SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting? I have a 2001 S40 that I bought in November. When I got it I was using it to commute daily into NYC (real city driving), and I was able to go around 325 miles on a tank of gas. I have since moved to Phoenix, where everything is spread out and flat. In the past few weeks I have had a significant reduction in gas mileage. I can now only go 200 miles on a tank of gas. It boils down to about 17mpg. <P>The dealer has checked the car twice, and assures me that it is "operating to specs", but I can't believe that. The loaner S40 that they gave me got excellent gas mileage. I don't know what else to do. I fill it up with Super, don't accelerate rapidly, and don't really drive at high speeds. Anyone have any ideas? I'm curious to know how many miles other S40 owners can go on a tank of gas, or if anyone else is having this problem.<P>Thanks for any help that you can give.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is that based upon the odometer/trip or calculated at the pump? <P>That much of a reduction sounds bad. That is a typical dealer response. The sticker puts your car at about 28mpg, which is in line with what you got in NY (in winter). Suddenly, you see a 30% drop, and the dealer says that it normal. Is there another dealer in town? Is there a garage that specializes in volvos? <P>I don't have an S40, but I get 18mpg on my 940Turbo, all city driving, 131k miles on the odometer. That is a much heavier with similar output (when new).<P>

·
Registered
3 Posts
17 mpg is definitely too low. I live in Phoenix and drive a 2000 V40, using Mobil premium gas. While the driving around here doesn't help mpg or brakes (0-55-0 mph in a mile), I usually average 23-24 mpg with moderately hard driving. This number seems to be about right according to other posts I've read in the past.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
bout right and with the new 5 speed auto at 55 MPH I get over 40 MPG, got that niffty trip MPG computer to waste my time with!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents...<P>I'm averaging just above 24 mpg in my 2001 V70 T5. And that includes several jaunts to 100 mph on each tank. Your smaller car should be doing better than that!<P>- Darell

·
Registered
35 Posts
In my 2001 V40 T4, I get an average of 27mpg around town and out on the highway at 70mph (corrected road speed), I've seen as high as 39.4mpg!! Having said that, my car has some simple mods like a better exhaust system and cone air filter.<P>Ironically, believe it or not, if you fit the front nose mask (availble from your dealer), it seems to improve the aerodynamics of the car and offer better mileage too.....weird but consistently true on my previous S/V40s, in addition to my present car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is the tire pressure correct? Have you changed oil and filter since moving to Arizona, using correct weight oil? Have you been using AC a lot? Have you been carrying loads? <BR>17 mpg sounds really odd. Can you think of anything that you've done differently in the last few weeks? -Paul

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just got my 2k1 S40 and its been getting only around 23-25 mpg. Its not getting 17 like jonboy34 but its still kinda low. I've taken one long trip so far (over 100 miles) and did the speed limit ( 65mph ) and even then it did not come to near 30 miles per gallon. very odd....<BR>

·
Registered
18 Posts
It sounds like there is a serious problem. I recently took my S40 2.0T from Prague to Budapest (about 550 km, or 330 mi) averaging 136 km/h (about 85 mph) and used about 50 litres of gas (about 13.5 gallons). That made my gas mileage around 11 km/litre (around 24.5 mpg). Much of this was extremely high speed driving (190 km/h or 120+ mph), and there was a lot of city driving (Prague, Bratislava) and idling (two border crossings).<BR>So I think you should find another dealer or a good mechanic to have a closer look at things...<p>[This message has been edited by zanthalon (edited 05-16-2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the car is at the dealership again. I insisted that they look at this problem in depth, and they are going to try. I've noticed a decline in performance, kind of like the turbo is going. The engine is knocking even though I only use 92 octane Chevron gas. At $1.95 per gallon, this problem is beginning to cost me a lot of money. It costs me $22.00 to go 200 miles. <P>It sounds as if you all are getting pretty good gas mileage, so I will relay that to the dealer as well. Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted. <P>p.s. anyone have trouble with their a/c fan cutting off in the auto mode?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts