SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seen a garrett turbo on eBay been referbed for a very good price. Its come off a 2006 D5 engine. Just wandered if the turbo fitment on a D5 was the same as the 2.0d engine. Would definitely add some poke to my car :p

Any help or thoughts are usefull. And any info on what turbos i could use for my 2.0d would be great!

I have an uprated diesel rally turbo ready to use at the mo. But would prefer something more refined...

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
2.0D uses GT1749V
D5 uses GT2052V

Not sure if it is a plug and play, let us know after you do the swap. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
You will have a lot of turbo lagg. I asked the same question to a tuner. I have the 1.6D. They said it would ruin the car if you use it as a daily driver. And its not a plug and play.

What turbo uses the 1.6D?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm even with a small turbo?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
"mJrO" on here (manuel) has done the turbo upgrade from a 2.0D to a D5 turbo. bigger intercooler, oil cooler and some other stuff is involved... maybe he'll chime in, otherwise just send him a message?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankkkks! Ill drop him a mesg now!

Sent from my Samsung S3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did anything come of this in the end? I'd really like to get some more power out of my 2.0D engien. I've added a Heico zorst and Focus ST intercooler. I'm yet to get a remap but thats in the pipe line. I'd like 200 bhp or possible 210 without pushing the engine too far.

Any advice please?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never got a mesg back from the above mentioned bloke. Im going to be use a referbed turbo off an S40 D5. There's a few about on ebay. Im having a manifold made at a local exhaust shop. Already got a much bigger intercooler ready to go, had a few issues fitting it last time. But it's getting there, im looking to push 235 bhp ish from it all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey there,

Just saw the messages today. Basically I also used a D5 turbo, bigger IC (700mm tall), oil cooler and 3bar map sensor. Plus a custom tune!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I never got a mesg back from the above mentioned bloke. Im going to be use a referbed turbo off an S40 D5. There's a few about on ebay. Im having a manifold made at a local exhaust shop. Already got a much bigger intercooler ready to go, had a few issues fitting it last time. But it's getting there, im looking to push 235 bhp ish from it all.

Very interested to see how this turns out and your only down the road from myself. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey there,

Just saw the messages today. Basically I also used a D5 turbo, bigger IC (700mm tall), oil cooler and 3bar map sensor. Plus a custom tune!
And whats the lag like running the D5 turbo? Is there much difference between the 2.0D turbo and the D5 turbo running wise like pressures?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where do you live?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah cool. Nice to see a fellow volvo modder around here. Ive nt seen a modded volvo on the road

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a few bits done and still some more in the pipeline. I'd like to see 200 bhp from here. At the moment I've got a heico exhaust, heico lowering springs, ipd anti roll bar, focus st front brakes and focus st intercooler.

I want to get an ITG air filter and then get it remapped. Would like the egr deleted too. See where I'm at there and if there is room for improvement then I'd like to look at the turbo route.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Picking up this old thread.

Is the D5 turbo bolt-on? Or do i need a new manifold?
Is the car still "driveable as a daily driver"? :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I too would like to know how you got on with this. What did you have to do to fit the turbo? Would love to be pushing upwards of 200bhp out of mine. What HP did your 2.0D come with, 136?

Another thing that I'd be concerned about is the reliability of the other parts of the engine/transmission, such as how the clutch, flywheel and gearbox will cope with all that extra bhp and torque?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I thought the D5 turbo is integrated into the exhaust manifold and thus having 5 tubes.

Changing the turbo isn't worth the hassle I think or the money :p
Upgrading the intercooler with a Ford Focus ST/RS and increasing diameter of the tubing, air-filter, DPF-delete and straight-thrue exhaust and chiptuning. will get you over the 200bhp mark. But I don't know if your clutch and gearbox likes all that torque :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts