SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know it. When you get a new car you pretty quickly have to establish two things: a) how accurate is the speedometer so that I know how fast I really go (it's beyond me why it is not just 100% accurate on all new cars) and b) how much buffer does the tank meter give me?

On my XC90 the answers seem to be a) 100% accurate, ie must be GPS controlled and b) none at all. The latter surprised me, I had a yellow tank icon and about 10 miles left on the range when I went to get gas, I tanked about 18.2 gallons which means I must really have been running on fumes since the tank capacity according to google (it's not mentioned in the users manual!?) is 18.5 gallons. Is this also what you guys have found and isn't it a bit risky? Shouldn't there be an audible alarm and a blinking something when you get that low on gas? Or does the car really have a hidden reserve tank with x miles on it?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
My experience has been pretty much the same. When my light came on it had 30 miles range left but I knew the station I was heading for was about another 5 miles away. I had been driving highway quite a bit do I also knew the range estimate was 'locked in' pretty accurate for me continuing my highway driving. I filled up with 17.5 gallons which left me with a gallon left, aprox. 25 miles.

So yeah, I find the range fairly accurate IF you do a mix of driving. If you do all city or all highway for a long time and then go do the other, it will take time for the estimate to recalculate/even out.

I also noticed this car doesn't like topping off or adding a bit more gas after the handle clicks off. Even rounding up from say 25.33 to $26 can get gas to pour out. I just leave it where it clicks off at. I've had cars where I could often throw in another half gallon.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Shouldn't there be an audible alarm and a blinking something when you get that low on gas? Or does the car really have a hidden reserve tank with x miles on it?
Seriously, another audible alarm to alert you that you're that low on gas. Let's see, you have a gas gauge and then a yellow "low fuel" light but that's not enough?

·
Registered
673 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Several years ago while driving home on the freeway my low fuel warning light came on. I was just 10-15 miles away from home so I kept going, but was feeling a bit nervous just the same. Finally my exit came up, ah relief. But as I drove onto the off ramp my car stalled, no fuel left. Amazingly the inertia I had was just enough to get me to the end of the ramp, make a right turn, and just coast into the gas station that was at the corner of the exit ramp, coming to a stop right in front of a gas pump. I am still amazed to this day at how it worked out. Never want to cut it that close again, so I never let the tank get below 1/4 full now.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Several years ago while driving home on the freeway my low fuel warning light came on. I was just 10-15 miles away from home so I kept going, but was feeling a bit nervous just the same. Finally my exit came up, ah relief. But as I drove onto the off ramp my car stalled, no fuel left. Amazingly the inertia I had was just enough to get me to the end of the ramp, make a right turn, and just coast into the gas station that was at the corner of the exit ramp, coming to a stop right in front of a gas pump. I am still amazed to this day at how it worked out. Never want to cut it that close again, so I never let the tank get below 1/4 full now.
Was it a Volvo?
I drive Volvo exclusively since 1999. Many different models and model years. All of them have at least 2 gallons of reserve after the message 0 miles to empty. I was never stranded in Volvo, but have been in Mazda and Nissan, where 0 means 0.
In my pretty vast experience - you have 70 - 80 miles after Volvo shows the low fuel orange light, and still 15-20 miles, at least, after the 0 to empty reading.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Marshall,
You reminded me of a situation that happened in my younger days and unfortunately, I didn't make it to the station! So driving other cars and since driving Volvo vehicles for some time now, I just use the "NBR" philosophy or no-buffer-required. So, due to the past experience and since doing as you write, I also never let the tank fall below the 1/4 mark and that's a rule that I always practice now!!! ;)
Serg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aha, the plot thickens with gasco80's post. Although if there really is a buffer then it's somehow inaccessible when refuelling, or the gas tank is really more than the 18.5 gallons that is the car's spec. Only way we will ever really know is if someone runs out of fuel or can confirm that they have fueled more than 18.5 gallons in one go.

Reg alerts, I don't think an audible alert is a big ask given the severity of running out of fuel. It could be connected to the nav system, so if it sees that you are about to leave the range of the nearest gas station then a loud warning would be in order. In other cars you at least have some kind of escalating warning system, at the very least a blinking red tank icon would be expected.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Seriously, another audible alarm to alert you that you're that low on gas. Let's see, you have a gas gauge and then a yellow "low fuel" light but that's not enough?
What light are you referring to? It must be pretty subtle. I have gotten down to 10 miles to empty a couple times and other than the gauge subtly changing color there is no other visible alert that caught my attention. It was only because I proactively looked at the tiny digital gauge that I noticed. I would like an audible alert too, like with every other car I have owned.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
+1
the gas gauge is so small. I almost ran out of gas a few times because of it. Maybe because I got used to big warning lights and audible alerts from other cars.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Aha, the plot thickens with gasco80's post. Although if there really is a buffer then it's somehow inaccessible when refuelling, or the gas tank is really more than the 18.5 gallons that is the car's spec. Only way we will ever really know is if someone runs out of fuel or can confirm that they have fueled more than 18.5 gallons in one go.
US Spec is 71 liters or 18.8 gallons. FYI.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What light are you referring to? It must be pretty subtle. I have gotten down to 10 miles to empty a couple times and other than the gauge subtly changing color there is no other visible alert that caught my attention. It was only because I proactively looked at the tiny digital gauge that I noticed. I would like an audible alert too, like with every other car I have owned.
+1, not just every other car ... my XC60 was pretty assertive when indicating low fuel: BIG YELLOW icon in the middle of the screen repeated at every car start. As I've said in another thread, visible/audible low fuel alert in the driver screen and in the hud is a big wish for me!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was it a Volvo?
I drive Volvo exclusively since 1999. Many different models and model years. All of them have at least 2 gallons of reserve after the message 0 miles to empty. I was never stranded in Volvo, but have been in Mazda and Nissan, where 0 means 0.
In my pretty vast experience - you have 70 - 80 miles after Volvo shows the low fuel orange light, and still 15-20 miles, at least, after the 0 to empty reading.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
No, a different brand. I might have been able to drive a bit further if the road had been flat & level, but the exit ramp was a fairly steep rise, so that might have contributed to fuel starvation based on the fuel tank design.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts