECO? Comfort seems to drain me. Dynamic probably would be worse.

I do have a heavy foot at times, but I don't think that can be causing this. Maybe I just need to keep driving and see if it averages out. Thanks again.
New engines are notorious for being tight, and/or taking a while to adjust. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until you have at least 1,000 miles down.

We're getting 22 in mixed city/hwy. I have to drive the P* like a hooligan to get 14.5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a little over 1k with my R. In comfort the past 200-300 I am getting around 21 mixed. Mostly city. surburban hilly area in Fairfield county CT. Trip to Long Island (aka strong island?? Sorry. Had to go there) was 25 mpg. Dynamic is a LOT worse. Probably 15 ish. It defaults to aggressive. But a LOT of fun too!! First 2 tanks were less, got better each time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had mine for about 2300 miles. I'm averaging 20 in mixed driving (70/30 city/highway). A recent long highway trip took the average to 24. I drive in Comfort and disable the Auto-Stop feature half the time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
8500 miles, about 50/50 city/highway - 22.5 mpg overall - 50% comfort, 40% eco, 10% dynamic

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I do think the engine is a bit tight at this point. I'll keep putting in good gas and keeping a close eye on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Has anybody manually calculated your tanks and average fuel consumption? I am curious at how far off the system computer is from real world measurements.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Has anybody manually calculated your tanks and average fuel consumption? I am curious at how far off the system computer is from real world measurements.
I do and mine has been spot-on correct.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update...I'm at 400 miles and still getting pretty crappy 15 mpg. My wife is using it a ton in local start/stop traffic. Looks like avg speed is 13mph. (It is Long Island after all). What avg speed do you guys have?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Update...I'm at 400 miles and still getting pretty crappy 15 mpg. My wife is using it a ton in local start/stop traffic. Looks like avg speed is 13mph. (It is Long Island after all). What avg speed do you guys have?
15mpg might not be too far off for a lot of stop and go traffic, city driving etc.

I had a Subaru Outback before my XC90 that averaged 23 mpg in blended city/highway driving. If I went all city, in lots of traffic, I'd drop down to 16-17mpg.

Do you have a trip planned where you can do some highway mileage? Maybe that'll show normal numbers and you'll be able to see that city is the issue.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts