SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found out the hard way that zero miles left really does mean zero miles. Usually with most cars when reading zero miles, you can get a few to get to the gas station. Not on our xc90. Engine stopped and wouldn't restart right at the zero mark.

Just an FYI

Jason

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've gotten down to 10 miles to go a couple times. My question is does it start counting down in single digit increments or could you at any time drop from 10 to 0 and stall? I never saw mine get below 10 and wondered if it really could be at 1 and I wouldn't know it.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I've gotten down to 10 miles to go a couple times. My question is does it start counting down in single digit increments or could you at any time drop from 10 to 0 and stall? I never saw mine get below 10 and wondered if it really could be at 1 and I wouldn't know it.
Does the new models only count in five mile increments? If so, that drives me batty.

My XC60 goes from 15 miles to E to --- with no warning. I'm constantly forgetting I don't actually have 25 miles to E but rather 10 miles. It's disturbing that this is this way. :facepalm:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Found out the hard way that zero miles left really does mean zero miles. Usually with most cars when reading zero miles, you can get a few to get to the gas station. Not on our xc90. Engine stopped and wouldn't restart right at the zero mark.
Let's call that Swedish precision. You would want it any other way?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went from 10 to 0

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Does the new models only count in five mile increments? If so, that drives me batty.

My XC60 goes from 15 miles to E to --- with no warning. I'm constantly forgetting I don't actually have 25 miles to E but rather 10 miles. It's disturbing that this is this way. :facepalm:
10 mile increments, not 5.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Thanks for the info, I don't dare take it below 30 but it's good to know I can in a pinch.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts

I 100% agree. It's ridiculous. As I've said before on this forum, the DTE calculation on my XC60 is useless to me.

I almost ran out of fuel about month ago because of it. I was cruising along with the CC at highway speeds on a level roadway. The DTE calculation on on my XC60 said 45 miles until empty. WRONG. After less than 20 miles, the DTE showed --- and the fuel gauge was showing empty. I had been traveling at that speed and for over an hour so it wasn't as if the trip computer needed to recalculate for new conditions all of a sudden.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yeah, not the same. The dash shows it in 10 mile increments.
I can't fathom why this is the way it is. Not when the app is obviously tied into the car yet the car can't even display what the app shows.

Who came up with this? Volvo needs to have a talk with them and fix this.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, not the same. The dash shows it in 10 mile increments.
I can't fathom why this is the way it is. Not when the app is obviously tied into the car yet the car can't even display what the app shows.

Who came up with this? Volvo needs to have a talk with them and fix this.
Agreed. This is just stupid on Volvo that the app has more accurate data then the vehicle itself. However it should be an easy fix via software update you would think?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Agreed. This is just stupid on Volvo that the app has more accurate data then the vehicle itself. However it should be an easy fix via software update you would think?
I doubt the app is more accurate. I suspect the presentation layer just has a different algorithm for the user interface of the app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you have 10 miles left nothing needs to be fixed. Stop and get gas.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If you have 10 miles left nothing needs to be fixed. Stop and get gas.

:D

Unfortunately, you aren't always within 10 miles of a station or at least one that is open when you need it.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ummm, the warning to refuel come on long before 10 miles... Why wait so long to refuel and tempt fate?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Ummm, the warning to refuel come on long before 10 miles... Why wait so long to refuel and tempt fate?

That is the obvious question, Chris.

Fuel warning light comes on at 25 --> 0. I never wait that long anyway; once the gauge shows 1/3 of a tank left, I fill up and I never have to worry about any warning lights.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

Many reasons.

And I've said this before. Respectfully, Sweden needs to stop thinking like everyone does things like Sweden does. Sometimes you are out driving and don't have stations open where you are in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes you are trying to reach a specific station (for some reason). And sometimes you misjudge how much gas you have vs how many miles you have to go.

That last point is one that Volvo is screwing up because it's Volvo giving a driver inaccurate information to make a decision.

The other two points are not Volvos fault and are either circumstantial or the drivers fault.

But a car giving bad information to a driver is 100% Volvos fault. And bad UI design. Why not just take the fuel gauge completely out and have the driver just guess when it will run out of fuel? That's pretty much what the result is.

I guess the better answer to your question is why build a tool/gauge that's inaccurate and expect the driver to not be concerned?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.