SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snow season has begun. The other night I cleared my car out of snow and headed to fill some gas. That's where the problem emerged - the gas cap door was frozen (or more precisely - the plastic mechanism inside).

I got it open by asking a guy to press the release button while I pulled on the door.

How do you keep yours during the winter - is there something I can spray on to prevent it from freezing again?

(I know there is a way to open it from inside the trunk, but I really don't want to do that every time I fill up in the winter)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'd say any type of spray grease (white lithium) on and in the slide point for the release latch would prevent ice from accumulating on it. Does the door work flawlessly even above freezing?

It's that cold already out there?! 60 in NY right now!

·
Banned
556 Posts
Was in the 50s in Northern NJ today.

Get some PB Blaster! De-iced a frozen lock on a Nissan I had. Worked perfectly for as long as I had the car after. Stuff is GOOD!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had one last year but I moved. It was nice indeed, but now my rent is half of what I was paying last year. I figured the car can take it...

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Definitely lubrication.

As for the trunk access, on my C70 it actually was really nice the way they designed the manual release, it's just a string inside the taillight access cover, the same one you remove to change the bulbs. You just give the string a tug and it pulls the lever just the same as the motor. Maybe just take a look and see if the S is set up the same so that you know for sure how to do it when nobody else is around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts